Reasonably priced W210 E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
117k miles, need to see interior pics but for a facelift model with FSH it's not bad for under £4k. Most are advertising around £6k for these and some are P/F

Mercedes e55 amg 2001 auto stunning example px welcome full service history | eBay

Datacard
Identification number: WDB2100742A756789 2
Chassis

Sales designation: E55
Order number: 0 8 537 32678
Delivery date: 10 09 1998
Paint code 1: 744 DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010
Equipment: 588A EXCL. ALPACA GRAY/SLATE GRAY D/ALCANTARA S LEATHER
Engine no.: 113980 60 004989
Transmission: 722636 01 121458
SA code
213 PARAMETER STEERING
241 FRONT SEAT LH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
345 RAIN SENSOR
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
472 ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
543 SUN VISOR WITH MAKE-UP MIRROR L. AND R., BE-
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
570 FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT
580A LEATHER, CONDOR
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
588A EXCL. ALPACA GRAY/SLATE GRAY D/ALCANTARA S LEATHER
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
611 EXIT LIGHTS FOR DRIVER DOORS
617 XENON HEADLAMPS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
691 BLUE HEAT-INSULATING GLASS ALL-AROUND, GLASS REAR
744 DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010
753 RADIO MB AUDIO 10 CC WITH VK/RDS
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
774 SHELL MODIFICATION FOR AMG-WHEELS
809 113.9__ - 19960618 - AEJ 06/1/M/X
809 722.6__ - 19960119 - AEJ 06/1/M/X
809 210____ - 19960905 - AEJ 98/1/X
810 SOUND SYSTEM
817 ALARM SIREN FOR THEFT WARNING SYSTEM
833 INVALID/GREAT BRITAIN,ADDITIONAL PARTS
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
877 READING LAMP IN THE REAR
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
910 DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)
915 FUEL TANK WITH LARGER CAPACITY
954 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
984 COC DOC., DELETION OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOC.
Other
Lamps: HELLA

Looks ok from a distance (unable to see rust) in the photos however the front passenger side headlight has a large gap above it. Maybe had a knock?

Looks ok from a distance (unable to see rust) in the photos however the front passenger side headlight has a large gap above it. Maybe had a knock?

Maybe. The bonnet hinges can be a pain on these tho. When mine doesn't lock down fully, it leaves a gap similar to that

The headlamp unit is attached to the wing...how come such a gap?

The headlamp unit is attached to the wing...how come such a gap?

Fair point. I looked at the first pic when I made the comment. Looking at the second front-view pic, it does look pushed back.

If you managed to get it for 3.5k it's still a cheap facelift e55, even if rotten.

Don't see many on the market at all.

If it is a good one, snap it up at that price!

I started looking for one back in September 2015 and it took me until February 2016 to find it.

However, I'm puzzled to see some of the cars that were for sale 15 months ago are still being advertised online. Many are below £7k and I can't believe all of them are sheds? I can understand the £10k+ ones still sitting there as that's getting in to W211 E55K territory...

Certainly does look a bargain, but would need to have a drive / see the service history / look at the inside.

I've had both the W210 E55 and the V8 (but not E55) S211

But have you driven the W211 ? For £8k you'd get a much more modern looking / driving car. It's worth the comparison, if you haven't tried it.

Like this one:

2004 04-Reg Mercedes E55 AMG Auto,MASSIVE SPEC,FULL MERCEDES HISTORY!!!

It's a great price if it is a good one! Why is the car so far away and why no interior or engine bay shots?? Poor effort sales wise :fail

It's a great price if it is a good one! Why is the car so far away and why no interior or engine bay shots?? Poor effort sales wise :fail

It's not a great car I looked at that for Gav when he was looking. It's not really bad but needs money spent on it.

It's not a great car I looked at that for Gav when he was looking. It's not really bad but needs money spent on it.

Thought as much from looking at the clouded lenses, not always indicative but suggests the car has not been in tip top condition for a while!

If going to look, pay attention to front end as this is about the mileage where everything needs rebuilding. If it feels like the wheels are out of balanced, it's probably the control arm bushing and unless you have a decent shop press or the factory tools, you'll need to buy control arms which were about $600 pair when I bought mine a couple of years ago.

Shocks, ball joints and tie rods will all need replacing. If you hear a rattle from the front, check the sway bar bushings. All parts places specify bushings with W210 part numbers but those are not correct for the E55 sway bar. You'll need the ones from a W140 S500 which are bigger.

Engine mounts also tend to collapse at this mileage. Not a bad job on the lift, not so fun on the floor. The mounts are not expensive but if you have a bad one, it could cause the fan to drive into the radiator which is not cheap (as me how I know) as it's E55 specific.

The M113 engine can suffer from sludge build up. MB started using fleece filters for extended service mileage. I try to change my oil with Mobile 1 every 6000 because it's cheap insurance. I did purchase another more neglected E55 last year and the oil filter looked like this so open the oil and have a peak inside to look at the inside.

10391476_10156652705050165_75253589576659470_n.jpg

Check condition of drive belt and fan clutch as they can go bad. If you replace the drive belt, replace the idler pulley at the same time as they can come apart when tension from a new belt is applied. All pretty cheap parts.

Spark plugs will also be due, they're not cheap (about $6 each) and you need a special wrench to pull the boots off. The car requires 16 plugs.

Electric window switch packs tend to break and so do the window regulator, if you need to replace the regulator, get a hot glue gun or some epoxy because I guarantee that you'll break every tab on the interior door panel.

Dash pixels also fail but aside from that, maintenance for these cars is mostly tires, brake pads and oil changes.

Good luck in your search.

Something don't seem quite right with this one if the delivery date was 10 09 1998 how can it be a facelift even if it was late registered and also why does it have a facelift Elegance grill and rear lights. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom