Rear washer problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neiltodd

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E400 Cabriolet
Can anyone help me to get the washer to give me some water on my rear window. I have replaced the jet,the pump is working but no water coming.My local independent says that is likely to be blocked/failed/jammed no return valve somewhere in the water line but they have no idea where the valve is.

On a W203 estate there are 4 places the pipework can come apart :

1. In the tailgate behind the wiper - you have to remove the panel to get at it.

2. In the storage cubbyhole in the rear offside - take out the clickfit panel and the black plastic cubbyhole behind it, look for a blue pipe and a black grommet. This is the easiest to get to.

3. Up behind the glovebox on the nearside. Remove the kickplate and look up the back of the glovebox - pray it's not here as it's a swine to get to - have to remove the glovebox to get at it properly! Again, blue pipe going into a black rubber grommet.

4. Behind the battery, the other side of the black grommet in 3 that goes through the firewall. Haven't had to get at this one, but it would be a battery out game so you'd want a spare battery to keep the electrics alive while you remove the battery.

Common problem if you search here and on t'other side! I've posted on this before.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/80846-w203-estate-rear-screenwash-problem.html
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59521

Last edited:
mine has come off twice under the storage box behind the rear off side panel

On a W203 estate there are 4 places the pipework can come apart :

1. In the tailgate behind the wiper - you have to remove the panel to get at it.

2. In the storage cubbyhole in the rear offside - take out the clickfit panel and the black plastic cubbyhole behind it, look for a blue pipe and a black grommet. This is the easiest to get to.

3. Up behind the glovebox on the nearside. Remove the kickplate and look up the back of the glovebox - pray it's not here as it's a swine to get to - have to remove the glovebox to get at it properly! Again, blue pipe going into a black rubber grommet.

4. Behind the battery, the other side of the black grommet in 3 that goes through the firewall. Haven't had to get at this one, but it would be a battery out game so you'd want a spare battery to keep the electrics alive while you remove the battery.

Common problem if you search here and on t'other side! I've posted on this before.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/80846-w203-estate-rear-screenwash-problem.html
W203 Estate Rear Screenwash Problem - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Just had the front wings/wheelarches painted at the bodyshop and they may have had the battery out,could that be relevant.
Thanks so far.

Washer bottle and pump are behind the wheel arch liner on the front nearside - so this may be the case! However, if it was, I'd expect you'd see the fluid in front of the wheel when you pushed the button!
Removing the wheel arch liner to get at the bottle is not too bad - jack the car up and remove the front nearside wheel, look underneath and it's pretty obvious what holds the liner in place. The little plastic things have a centre core that pulls out to release them, the others are obviously screws.

Thanks for all your help. Was a blocked pipe. Problem solved by using a compressed air supply and blowing through the pipes.

You've been lucky - in the first year of owning my (first MB) C270 estate I had the tailgate connection first, then the rear cubbyhole one, then the "behind the glove box" nasty - which I have yet to fix! Lousy piece of design - which I gather thay've changed on the W204. Wonder why...!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom