Rear sub frame replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just as we would expect MB USA know 'the powers that be' have real power over there and would come down hard on them if someone got hurt . In Europe ? Don't hold your breath.
I think it's called The Power Of Class Action, much like the MB sunroof debacle

I wonder how many affected vehicles will simply be scrapped by their owners, when their "local garage" or MOT tester reports back to them that the subframe is failing & that they do not believe it can be welded satisfactorily.

That exact scenario has been highlighted by one of my earlier posts on the subject . my mate who owns a garage and does MOT failed a nice W204 C class due to subframe , the lady owner asked him to scrap it. As I said in that post his guys are now instructed to look especially closely ate MB 204's that come in.

That is in the US.

But in the UK I think the criteria is there must be a hole, not just corrosion.
I took my 2014 E63 into Maidstone MB today after my MOT last week had the rear subframe as an advisory (corrosion)
After the Inspection I was advised it was just minor surface rust and didn't require replacement. Only if its holed do they get replaced was the feedback from the service advisor.
They are sending me a video of the inspection.

The term "holed" is a bit benign to be honest. Failure normally occurs when one or more of the brackets where the five x 2 rear suspension arms attach are torn from the main body of the subframe - leaving a gap/s. This occurs because they are the input site of major mechanical stress and thus a focus for failure when weakened by corrosion. "Holed" gives the impression of a gradual process like a wing slowly rusting away whereas the reality is a sudden structural failure!

As others, I disagree that it's not a safety issue. I have had a few cars recovered in after they have broken!

Also, its in the dealers best interests to get them pushed through. They are being paid by MB to do them. Other "safety" issues that get brought up may result in further work for them (pads, discs, tyres)

Post #43

2014 E class was never mentioned in the 'subframe issue' . It's mostly W/S 204 C class 2007 onwards . My own 2006 S203 c class (150K+ miles) has some surface rust on the subframe , but it is just that ...surface rust.

The 2007 w204 c class subframe 'problem' is something else altogether.

Post #43

2014 E class was never mentioned in the 'subframe issue' . It's mostly W/S 204 C class 2007 onwards . My own 2006 S203 c class (150K+ miles) has some surface rust on the subframe , but it is just that ...surface rust.

The 2007 w204 c class subframe 'problem' is something else altogether.

Affected models are
W204
R171
R172
W212
W218
R231

I'm assuming that X218 is also in that list along with W128?

I'm going to have to get under mine and have a look tomorrow.

I took my 2014 E63 into Maidstone MB today after my MOT last week had the rear subframe as an advisory (corrosion)
After the Inspection I was advised it was just minor surface rust and didn't require replacement. Only if its holed do they get replaced was the feedback from the service advisor.
They are sending me a video of the inspection.
The subframe fault causes it to rot from inside out so it won’t become apparent the extent of rot until the areas connected to the rear wheel joints snap as in my c class but Mercedes will or should replace it free of charge.

Is there any way of assessing it from the outside rather than waiting for it to snap? The underside of mine does have some corrosion, things like the lower arms that carry the shock and air spring have a reasonable amount of rust. The sub frame itself looks like it just has a touch here and there on the surface.

Is there any way of assessing it from the outside rather than waiting for it to snap? The underside of mine does have some corrosion, things like the lower arms that carry the shock and air spring have a reasonable amount of rust. The sub frame itself looks like it just has a touch here and there on the surface.
I would ask a Mercedes dealership to assess it and see if they think it warrants replacement now before things get dangerous, I would strongly state to them that it is a know fault that they are aware of and also that others have had their sub frames replaced FOC before it causes any serious safety issue, this pic attached is the exact area on both side of sun frame which always seems to fail

Attachments

• IMG_1800.png
    IMG_1800.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 27
Here's my paperwork for proof it does get done FOC if they try it on
Hope it helps

Attachments

• IMG-20230508-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230508-WA0001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 50
Hope it helps

"Goodwill warranty"... I guess their legal advisors won't allow them to admit anything... which sadly means that the "Goodwill warranty" remains discretionary.

Hope it helps

How did you approach them, I'll be taking my wife's C class in to Warrington MB as well, probably next week, to have this chat.
Did you lead on 30 year warranty, or known issue?

Thanks

How did you approach them, I'll be taking my wife's C class in to Warrington MB as well, probably next week, to have this chat.
Did you lead on 30 year warranty, or known issue?

Thanks
The 30 year warranty will not apply.

The 30 year warranty will not apply.

True, the anti perforation warranty does not cover suspension components, only chassis and body panels.

When the subframe is replaced FOC, it's a goodwill contribution. This is because no official recall exists in the UK for the rear subframe corrosion issue.

It was done by the previous owner as far as I'm aware he just took it in to inspect it as he had read about the issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom