Rear Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you use new bolts for the sub frame into the chassis?

Did you use new bolts for the sub frame into the chassis?
Yes I did along with new washers...I must admit I wondered if I needed to but decided that for the few £££`s I may aswell..I had to use new washers on the front of the subframe as the old ones were completely goosed anyway.....In fact Its new bolts and washers all round..I got new hub nuts with the bearings and Ive also a new nut on the Diff flange....Ive not Torqued the subframe bolts up yet as Im waiting for new Anti roll bar mounting brackets to arrive and they fit at the front of the Subframe so those 2 bolts will have to come out again....The rule of thumb I go with is..if a fixing needs to be torqued then a new one is needed if its removed...thats just the way I am...maybe a bit ott..but it wont harm anything...hence having a bucket full of odd nuts and bolts...Just in case...lol......the weather is great today so I will crack on at a steady pace......I cant go out until 6th July anyway..or is it the 1st August...??

Nearly there...Its been a very hot one today...everything I touched was red hot. All I need to do now is fit the parking brakes and the cable at the back of the hub..on one pict there is a cable holder in the wrong place...Ive put it these so I dont forget it when fitting the parking brake cable...the first side I did I found it quite a struggle with holding parts and getting the bolts in...getting things to line up..I had to slacken off a few bolts to get some easier vertical movement...that was the learning side..the other side just seem to go together without much of a problem..Im waiting for calipers and hoses to arrive so I may just give the old ones a quick spray over for now so I can carry on with setting the geometry as close as I can..then take it to the garage and have it done by a pro...all that work and it will never be seen...I am getting my wheels refurbished but only after the front suspension has been done and the bodywork tidied up...up to now I am quite pleased...

Attachments

• 2020-06-25 11.42.19.jpg
    2020-06-25 11.42.19.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2020-06-25 11.42.28.jpg
    2020-06-25 11.42.28.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 12
  • 2020-06-25 13.22.30.jpg
    2020-06-25 13.22.30.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2020-06-25 13.22.52.jpg
    2020-06-25 13.22.52.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2020-06-25 13.23.21.jpg
    2020-06-25 13.23.21.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2020-06-25 13.23.26.jpg
    2020-06-25 13.23.26.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 10
Apart from 2 Faults showing on my Dash and getting the geometry set..its job done...oh..new calipers and hoses coming in the next day or so..No Diff leaks..glad about that..still need to adjust the parking brake..the Faults are ESP and no Brake assist and the ABS light is on...my OBD11 scanner keeps saying link broken..I have a Chap I use whenever things like this crop up...I assume it could be the ABS sensor as I didnt replace those they were working just fine...pretty simple to do anyway...they can only go into the socket on the bodywork one way cant they...I didnt take a pict of them in situ as I normally would..a nice day of Tinkering about with these jobs tomorrow...I very pleased with the outcome..and Thank you for the Support and advice

Attachments

• 2020-07-01 15.15.59.jpg
    2020-07-01 15.15.59.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 9
  • 2020-07-01 15.16.07.jpg
    2020-07-01 15.16.07.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2020-07-01 15.16.26.jpg
    2020-07-01 15.16.26.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2020-07-01 15.16.50.jpg
    2020-07-01 15.16.50.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 7
  • 2020-07-01 15.17.02.jpg
    2020-07-01 15.17.02.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2020-07-01 15.17.09.jpg
    2020-07-01 15.17.09.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2020-07-01 15.17.14.jpg
    2020-07-01 15.17.14.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 7
That really does look very nice.
Thanks Jason...been well worth the work...going to do a bit of bodywork if the weather permits and get my Wheels refurbished ...then do the front,

I forgot to add that I used this syringe to fill the Diff, No mess..No spills and about as exact you can get it laying underneath. I tested it first by filling a jug that was on a shelf above my work bench to replicate being under the car..the Syringe holds 550ml so 2 of those is the correct amount for the Diff....mine was totally empty....I filled the Syringe and the tube then put a bolt in the end of the tune to stop Oil coming out all over the place..when I had it near the Jug I took the bolt out and depressed the plunger...its a slow job... once the syringe was empty but NOT the tube I put the bolt back in only to save a mess and keep the tube full...I repeated the process again then checked the Jug..it had a Gnats over 1.1ltr. I did the same under the car...no mess apart from the odd drop coming off the tube.....Hope this is of some help as its an awkward job to do...Its from Sealey....SYRINGE.jpg

Remember and lock the rear hub nuts with a hammer and chisel.

Remember and lock the rear hub nuts with a hammer and chisel.
As soon as I got it on the Ground I Torqued them up and punched the locking tab down..Just need to sort out this Brake Issue...but its raining yet again here...

You could try swapping sides to see if the fault transfers?
I took it out for a little run this Morning only about 2 miles keeping my ears open for any noises, When I got back the ABS light had gone off..so I switched off then back on and the faults had cleared...no idea how or why...the car had been nearly on its nose foe a good number weeks so I am wondering if that had anything to do with it...Ive checked a few times during the day and everything is fine...must be the "Fairy Dust" my Great Grandaughter sent me last night...she is only 5yrs old and said to me... Fairies Fix things Pop`s...I will ask them to send you some....I could do with a sack full for when I do the front in a few weeks time...ha ha

My New Calipers, Hoses and securing Pin Kit arrived, what a fiasco..Auto Doc sent me odd calipers and for a week no amount of emails..Phone calls would convince them they had dropped one..even after sending photos they still were adamant that they were corredt for my car as the numbers on the Boxes matched my order numbers...and they did..however one caliper was a Ridex..that was what I ordered..the other I found out by searching their site was a Maxgear..not what I ordered...I would have been quite happy for them to send the correct caliper and I would return the wrong one..simple...Oh No they started to give me the run around, I was getting so angry I made another phone call and asked to speak with a manager, after some delaying tactics I got one and described what had happened and what I wanted to do..if it was possible..he started then, so I let him waste his breath then told him that my order was bought under the " Safe Order" Scheme and could therefore return my complete order without reason at their expense...he then seemed to all of a sudden change his Tack...too late Fella its all coming back..I got the return label and the details...its all now on its way to Berlin...I wont be buying from them again thats for sure...and I still need to do my front suspension when the weather picks up so they have lost a quite a bit of Money.....at the moment I still need to adjust the parking brake but the weather here has been terrible and Im to Old for mucking about in the rain..:rolleyes: 2020-07-03 10.39.26_LI.jpg2020-07-03 10.39.59_LI.jpg2020-07-03 10.40.07_LI.jpg2020-07-03 10.40.51_LI.jpg2020-07-03 10.41.04_LI.jpg

You think AutoDoc got it wrong with your rear brake calipers ! Some of my first post on here are about a main (AMG) MB dealer refusing to believe the rear calipers on my car were the correct ones despite it being parked outside and I had a bunch of photos on my phone of various C55's clearly showing the calipers being identical to mine....MB Computer says NO ! Thats when I pretty much gave up on MB main dealers.

Great work by the way :thumb:

You think AutoDoc got it wrong with your rear brake calipers ! Some of my first post on here are about a main (AMG) MB dealer refusing to believe the rear calipers on my car were the correct ones despite it being parked outside and I had a bunch of photos on my phone of various C55's clearly showing the calipers being identical to mine....MB Computer says NO ! Thats when I pretty much gave up on MB main dealers.

Great work by the way :thumb:
Thank you,...Im sure they get blinded by numbers...Nope..your wrong...lol....I did drop one with the rear Shocks...I ordered going by the part number...when they came they were way wrong...the rubbers/stops where just like door stops...mine where like little Doughnuts...the same as my W202...Gutted...I fitted the springs then thought..a bit of a stall here now, on that day my Grandson was visiting..observing the 2mtr rule as Im shielding...he came to help me as he is really interested in cars..so he comes to Grandads when Im doing anything..a 50 mile round trip for him....anyhow I came indoors to make a brew and curse..20 mins later the Lad comes in and tells me he has fitted the shocks...my heart sank...he thought he was doing right...but as they had been "Mounted"..in Auto Doc words I couldnt send them back..but I did find a supplier in the UK with the right ones...and cheaper...now I have a pair of shocks I dont know what do with...make a seat or something.....

Thank you,...Im sure they get blinded by numbers...Nope..your wrong...lol....I did drop one with the rear Shocks...I ordered going by the part number...when they came they were way wrong...the rubbers/stops where just like door stops...mine where like little Doughnuts...the same as my W202...Gutted...I fitted the springs then thought..a bit of a stall here now, on that day my Grandson was visiting..observing the 2mtr rule as Im shielding...he came to help me as he is really interested in cars..so he comes to Grandads when Im doing anything..a 50 mile round trip for him....anyhow I came indoors to make a brew and curse..20 mins later the Lad comes in and tells me he has fitted the shocks...my heart sank...he thought he was doing right...but as they had been "Mounted"..in Auto Doc words I couldnt send them back..but I did find a supplier in the UK with the right ones...and cheaper...now I have a pair of shocks I dont know what do with...make a seat or something.....
Stick em on the classified on here, or flea bay perhaps ?

Ebay may be the way to go..I can get part numbers that they will fit..but will exlude my car thats for sure..I should make the Lad buy them...lol

Sir, I am in awe at your ability, logical thinking, thoroughness and patience. Clear write- ups, and excellent photos. and I am thinking that your MB parts man must be head and shoulders above the norm.

I myself often wondered if MB eventually saw the light and changed the direction of `that` bolt during subframe assembly.

I look forward to - if and when you decide to have a go at the front end.

Sir, I am in awe at your ability, logical thinking, thoroughness and patience. Clear write- ups, and excellent photos. and I am thinking that your MB parts man must be head and shoulders above the norm.

I myself often wondered if MB eventually saw the light and changed the direction of `that` bolt during subframe assembly.

I look forward to - if and when you decide to have a go at the front end.
Thank you very much, I doubt that the bolt issue would ever have been looked at, however if you where to only be changing the parts and not dropping the subframe that bolt can be cut out with a multi tool and an extended carbide blade...even a cheap Workzone one will do the job..but with care..when the new arm is fitted the nut is wider than the original and you can get a spanner on it if you put the bolt in the logical way round...I think I showed that in the pictures...In the next week or so I will be doing the front end to the same depth...everything off...refurbished and renewed...once that is completed I will be taking off the underside covers..exhaust and prop shaft...then treating and re spraying those areas...it will out live me thats for sure,..Ive just finished refurbing my rear wheels...they were a mess...its not to concourse standard but they look a hell of a lot better untill I send them off to the pro`s...there seems to be no end...but its what I like to do...Im Shielding and have been since 19th Feb on Docs orders so its given me something to do...I wish it would stop raining as all this is done on my drive....here are my Wheels..first ever attempt..Im fairly happy with them for now...I sorted out some plastics while I was at it...2020-07-13 12.49.20.jpg2020-07-17 16.30.10.jpg2020-07-17 16.30.43.jpg2020-07-18 11.54.32.jpg2020-07-18 11.56.13.jpg2020-07-18 11.56.27.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom