Reassurance needed, gals & guys.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Well, five weeks in and I'm loving her to bits but I need to share with you the fact that I am having a couple of minor, shall we say, irritations?.

Three things which are not quite right one of which my dealer knows about which he was scheduled to do this week but now a family situation has meant putting it on hold:-

A couple of the rear parking sensors are not fitted right (not concentric) within their holders therfore you see some black rubber, O ring?, against the silver coloured bumper. (this is the one they know about).

The off side rear light cluster is mounted lower, about 1.5mm to 2mm, than the near side one giving an impression of a poor shut or fit line, i.e a gap. when the boot is closed. (noticed this at the weekend).

I definately do have slight water ingress into the boot. As some of you will know, or imagine, the seal arrangement is quite intricate and there are a couple of drain tubes at either side. Well, just above the offside one is a socket which collects exess water and takes it through the drain tube, above this the seal is, on purpose, split and overlayed in several places and I believe this is to facilite the folding of the roof. After delicate washing I have noticed that there is about an egg cup full of water on the boot divider, not much but enough to mean that water is getting in. I have had a good look at the seal and socket and it seems to me that all the folds and overlays follow logic also I have noticed a small rectangular rubber plug sits into and underneath where all this arrangement is. The plug on the nearside is completetly bonded in, the offside (leaky side) isnt and is very loose and nearly coming out. For the time being I have given all the seal that contacts the boot lid a good coating of vaseline so the next time she is washed I should be able to rule out water getting under the boot and over the seals. If there is still water ingress I will try removing and re cementing the potentially faulty rubber plug. Luckily she lives under a car port and the times she has been out it hasnt rained. I also use a rather fine hose spray attachment rather than a jet.

In a way the fact that I cannot take her in this week may be a good thing with the new problems croping up because, to cure the sensors needs the whole rear bumper to come off along with the boot lining so the light cluster, which will now be exposed, can be realigned.

Half of me wants to let her go in and have everything dont at once and the other half of me wants to leave things until the Spring and then do them myself, assuming the boot seal is maybe and hopefully just the rubber plug.

As I said, I need some reasurrance, the irritations are not taking over they are just that, irritations.

Dave P

Reassurance here

I can't think of a car that has not had one or two minor problems that need ironing out (somebody here is bound to tell you all about their Lexus, but I have never owned one, so I am not including them in my comments).

The important thing for me is not that the car has these little niggles but that the dealer network responds promptly and effectively to address them. I think you will get that from the MB network. My E Class has had a few little things along the way (in fact, there are still a few outstanding) but I have complete confidence that when it next goes in to the garage, they will all be sorted.

Good luck sorting them out. I would definitely check with the garage on the leak issue, though, rather than apply my own fix, as this may well be a known problem.

Good luck - and don't let it get to you. Every time I see one of those SLKs drive by, I drool (not a very elegant!).

Philip

Mmmm, spooky. Its seems that flexing these split (intentional) boot seals and applying a little vaseline to them has "cured" it, touch wood. Yesterday afternoon it was sunny and warm round my way so I decided to give her another wash so I simulated rain with the hose and sprinkler, no different to the weekends efforts really. Lo and behold, the boot was bone dry :D .

Hey!!!!!, I'm a happy (ier) bunny again, I won £20.00 on the lottery this week as well as answering my own posts :eek:

Portzy.

D - doing them yourself is imho not an option. It is the dealers responsibility to put them right and ensure you are 100% satisfied. Next time you're in the dealership - have a look at that big hanging banner they have above the service area and let them do ttheir job ;)

See you tomorrow :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom