Rear tyre extreme wear on one wheel. W211?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
Just noticed this. The NSR tyre has worn down to the wires on the inside shoulder.:eek: The outside shoulder is bald too (which is what caught my eye) but nowhere near as bad. The middle of the tread is ok though.

The other rear tyre is fine and the car seems to drive ok, with the steering wheel straight and true.

I drive it like a nun and this wear has happened quite quickly because the tyres all seemed ok a couple of weeks ago.

Any ideas?????

It was a bit low, at 27ish. But I don't think it would wear 1 tyre so badly so quickly. I seem to remember the old MOTs that came with the car mentioned wear of the rear tyres on the inside edges. I'm wondering if the bushes have gone or something.

Only had the car for 5,000 miles.

Get the wheels laser aligned to check they are running true.
If that all shows as good then have the wheel checked in case it has been buckled.
Then if that is ok on with new tyre and wheel balanced.

Ill be phoning a couple of garages in the morning to book an inspection of the rear end, oow er mrs.

Try to find a place with a Hunter alignment rig with staff who know what they're doing - best way to get 4 wheel alignment checked. If you're in the South East, then Wheels in Motion at Chesham is the place to go.

Excessive wear on the inside edge of the tyre could be down to many things. The obvious would be too much negative camber or excessive toe in----- both likely to be caused by worn /distorted suspension components. The fact this applies to only one side would indicate damage rather than a wrong alignment.
I would renew both rears to start with a clean slate.

if its one rear wheel, then I would say one of the bushes in the rear has perished, get this checked out before wasting money on alignment

Mercedes are generally heavy on rear tyres and do wear quicker on the inside especially if under inflated. There could be suspension issues but I'd point to under inflation given its worn on both the inside and the outside, 27psi is low I run mine at 34 on the rear and the tyre wear very even although slightly more on the inside.

Due to the age of the car it would be wise to replace both tyres.
Actions would be as follows
1. close inspection of both sides rear suspension components for wear/damage and replace where necessary. If one side has worn out- chances are the other side is also likely to fail soon [ barring direct damage to one side one] ??
2. replace both rear tyres removes doubt and the car will handle more evenly

3. get the now repaired rear suspension fitted with new tyres re-aligned- its impossible to accurately re-align rear suspension with unevenly worn tyres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom