Rear Wheel Squeal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dryce

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Over the last few days I've heard the odd shrill squeal or metallic chirps. At speed (above 50ish) while the car is on the motorway after it has been driven for 20 minutes or so.

So I heard it quite persistently this evening. It went away when I braked and then would come back again. Thought it was coming from the driver side rear and sure enough the wheel was warm. Just for comparison I checked the passenger side rear wheel and it was also warm.

Front wheels were cool.

So my initial assumption was brake dust build up behind one of the rear pads causing the pad to touch the disk while running (had a Renault that had a similarly afflicted left front some time back).

But both rears together? Can one side affect the other?

Brakes are otherwise normal and they don't appear to be binding.

It sounds like the ASR function or disk cleaning function is coming into play more than it should.

I take it you were driving normally and not burning rubber.

It sounds like the ASR function or disk cleaning function is coming into play more than it should.

I take it you were driving normally and not burning rubber.

Thanks.

I consider myself light footed and I'm not heavy on the brakes either.

Any idea what logic the ASR or disc cleaning functions use to decide when to activate? The squeal was occuring intermittently above 30-40mph.

(I would have assumed that disc cleaning would apply to all four wheels and not just the rear pair.)

Car had its rear pads done today.

One of them had "seized" - I presume it wasn't coming away from the disc when the brakes were released. One of the rears was consistently hot, both being hot may have been a red herring as it only happened on one occasion.

Intermittent problem hopefully solved with minimal angst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom