Rear wiper seized S211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bolidemichael

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E500
The action on the rear wiper has been intermittent for some months (which I've ignored). Now, it seems to have given up the ghost completely. The water pump works, but there is no commensurate wiping action. Additionally, the manual function (on/off) doesn't work and the light on the switch doesn't light up either.

Can this be lubricated (if so, how?) or could it be a fuse or is it deader than a dead parrot?

Hi Michael
Yes it can be lubricated. You have to remove the tailgate trim to get to the motor. Open it up and remove the old grease and clean it. Regrease and re-assemble. It is fairly straight forward. Mine has been fine ever since. How's the roof box?

Ray

Oh, hi Ray, it's nice to see you on here!

Which grease should I use? Do you think that Bilt Hamber Ferrosol will do the job as a heavy duty lubricant?

I have to attack the rear end of the vehicle, as it happens, as I have a second hand replacement for the boot liner motor. The original is a little knackered. One of my concerns is that I'll be doing so without having purchased some replacement lugs etc, in case any are broken as I take it apart.

The roof box is currently hung upside down in my garage. I did have to replace the struts as they were tired, but the replacements from SBS don't provide assistance with the initial 'lift'. At least it stays open now, which is good. It's a very handsome box, in my view, in addition to which is a generous capacity. It does dent the fuel consumption though, to the tune of 3-4mpg. Then again, I do like to press on.

31C01D7D-1029-4AA8-904B-A3B1299D1DDD.jpeg

Funnily enough, I purchased some MB bike racks off ebay, to fit the roof bars. I've been watching them for ages and have pounced on some poorly described items, which are brand new. One for £15 + £8 delivery and in communicating, transpires that he has another which I'll take for £15 plus the difference in shipping. If you watch something for a while and have an ambitious but realistic budget in mind, something always comes along!

Last edited:
Great photo Michael.

I just used Castrol HT grease in a tub. I would not use spray grease to be honest

I applied the switch and gave the wiper a little encouragement and it started to operate freely once again.

I've decided to remove the arm and lubricate it.

411C9547-3AD1-41F8-AF09-83F97D6D8869.jpeg
59121476-1C04-4FAA-91C1-5DA965CCAD53.jpeg
98832BD8-BF7B-46B0-9AD6-8E8FFE65DC58.jpeg

However, removing the arm is proving more difficult. A friend has recommended a tool.

Cheap wiper/battery terminal pullers are widely available. Do not be tempted to hit it or lever it . Windscreens and wiper motors are expensive !

Okay, arrived earlier than expected from Amazon, though I'm likely to have to wait until the weekend.

7DA2D4E8-18BC-47A1-8208-7AEA79A3141C.jpeg

I'll admit that there was a tiny bit of head scratching before the penny dropped. Once I had figured it out, the tool works very well indeed.

B0C3AC1F-CE78-474A-875A-E49F2F25DC4D.jpeg

B77A4654-E179-440D-B33C-808D1F9A32FB.jpeg

50E672B6-37FA-4CF7-87B1-34236D401C0E.jpeg

F7C81501-E7B1-4A57-BCB4-29F9DB62AF38.jpeg
I couldn't see anywhere obvious to lubricate, so I refitted. Incidentally, it's a 13" spanner for the bolt to secure the wiper arm.

It is working, however, despite all of these shenanigans. The method of 'manual intervention' has had the effect of freeing up the stroke of the arm. Ho hum.

13" spanner? That must be one hell of a nut! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom