Reasons to not buy a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billigmeister

Car
E220 CDI Estate SE
Following on from a thread about one standout feature that you love on your car, i was thinking the reverse can also be true....and for the smallest things.

What would or has stopped you buying a particular car?

Apart from obvious things like running costs and badge snobbery, what tiny things have stopped you buying or you refused to compromise on.

One i was thinking of is i got a courtesy car when having my 2010 car fixed and the 2013 car had a different dash layout/font that i really didn't like. As i look at it all the time that would get on my **** i am sure and may effect me deciding to whether to buy or not.

Am i the only one?

Windscreen wipers that are designed for LHD on RHD cars + those stupid wipers that work from the middle and both of them flick outwards in different directions at the same time.

Seating / pedal/ steering position and visibility problems have consistently put me off many cars I have admired "from afar " only to be horrified when finally sat in them.

Small seats for me as I'm 215 lbs. Also no parking sensors would be dissuade me

if it's not an S class - and only if it's used - I never buy a new one

CLS (current) - went for test and on sitting in it the square clock just instantly annoyed me - and I don't like the dials. It went downhill from there.

W212 (pre-facelift) the rear haunches and the lights. No way was that going on my driveway. No way I could face walkign up to it in the office carpark and think positively about the drve home.

Honda Jazz (original) - inability to get a seating position where my the angle of my ankle and foot was comfortable for any length of time on the accelerator.

And yet my SiL just adores her Jazz. Plenty here liked the W212 before they improved it. And the CLS doesn't get many complaints.

You can please some of the people ... but not all of the people ...

Rust
Smell of fags
Dodgy service history

Mainly fags. I drove 120 mile round trip to a BMW dealer to look at a used E39 (after specifically checking it had never been smoked in) and on opening the door it stank like an old pub.

Not very happy.

At one point was thinking of buying a Mondeo Estate off a friend for use as a general family utility vehicle. Good spec. low miles, excellent condition, FSH, cheap. All boxes ticked

Mrs S. refused to consider it as she "did not like the shape of the clock."

If the design sits easy with me then I would go for it but other than that, bright green coloured cars are definitely a no-no.

I did not like the interior of my old Jaguar XJS. The seats and instrument cluster annoyed me. Only kept the car 3 months

Gloomy black leather interiors put me off any car! the only thing worse for me is that black 'school trouser' cloth used in basic VW Passats.

I've always wanted a Citroen CX, but I'm not sure I could live with a single spoke steering wheel and the weird dash.:dk:

I did not like the interior of my old Jaguar XJS. The seats and instrument cluster annoyed me. Only kept the car 3 months

Gloomy black leather interiors put me off any car! the only thing worse for me is that black 'school trouser' cloth used in basic VW Passats.

I've always wanted a Citroen CX, but I'm not sure I could live with a single spoke steering wheel and the weird dash.:dk:
I've had 2 citroen before. A GS and a Xantia, I really like the C6, if only they have the latest 3.0 TDv6, not the 2.7 version.

Dont understand this, anyone could whack a full set of premium part worns on just about any car for £100... You wouldnt be any the wiser.

Its attention to detail not how much you spend! Oil and a filters is only a few quid but still, people put it off!

Whilst viewing a Range Rover. The owners Alsatian dogs bottom exploded all over the back of the car. An awkward silence ensued, perforated only by the Snack, Crackle & Pop of the carpet soaking up liquid doggy doo.

Slightly off putting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom