Rear tyres shot at 9k - E350 Cdi Conv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Nab,

I have run them on my last 2 beamers and loved them and managed really good mileage from them (about 26K from the rears on boh - and they were both 3.0 sports so had a little bit of power going through them). Plus they were brilliant in the snow.

Alas availability on them at the mo is really poor.

J.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 265/35 ZR18 97Y XL with rim protection ridge BSW £168.20 mytyres.co.uk

Goodyear Eagle F1's265/35 R18 97Y XL BSW asymmetric= £191.00 ea

Tyretest.com has the G/years as better tyres 1.9 plays 2.1 where 1 = excellent & 6 = don't even think about it.

Michelin Pilot Sp 3 = £247.70 (ATS £223.99) score 1.8
Conti SP 3 = £216.80 score 2.0
Dunlop SP 9000 = 265.35 (Event £231.27) score 2.6
Bridgestone RE50A = 224.60 (Event £218.29) score 2.02

I've just booked the Michelins @ ATS £470.48 fitted, balanced, tyre disposal & valve. In my experience Michelins take some beating for wear and going by the ratings on Tyretest thay come out in front across the board.:thumb: Just expensive but if they last a few thousand more than it's worth it IMO:)

As said before, apart from driving style a lot depends on tyre inflation - even when set to within the manufacturer's permitted range, there will be differences in thread wear.

Keep your tyres at the highest permissible value at all times (car laden or not), and you will benefit from longer tyre life at the expense of ride comfort.

Obviously, if tyre pressure is not checked regularly and it is allowed to fall below the minimum for a period of time, tyre wear will occur sooner.

What's your average MPG - if it's above 35mpg then you've probably got an inflation or alignment issue, if it's below then it'll be right foot induced...

Once the new tyres are on, quite a few tyre dealers will offer an inflation with Nitrogen and add some brilliant sounding claims such as no loss of pressure over 6 months. If true it might help tyre wear. STS and MyTyres do it for £1/wheel even if you don't buy the tyres from them.
My last rear set of Firestones, would have lasted 30K plus if not ripped open by a speed bump. High wear must be down to the right foot, I'll know soon, just had the engine re-mapped from 370ftlbs to 420 and 204bhp to 244 (by Clive Atthowe of Norwich). Love all those torques going to the tarmac, quite certain rear tyres will suffer, we'll see.

Ouch! That's no good at all!! I've covered 3k miles on the 19" Vredestein's that I'm running and they're like new still and always quite grippy so you may want to consider a set of those? Much smoother and quieter than the Conti's that I had on before that were 18s too.

Very Good tyre, Had them on my M3, good grip and durable :thumb:

I've just booked the Michelins @ ATS £470.48 fitted, balanced, tyre disposal & valve. In my experience Michelins take some beating for wear and going by the ratings on Tyretest thay come out in front across the board.:thumb: Just expensive but if they last a few thousand more than it's worth it IMO:)

How are you getting them at that price?? On their website, they are quoting £167 a tyre...

Look at the Treadwear indicator on the tyre's sidewall to give an indication of how long the tyres will last (low factor number = grippy but wears out fast). I think Kumhos are in the region of 320. Michelins do vary with the Energy ones being 400 i think but the sporty tyres can be as low as 140

Look at the Treadwear indicator on the tyre's sidewall to give an indication of how long the tyres will last (low factor number = grippy but wears out fast). I think Kumhos are in the region of 320. Michelins do vary with the Energy ones being 400 i think but the sporty tyres can be as low as 140

Thanks, that's a good tip for the uninitiated...I see my Conti 3s have a treadwear indicator of 280. Anyone tell me what the figure is for Michelin Pilot 3s...?

Well saying that I've just had mine checked and they are like a pair of slicks on the back and thats only after doing 4,800 miles. Just got a quote on a pair of 5P Conti's at £230 each but cant get hold of them until the middle of July.

Yeah, July, you'll be lucky, word is more like back end on Aug or even Sept. I ended up going with CS3 again.

Just to say I ended up putting a new set of Yokohama's on the back at £190 each which I didn't think was too bad. Only thing I was a little narked about was the marks left around one of my rims. There wasn't a scratch before but there is now and nothing I can do about it as I didn't notice before I drove away. Because I've had 265s fitted it took an hour of inflating and deflating before they finally popped around the rim. Next time I'll have 255s fitted and won't be using jet tyres again.

Well saying that I've just had mine checked and they are like a pair of slicks on the back and thats only after doing 4,800 miles. Just got a quote on a pair of 5P Conti's at £230 each but cant get hold of them until the middle of July.

Hi Benjy

you probably experienced increased wear due to your rather venomous upgrade!:eek:

I have 5's on the rear 265s no less and they are likely to need renewing some time like august /septemeber
- had i better get them ordered sooner rather than later?

these were ex stock in march this year

:cool:see you in a couple of weeks

Thanks, that's a good tip for the uninitiated...I see my Conti 3s have a treadwear indicator of 280. Anyone tell me what the figure is for Michelin Pilot 3s...?

No but I can tell you they wore really quickly on my rocco, worse that the standard fit sports... :-( Nice tyre in the dry not so great in the wet. But that was a near 300bhp FWD hatch

J.

Just to say I ended up putting a new set of Yokohama's on the back at £190 each which I didn't think was too bad. Only thing I was a little narked about was the marks left around one of my rims. There wasn't a scratch before but there is now and nothing I can do about it as I didn't notice before I drove away. Because I've had 265s fitted it took an hour of inflating and deflating before they finally popped around the rim. Next time I'll have 255s fitted and won't be using jet tyres again.

I went for 265/30/19's on the back of mine and they were fitted with no bother at all...

Bad news on the rim front. :-(

No but I can tell you they wore really quickly on my rocco, worse that the standard fit sports... :-( Nice tyre in the dry not so great in the wet. But that was a near 300bhp FWD hatch

J.

Did my own research and transpires that the treadwear indicator figure for the P3s is 320. Anyway, went ahead and bought two for £330 from ATS Euromaster. No problems, except local depot had no record of my booking for fitting, despite confirmed online appointment! To their credit, they did the job on the spot - good job they had the tyres in stock.
What does surprise me is that the rears (245 40 17s) cost £330 for two. The fronts, which I will need before the winter, are on sale for £248 for two - suppose I should be pleased, but I wonder why the big difference...

When I need new tyres I always check out Black Circles first. They do some sort of deal where you buy through them and get them fitted at a local fitter.

If you don't want to use them you can of course use the prices they quote to get a good deal with your preferred fitter as you can honestly tell them what you will pay to have them fitted locally at another fitter.:thumb:

UK Tyres Online: Cheap Tyres & Car Servicing | Blackcircles.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom