Rear window leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m_chalubowicz

Car
1996 W210
Hi guys
was just wandering if anybody could put some light on the case and if anybody could advice on cost to have the job done.

It is about 1996 E 230 rear window seal leaking.
Today morning I have found passanger side rear seat wet just by doors/windows.
I have spotted rubber seal is not firmly laid on the body - seems to be bit loose in the top corner of the window.
Surprisingly roof nor back pillar have suffered from this just seat.

what would be the cost of new seal fitted around the window or maybe there are some 'home' methods to
seal the window.
All avices will be gratefully apreciated
Cheers

rear screen not doors
but I may be mistaken and there is water coming through door windows. Don't know.
The only thing I spotted today morning was the seal wobbly round rear window.
Will try to post a picture in the evening

The rain that came down last night was almost horizonal down here in the south, this will find its way into odd places.

There are ways of sealing rubber, but not when wet

there are the pictures
1. driver's side top corner of rear screen: rubber seal can be easily bent with a finger and doesn't stick to bodywork
SANY0231a.jpg

2. seat is the only affected place - roof and pillar inside are touch dry
SANY0233a.jpg

It does need sticking down, that is for sure, instant glue is good for rubber to rubber, I will do a little reseach tonight or maybe someone else knows of a good one

The rear screen is bonded in and the exterior seal is just a cover piece.

You need to play a hose on the car starting low down and working upwards with someone inside the car watching for leaks.

My guess says it's the door seals otherwise the roof and C pillar linings would be soaked.

Yep would agree with Dieselman .the rubber is merely cosmetic ,the screen would be bonded and may have been replaced in the past ,if you pull off the covers around the pillars and have look at the sealant around the window it may give you a clue .

Go to the inside of the car, try to push out the glass at the corners, any movement at all on the windscreen would probably mean the bond from the glass to the body has failed.

Yep would agree with Dieselman .the rubber is merely cosmetic ,the screen would be bonded and may have been replaced in the past ,if you pull off the covers around the pillars and have look at the sealant around the window it may give you a clue .

Looks I have aweekend job to do...

thank you all for advices

It would be best to pull off the C pillar covering. Place your fingers in at the top and pull outwards.

Whilst your at it lift the rear seat base out and check the battery well for water.
There is a catch on each lower front corner of the base. Press down on the seat and squeeze the catch, then lift up.

It would be best to pull off the C pillar covering. Place your fingers in at the top and pull outwards.

Whilst your at it lift the rear seat base out and check the battery well for water.
There is a catch on each lower front corner of the base. Press down on the seat and squeeze the catch, then lift up.

Back seat is already at home ... drying out by radiator
I am thinking about taking rest of sat down. Is it a big job to take out a back of seat?

Hi. Me again...
removed back seat and C-pillar lining.
And pleas God stop that rain.

Looks it wil be sunroof leaking.
Or is it possible to have a leak through there:
SANY0232a.jpg

I think it may be a sunroof
there is a wire going from sunroot to the back of car and it seems to have rain drops on.

Question
is it difficult to remove roof lining and what are catches on my way?
All advices gratefully appreciated

Last edited:
any ideas?
help please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom