Rear vibration on W215 CL55 Kompressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paterson12

Car
CL 55 AMG Kompressor, BMW X6, 1968 Porsche 911 swb
Hello,

Between 60-80mph I have a vibration coming from the rear passager side.

I've had 4x new tyres, 4x new alloy wheels, balanced the wheels twice and then swapped the wheels around and the vibration is still on the passenger side.

I've also had new pads, discs, engine mounts and gearbox mount.

I'm starting to run out of ideas? Something to do with the drive shaft maybe?

Thanks.

Propshaft couplings or centre bearing?

As above. Get the prop shaft donuts looked at. You just need it on a ramp. If they are shot it is obvious to the eye. Give them a hoik about with a bar or big screwdriver. Check suspension arm bushes for play.

It is important to get them pulled about a bit. A quick glance and they can look OK but when they flex is when you can see the splits and tears.

I had a very annoying vibration coming from the rear of the car between 30-40mph and then again between 65-80mph. Mainly felt through the floor on the passenger side.

In 2 years of looking for it i replaced just about every bush, mount, flex, arm, ball joint, tyre, wheel, disc, pad you can think of. The bottom of the car was pretty much new by this stage, but it would still vibrate.

The next thing on the list was the propshaft, and then finally the Torque converter, or just give up and live with it.

On someones recommendation whilst having a chat with them about it, they said to have the gearbox serviced. So i had it serviced, and hey presto, no vibrations. Turned out the gearbox fluid was low by about 1 litre the whole time!!!

Drives like a dream now.

So if you think your starting to change too many bits with no real results (or the only results being that the vibrations shift to a different speed range) then have a look at your gearbox fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom