Reasonably Priced SL 500 in Southport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks nice. I'd ask for some further details before going to view it:

full details of the main dealer service history
invoices for maintenance work
all previous MoT certificates
number of previous owners?
corrosion on any wheels?
stone chips on bonnet?
rust?
make and tread on tyres?
interior photos

Looks quite nice from the pics. Not keen on the extra aerial that's been added on the offside rear wing though.

MERCEDES SL 500 44,435 MILES A TRUE ENTHUSIASTS CAR on eBay, also, Mercedes-Benz, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 15-Jun-09 16:37:01 BST)

This is advertised on Autotrader & Ebay. Only 44k miles. Southport is a loong way from me.

Opinions solocited. Anyone in the area ?

I bought a slightly unusual coloured one 3 months ago, and thought I had seen all the low mileage offerings in the country and this one certainly did not raise its head. I payed a little more for one with 20% less miles that is pretty immaculate.
This example does look very good, I would be pleased to go and have a look and report on general condition if you wish, not a mechanic but do know enough to id a dog!
Can't go before weekend unfortunately.

I would find out when that last MB service was done. There is a clue in the text - has not done many miles in the last three years. My bet is that it was last serviced somewhere between 2002 and 2005. Just a guess.

If this is a pre-ASSYST car it should have had a service every 12 months (no matter how low the mileage) to keep the FMBSH.

If this is a pre-ASSYST car it should have had a service every 12 months (no matter how low the mileage) to keep the FMBSH.

It's MY98 and Reg 98 so it should be ASSYST.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, if that's a sound car it's a bargain.

Looks quite nice from the pics. Not keen on the extra aerial that's been added on the offside rear wing though.

Really needs 2 for balance and the full yuppie effect :D

Oh, hang on, that's only on my car :doh:

Looks like an old style phone antenna, very nineties!
Yup that's what I assumed it was. My R129 has a phone kit fitted though (M-B AFAIK), and the aerial is an internal one at the top of the windscreen.

Just got off the phone. Someone has bought it already :(

Theres a lesson to be learnt here. If you find a car that you like and it looks like a bargain, get in your car and go and see it, no matter how far it is. Dont waste time asking for peoples thoughts on here, without being disrespectful to anyone on this forum, it is hard enough making a decision to buy a car without everyone else's ideas of what to look for, it will only confuse you even more, then after reading all what is wrote, you call to find the car has sold. Act on impulse/instinct, worse case, if you get there and the car is not as described, its cost you a day and fuel costs, on the other hand, if you find that the car is as lovely as the ad depicts, youve probably got yourself a good bargain and a big smile on your face, :D

Good luck next time,

Regards,

Terry.

I disagree.

The vast majority of these SL's are lemons (trust me I've looked at plenty). Driving half way across the country to look at a car that hasnt been described by anyone else but the seller is not a exactly a constructive use of time.

One could easilly use up an entire years worth of days off work in a handful of weeks, and still not find the right car.

Far better in my mind to get someone local to the car to give it a quick impartial once over before embarking on a long wasted journey.

Spike, you have a point, I mistakenly assumed most people on here know what they are looking at or can read through an advert. I have been buying cars (mostly German) for over 30 years, so my post has come from experience, not personal preference. I have lost many a cheap/rare car for not acting on impulse/instinct. If you want a bargain or a good car, you have to be prepared to travel sometimes instantly and maybe waste some time as well, but every now and then, you will be rewarded,

regards,

Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom