Rebuild Project E55 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Guys,sorry any more info rgds vmax event?

Hey guys

Got my engine back today!!! what a long wait! still needs a bit of work!
And my home made Rear Ice Box!
:)

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

I bet your pleased to have the lump back.
What's the setup on the ice box, will you have two pumps one in or near the box and a second in the engine bay?

Interesting to see more of the engine. I was looking at mine last night whilst doing the bulbs and you can't see a great deal.

I've done home made ice boxes before (a while ago now). Best one I made had a pair of Kenwood 10" paper subs (nice!) and I put them both in a single box which would fit a MK2 Astra GTE 16V!

Worked really well but was pure fluke. I forgot to separate them but that seemed to make them more punchy.

Did you calculate the correct size of box and port (if ported) or have you just guessed?

Also, while I think of it, does anyone know what those two screw threads on the engine are for near the maker's plaque?

JohnEBoy

I think Acid is talking an actual ice box. Its for running a completely seperate cooling system for the intercooler, you add coolant for the cooling but put frozen water (or ICE as it is more commonly known) in for when you are running a number of 1/4's or top speed runs.

Last edited:
I did wonder about the ICE box...

It looks like a rear fuel tank to me... so thought that's not for HiFi equipment...

What are the figures on thi engine / pully etc etc when all back together.

ie, what are you at now, where should it be when done?

Trust me I'm glad been waiting too long i been so busy had to give the engine for someone else to build !
There is a extra pump in the ice box for the spilt cooling.

Acid

Interesting to see more of the engine. I was looking at mine last night whilst doing the bulbs and you can't see a great deal.

I've done home made ice boxes before (a while ago now). Best one I made had a pair of Kenwood 10" paper subs (nice!) and I put them both in a single box which would fit a MK2 Astra GTE 16V!

Worked really well but was pure fluke. I forgot to separate them but that seemed to make them more punchy.

Did you calculate the correct size of box and port (if ported) or have you just guessed?

Also, while I think of it, does anyone know what those two screw threads on the engine are for near the maker's plaque?

It's for ice cubes for the supercharger in the boot. But I will have 2 15" subs in there when I'm not racing lol

Acid

It looks like a rear fuel tank to me... so thought that's not for HiFi equipment...

What are the figures on thi engine / pully etc etc when all back together.

ie, what are you at now, where should it be when done?

If I can get close to 600 rwhp I will be happy but knowing me as my luck is I will blow something lol

Acid

That Pulley looks like a dinner plate :eek:

200mm nice dinner plate lol

I have built my car more for the 1/4 mile run rather then top speed as I will have heat issues with the size of the pulley.

Most of the 55s on vmax will most likely will be faster on the top end then mine I think cos of heat but we will have to wait and see.

I hope to beat 4.1 seconds on 0-60 runs when is my best time. If I can get into the 3s. I will be well happy

Acid

My next question was going to be about the choice of materials. I thought MDF was best but maybe there way something about using metal and tons of dynamat that worked better.

Lol... :eek:

Shows how much I know about tuning Mercs. The square root of FA.

That Pulley looks like a dinner plate :eek:

It does, its massive :eek:

I can remember the look on peoples faces when Lopes was draining his icebox at santapod, passers by thought it was petrol :D

Some of you guys will not like the colour choices i have for the engine : )

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

Coolio

3.99 would be awesome any quicker even more awesome.

The fact its an estate even better !!!

Some of you guys will not like the colour choices i have for the engine : )

IMG_0950.jpg

I personally wasnt all too keen with all that chrome to be honest, but when i got to the last pic and saw the red it looks quite nice.

It's for ice cubes for the supercharger in the boot. But I will have 2 15" subs in there when I'm not racing lol

Acid

If using ice cubes are you filling the void with cold water to aid filling the full volume and to assist thermal efficiency?

Just using cold water should have a greater effect than ice cubes due to greater specific heat capacity.

For short run work blank off as many frontal openings as possible to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom