Rear subframe corrosion 2005slk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrenmoore

Car
Slk
Hi I have a 2005slk,just had mot was told rear subframe corroded,they said Mercedes will replace free of charge,is this true.im wondering if they only do it if I have a warranty,which I do not,thanks for the help

No car of that age will have a warranty.

Did the car fail the MOT or was the corrosion an advisory?

MB have been replacing subframe free on a large number of vehicles. The majority are C Class W204 types but they have also replaced them on some E Class and SLK models.

The only way to find out is to ask your local MB dealer to inspect the car and to get them to submit a claim however, at 17 years old they may chose not to do so.

Good luck.

Our 2005 SLK had a badly corroded rear subframe in November 2021. Failed MOT and declared too dangerous to drive. The indie that looks after it knew of several that had collapsed whilst being driven. So it went to our local MB dealer on a truck. After four weeks MB agreed it would be repaired free of charge. It took ages. Everytime the dealer supplied information they wanted more. More details, more pictures, general condition of bodywork, interior etc. Pretty sure they were looking for a way to refuse but could not find one. It had done 50,000 miles, immaculate condition (still has the protective plastic film on the climate screen). After 6 weeks it was back. We were supplied an E220d coupe for use whilst this happened. In summary it is a well known issue despite what MB or the dealer may tell you and yes they are replacing them for free. MB service history is not needed but they will go over it to try and find a reason to refuse. Good luck.

No car of that age will have a warranty.

Did the car fail the MOT or was the corrosion an advisory?

MB have been replacing subframe free on a large number of vehicles. The majority are C Class W204 types but they have also replaced them on some E Class and SLK models.

The only way to find out is to ask your local MB dealer to inspect the car and to get them to submit a claim however, at 17 years old they may chose not to do so.

Good luck.
As noted somewhere on here, I luckily had my rear subframe replaced for free on my 10-year-old Eclass! MB told me it was the worst they had ever seen! I have contacted MB, the DVSA and the Sunday Times motoring editor regarding the problem and indicated there should be either a general notification or a recall! But, MB said there are "no issues" with any of the classes I mentioned, ie E and C class and the SLK! The DVSA said it was NOT A SAFETY PROBLEM and the ST did not reply! I also EMd Jeremy Clarkson at the ST, but again no reply! In other words, nobody wants to know! It's disgraceful, particularly for the DVSA and MB to say there is no problem! I don't know where to turn next! It may well take a serious accident or worse before anything is done! It would be good if loads of people on here wrote to someone, but at the moment I know not who!! I'm busy with other things at the moment, but I am not giving up! any ideas would be welcome!

Unsure why you think that the Sunday Times and J Clarkson would be wanting to comment?

As for VOSA, I imagine they have a threshold of complaints before they see it as an issue for a recall.

Unsure why you think that the Sunday Times and J Clarkson would be wanting to comment?

As for VOSA, I imagine they have a threshold of complaints before they see it as an issue for a recall.
I have a lot of experience with the media, and the press sometimes latch onto issues! In my opinion, this is pretty damn serious! Sadly these days it takes a lot to get people excited!! As regards the DVSA, you're pretty much right! They got very technical, and just didn't think it was a safety matter and thought that it was normal on older cars! There are none so blind as them that don't want to see!! Alas I was unable to get photos of my car as it was off the ramp by the time I got to the MOT garage, and I don't think MB would have liked me to take pics anyway!! I have to say my local MB dealership, from where I bought the car were very good! My only grief was not having a courtesy car that cost me a day's work and a lost contract! I also went four weeks without a vehicle! Being an OAP a hire car was not realistic! Luckily I live quite near the shops snd the weather in January was dry!! PS. It was the DVSA as they seemed the relevant dept! FYI The DVSA have replaced VOSA since 2014!

Last edited:
I took my SLK to the local dealership for inspection recently and they advised that the subframe was heavily corroded and although having welding (which was repaired at the last MOT) the corrosion was continuing and they would recommend a replacement under the good will warranty. However, MBUK declined due to the subframe having been welded prior to inspection by a network technician.

I took my SLK to the local dealership for inspection recently and they advised that the subframe was heavily corroded and although having welding (which was repaired at the last MOT) the corrosion was continuing and they would recommend a replacement under the good will warranty. However, MBUK declined due to the subframe having been welded prior to inspection by a network technician.
An interesting take on things.

I would argue that it required welding because of the poor design and materials used by Mercedes.

An interesting take on things.

I would argue that it required welding because of the poor design and materials used by Mercedes.
Yes that was my argument and for several weeks it fell on deaf ears. However, I persisted and after sending many emails to anyone of importance I heard from my dealership last week that MBUK have agreed to fund a replacement.

Anyone who has had their claim declined I would urge you to contact senior management at Mercedes Benz and plead your case.

I have a lot of experience with the media, and the press sometimes latch onto issues! In my opinion, this is pretty damn serious! Sadly these days it takes a lot to get people excited!! As regards the DVSA, you're pretty much right! They got very technical, and just didn't think it was a safety matter and thought that it was normal on older cars! There are none so blind as them that don't want to see!! Alas I was unable to get photos of my car as it was off the ramp by the time I got to the MOT garage, and I don't think MB would have liked me to take pics anyway!! I have to say my local MB dealership, from where I bought the car were very good! My only grief was not having a courtesy car that cost me a day's work and a lost contract! I also went four weeks without a vehicle! Being an OAP a hire car was not realistic! Luckily I live quite near the shops snd the weather in January was dry!! PS. It was the DVSA as they seemed the relevant dept! FYI The DVSA have replaced VOSA since 2014!

Around 2007 MB had a problem with the crank position sensor on the OM642 3.0 V6 CDI engine - this would fail without warning, causing the engine to stop dead. A safety recall was issued for all vehicles fitted with this engine and built within a specific date range - of course this affected many different MB models, but for some reason the W639 Vito was excluded. I had the CPS fail on mine (owned from new, with FMBSH) but got absolutely nowhere with MB UK who flatly stated that there was no issue with that model (although it was included in the recall in other countries)!

I carry a spare CPS in the car. It was only £30 from MB.

Although I propably would not be able to fit it beside the road at least I had the part to hand.

I carry a spare CPS in the car. It was only £30 from MB.

Although I propably would not be able to fit it beside the road at least I had the part to hand.

Unusual to have a CPS fail without warning though ... AFAIK they normally start playing up when hot etc.

I've had all sorts of other sensors fail on the Vito (DPF pressure, DPF temperature, fuel pressure, mass airflow) but at least those only put it into limp mode so I could get it to a garage.

Unusual to have a CPS fail without warning though ... AFAIK they normally start playing up when hot etc.

I've had all sorts of other sensors fail on the Vito (DPF pressure, DPF temperature, fuel pressure, mass airflow) but at least those only put it into limp mode so I could get it to a garage.
I had a CPS fail on a Saab, classic symptoms of failing to start when hot but working when cooled down, on my C320 petrol it just died whist running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom