Rear wheel bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

howard65

Car
Ford Focus
I have a Ford Focus that has done 75k miles however is in good condition.
The car was recently rear ended causing 3,000 opounds worth of damage. When I got the car back from the repair shop I noticed the whirring sound of rear bearing failure.
Could this have been caused by the accident?
There was no direct impact on the wheel and there has been no leakage of the seal.

Info would be appreciated.

It is possible but it could also be coincidence - if not too loud - 75k is getting on for leggy.

I think Fords are the only cars on which I've ever known a wheel bearing or bearings be changed before they've hit 6 digit mileage.

All this good advice...I hope Howard comes back to read it.

It does seem a bit odd joining a Merc forum and posting that as your first post.

Maybe he has a Merc too...

Perhaps he posted here knowing he will get good solid advice :thumb:

This from the Honest John site on the mark 1 Focus [98-2004]

Listen for rumbly rear wheel bearings, especially on estates, but quite a common failure on all Focuses. If not fixed under warranty, a suggestion from John Shuck in the USA is, "the bearing material was not properly hardened, aka nitrided to Rockwell C 60 or higher. So, get new bearings, find an aircraft parts guy, and get them nitrided ASAP. Also use a good grease. Krytox is good but expensive, so I use Amsoil Series 2000 racing grease, drop point is at 540 degrees F.

Unfortunately in the UK its unlikely there's an aircraft parts guy round the corner and its possible that Ford themselves have uprated/sized the bearings in later models. However it does point to a weakness in that area which is shared with the rear "blade" suspension units which also tend to give up the ghost at high mileage and are expensive to repair. If Ford haven't uprated the bearing and you can find the size [ try the Ford Focus forums] you might be able to source an uprated bearing from a bearing manufacturer if you intend to keep the car.

Last edited:
This from the Honest John site on the mark 1 Focus [98-2004]
Listen for rumbly rear wheel bearings, especially on estates, but quite a common failure on all Focuses.

The Focus is not like any Ford that went before it. It might as well have come from a different company. Memories of older Fords are not relevant to it

You were saying? :rolleyes:

HI Howard65,

Bearing failure is common with older focus,s. The rear bearing carrier on model with disc brakes have been modified to accomodate uprated seals,bearing and hub kits are available but costly from dealer. I sourced bearings from a local bearing supplier who supplied firstline make,big mistake - 12month bearings fell apart.

Went to local GMF motor factor and requested for branded bearings and was supplied with SkF at a good price and getting good service life too.Bearing is sealed so no greasing

Springer

Ask your local motor factor / bearing stockist for a BRT wheel bearing kit , this will be the same make as used by the O.E.M.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom