Rear Subframe Cracked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulPJ

Car
C220 CDi
Hi All, my local garage just rang me to say that they have found the reason for a strange noise I had and it is that I have a cracked rear subframe. It sounds expensive and thats if he can source a new one. The car is a 57 plate C180K with 87K on the clock, is it worth repairing or scrapping. Paul

There have been a few reports of rear sub-frame corrosion on the W204 C-Class and also the R171 SLK. Mercedes-Benz has stumped up for replacement on more than one occasion - search the forum for info on that.

I would be inclined to raise the issue with a franchised MB dealer and see what happens. I'd also be inclined to raise the matter with DVLA as the failure can occur catastrophically with huge safety implications, and the corrosion is not being detected by MOT tests.

Hi St13phil, thanks for the reply but I would doubt very much if MB are going to take any notice of me as the car is 12 years old but contacting DVLA and making them aware is a good idea. I am still at 2 minds whether to scrap or not as I had been looking to PX the car on a C250 for sale down on Bournemouth. Paul

I would doubt very much if MB are going to take any notice of me as the car is 12 years old
Similar age cars have been repaired by MB at their expense, perhaps because (I suspect) they would rather keep the issue quiet? Remember that these cars have a 30-year anti-perforation warranty, so don't dismiss it as an option without trying first.

Hi Phil, I could try contacting MB in Southampton BUT the car has not been serviced by them and since I have owned the car it has been serviced by an Indie in Cadnam. Paul

Hi Phil, I could try contacting MB in Southampton BUT the car has not been serviced by them and since I have owned the car it has been serviced by an Indie in Cadnam. Paul
What's that got to do with it?

No doubt they could try the brush-off with a "warranty is conditional upon being serviced by us", but in that case ask what difference that would have made to a structural component failing due to internal corrosion that's not visible to an external inspection?

In other words, be persistent :)

Hi Phil, just to update you, I took the car to Marshalls Mercedes in Southampton and they are going to take pictures and video and send the off to Mercedes to have it done under the anti perforation warranty. I would just like to say how grateful I am with your advice and hopefully there will be a very happy conclusion. I will let you know. Paul

Very pleased for you, and glad that MBUK have done the honourable thing and not made your life difficult by trying to weasel their way out of responsibility.

Wow, great result.
I found myself under my C Class checking for rust on the rear subframe after I read your initial post --there were minor rust spots which I treated with a rust remover. Of course, I can't see inside the subframe though.

Your result is a comfort to all potential sufferers.

Thanks Guys but it wasn't for Phil I would be shelling out £1,400 blissfully unaware. My neighbours wife has a C Class and he had it up on a lift but thankfully no rust. I hope to get it back on the 22nd Nov and I am going to test drive the C Class I have seen not far from me. Cheers, Paul

Nice to see that MB still honours the warranty. I moved away from Jaguar because of my bad experience with door corrosion on my XF with just 42k.
After a long fight and with the help of Auto Express Jaguar eventually replaced all four doors.
Google Jaguar XF door corrosion.
Sadly the car was written off just a few weeks later in a non fault accident. The VW Polo survived !

Thanks Guys but it wasn't for Phil I would be shelling out £1,400 blissfully unaware. My neighbours wife has a C Class and he had it up on a lift but thankfully no rust. I hope to get it back on the 22nd Nov and I am going to test drive the C Class I have seen not far from me. Cheers, Paul

Awesome result - just goes to show the power of the forum!

Wonder how many people have been caught out without the kind of knowledge that we have on here...

Wonder how many people have been caught out without the kind of knowledge that we have on here...

I think you should try and get a team together from around the country and go on eggheads :)
8FF47DFC-93AC-445C-9F9A-0A9501950AA8.jpeg

Count me out because I don’t know my big end from my exhaust resonator :dk:

Thanks Guys but it wasn't for Phil I would be shelling out £1,400 blissfully unaware.
I'd still like to know what the DVLA / VOSA take on it is, but if my suspicions are correct, that might queer the pitch regarding MB stumping up for the replacement under warranty.

Hi Phil, contacting DVLA is still on my list but I am waiting until I get the car back first. Paul
If I were in your position I’d do the same, just in case MBUK had second thoughts about funding the repair. Trouble is, after the repair is completed DVLA/VOSA won’t have anything to examine.

Great result...This is a brilliant forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom