rear view camera and trunk closer retrofitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunman

Here is a recent w221 I worked on. Factory rearview camera and factory trunk closer installed in a NA w221 s550.

Attachments

• IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_5806.jpg
    IMG_5806.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_5802.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 686
some more pics Last pic showing calibration of camera.

Attachments

• IMG_5801.jpg
    IMG_5801.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_5807.jpg
    IMG_5807.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 669
Sunman - how does the trunk closer function ?

I'm thinking it may be a nice addition to my SL

R

Very nice, does it automaticly switch on when the car is in reverse?

Sunman - how does the trunk closer function ?

I'm thinking it may be a nice addition to my SL

R

I'd like to retrofit that to my W203 too as Sunman already has on his.

IIRC there's a button inside the boot that you press which will power close the boot / trunk...

I did not add it finally to my 203 since mechinically it was not possible without welding in brackets. The trunk closer is hydralauic and works well. The camera does automatically switch on when in reverse and also draws lines for you on the screen so you can parallel park or back into a spot with guidance. the closer on the SL is pretty expensive. Almost 5k dollars in parts alone since the vario roof pump has to be swapped for a pump that handles the trunk closer struts as well as addition of 2 control modules.

I did not add it finally to my 203 since mechinically it was not possible without welding in brackets. The trunk closer is hydralauic and works well. The camera does automatically switch on when in reverse and also draws lines for you on the screen so you can parallel park or back into a spot with guidance. the closer on the SL is pretty expensive. Almost 5k dollars in parts alone since the vario roof pump has to be swapped for a pump that handles the trunk closer struts as well as addition of 2 control modules.
Hi sunman, well done mate. Its a very neat piece of job. How did you managed to get the reverse camera fitted perfectly next to the handle. Is there a ready hole/compartment? On the other hand, where and how is the reverse camera connect to? COMAND APS? "AUX" Jack? Kindly enlighten me. Many thanks.

The trim piece is replaced if memory serves me correct although it could be a pop out piece of plastic.

The reverse camera has a control unit that manages its functions such as the drawing of the guidance lines, the data is on CAN and video is sent to the COMAND processor (221 remember so its the HDD setup) via a dedicated line.

Or are you asking about a 230?

Hi sunman, well done mate. Its a very neat piece of job. How did you managed to get the reverse camera fitted perfectly next to the handle. Is there a ready hole/compartment? On the other hand, where and how is the reverse camera connect to? COMAND APS? "AUX" Jack? Kindly enlighten me. Many thanks.

I believe this was a factory rear view camera retrofitted. Since the option is available from the factory, if you just use all the necessary parts, you will have a place ready for the camera.

Also since it is a factory option, one would not use the normal AUX jack for it. The early W221 cars use a pretty complex control box for the rear view camera, the box takes care of drawing the dynamic lines while in a later version COMAND should do that.

Hi DansSlk,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Actually it is a E240 (W211) 2003 registration fitted with COMAND APS + Factory NavSat System. (Glove box fitted with AUX Jack) I personally felt parking such a big machine is quite difficult sometimes. Therefore, i am trying to fit a reverse camera incorporate with the current COMAND APS system. Please advice and thank you very much.

So you will want an aftermarket kit for the camera itself and you will also need a box of tricks to pretend to be a TV tuner if you don't have one fitted.

The AUX in is for audio only, video is a different game altogether.

Re camera's, any camera costing just £25 and upwards would plug into a DVD based Comand, though you would not have a calabration grid. Not so important as you can see what you are reversing into.

The same goes for any early system that has a TV, and a camera would plug into the TV.
As Dan says you need the box (£100) if you do not have TV

Hats off for the work & thinking that went into this but I have to ask, does anyone actually need a camera on the back or an automatic boot closer? IMHO even as a factory option they're silly, expensive gimmicks which in years to come will break & cost more to repair than the car is worth.

Hats off for the work & thinking that went into this but I have to ask, does anyone actually need a camera on the back or an automatic boot closer? IMHO even as a factory option they're silly, expensive gimmicks which in years to come will break & cost more to repair than the car is worth.

Hmmm ... if that's the case -- the car would be fit for scrap only anyway....:D

By that time there will be no petrol.

Hi guys,

what are the part numbers for the power trunk closer for a 2004 W211? I'm trying to find them in the online EPC but I'm SOL.

Thank you very much!

w221 reverse camera which type

I believe this was a factory rear view camera retrofitted. Since the option is available from the factory, if you just use all the necessary parts, you will have a place ready for the camera.

Also since it is a factory option, one would not use the normal AUX jack for it. The early W221 cars use a pretty complex control box for the rear view camera, the box takes care of drawing the dynamic lines while in a later version COMAND should do that.

my w221 is sep 57
can anybody recommend a camera that they have had fitted and what company to use for fitting
and finally could if i plug any old camera in ,would it display on sat nav screen

my w221 is sep 57
can anybody recommend a camera that they have had fitted and what company to use for fitting
and finally could if i plug any old camera in ,would it display on sat nav screen

Use the genuine camera, the picture is superb and it looks correct when installed. The retrofit for 07 doesnt seem to do moving lines - i.e there are static lines to show where the car is but they don't move with steering.

Talk to Alfie on this forum about fitting !

Richard

Hi

I have sent Alfie an email but what is the possibility of installing factory reversing camera into a std audi 20 with HK in a w204 c63 please?

Dont need GPS and the command was so much money on the contract hire rate, id didnt opt for it as i have a garmin unit for occasional use:-(

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom