Rear suspension “failure”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WensleyDale

Car
2012 E250 cdi estate
Hi Guys
My 2011 W212 estate was showing a suspension fault on the dashboard display. I forked out for a code reader that diagnosed “right rear level sensor outside limits”. Within a couple of days the right rear began “drooping” after being parked overnight. I sourced a replacement sensor on eBay and fitted it with little difficulty. Hey presto! The fault code disappeared and all looked well. However, after driving no more than 200 metres the entire rear suspension (both sides) had collapsed and the compressor doesn’t run. Diagnostics (from the code reader) show no faults - however reading the outputs from the left and right level sensors show left side minus 41 mm, right side plus 127 mm. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Somebody suggested the system might need to be recalibrated after replacing a level sensor? Thanks all

The sensor (old) was/is very likely fine.

Your car is dropping, the sensor is (was) correctly reporting this as out of limits.

Most likely fault is an airspring or pipe leak which would be why it was dropping overnight.

Thanks for the reply Patrick but I’m pretty sure the sensor was faulty. First, why would the fault code disappear when I fitted the new unit. Second, if there was a leak why would it suddenly result in both sides dropping to zero height and the compressor not running.

Well I would try and get a jack under the rear and lift the car up,and check that new sensor you put on something may have come part,if you spot something get a once only and lash the senor arm up .

I think I discovered why the compressor doesn’t run - the diagnostic code reader shows the message “compressor locked due to on-board electrical system limp-home mode”. Any ideas how to get out of limp home mode? (I couldn’t limp anywhere when the suspension is completely flat).

Just so I can close my own thread, I’m happy to report problem solved! Stupid mistake on my part when I fitted the replacement level sensor - the linkage arm between sensor and suspension arm can go two ways. The wrong way and the correct way i.e. vertically. Such a silly oversight ( my excuse being I have yet to drive to Barnard Castle to check my eyesight) caused the level controller to lower the right side (the signal was indicating it was way too high) and the left side went down in sympathy. Not sure why the compressor refused to run but once the linkage was corrected everything came back to life.
Thanks anyway to those who took the time to read and especially those who made comments.

Well done for fixing your problem and for coming back to your thread with your solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom