Recall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So what does this recall do? Remove the software that cheats the emmissions test? And then what? The model will be retested and the emmissions certificate amended? And the affected cars then go into a higher tax band?

The point is that if all they do is remove the offending sofrware, the cars will still pollute the same after the recall.

At least VAG in the US were forced to add Urea injection, not just delete the software.

I have a 2016 GLC, which I think is affected. I suspect they will remove the offending software which will not change how much the car is actually polluting by - or maybe they will remap it to stop it emitting more than the certificate but that will reduce the performance. But I think they could increase the amount of adBlue used to reduce those emissions. I.e my car already has urea injection

Whatever way they chose, I suspect all Diesel vehicles are going to be less valuable than the "guaranteed" value on their 3 year PCP/Leases and Merc/BMW/VAG are going to have a lot of losses in their finance divisions ...

R

Here we go yet again, speculating and adding rumour control/urban myth before anyone knows what the perceived problem/issue is:wallbash:

ALL EU Governments are hell bent in destroying destroying all that burns so called Fossil fuel, regardless of of any real scientific research apart from the "Doom and Gloom" club.

Could we all wait for the Sword of Declamites to BEFORE it falls, until it does?

ALL EU Governments are hell bent in destroying destroying all that burns so called Fossil fuel, regardless of of any real scientific research apart from the "Doom and Gloom" club....

The issue isn't fossil fuel per-se, all current Diesel cars are well capable of burning alternatives to fossil fuel, e.g. bio-Diesel, it's the CO2, NOx, and particulates from Carbon fuel in general that the European governments are worried about, the only real clean alternative to burning stuff (fossil fuel or otherwise) is nuclear energy, but some countries shy away from the massive upfront infrastructure cost involved.

The issue isn't fossil fuel per-se, all current Diesel cars are well capable of burning alternatives to fossil fuel, e.g. bio-Diesel, it's the CO2, NOx, and particulates from Carbon fuel in general that the European governments are worried about, the only real clean alternative to burning stuff (fossil fuel or otherwise) is nuclear energy, but some countries shy away from the massive upfront infrastructure cost involved.

Clean alternative??? Do you know how polluted the countries where the batteries come from are?

This is not a solution to a problem, it is a let’s shift it to a third world country jobby and call it their problem. More so, a power plant is zero emissions as well is it?

There was an article I did read a few years back. The production of an electric car made enough pollution to equal running a ICE one for many years before it was even equal in terms of damage to the planet.

Ok, I stand corrected, fossil fuel was the wrong word.

In my defence I was having a good rant at Governments and Establishment in general:oops:

I suppose that it's hard to argue that ICE cars aren't big polluters.

They start life with the legacy of the pollution created in their manufacture and, over time, this is eroded only for the fact that older fossil fuel cars become less efficient and higher polluters.

Cradle to grave.

I'm not sure the energy sums for "blue crude" really add up. :( I believe they can emulate catagenesis with the input of a lot of energy to produce an artificial high energy hydrocarbon fuel from water and CO2 which is useful :) but altho the chemistry may be closed cycle not sure the energy equations involved are , despite a rather vague reference to renewables :confused:
They speak in great detail about diagenesis --the sun's energy plant photosynthesis etc but fail to put a time scale on the catagenesis processes also involved. Sure they talk about it happening millions of years of ago but neglect to mention the accumulative processes also needed to take place over millions of years. By burning vast amounts of hydrocarbons in a couple of centuries we are effectively "short circuiting" the release of that energy built up over millenia and causing a chemical imbalance which the Earth's slow natural processes can't compensate for. We can fiddle with energy flows but as yet we cannot alter time. To put a rough scale on it
Fossil fuel formation= 500,000,000 years [ Mesozoic+Paleozoic ]
Fossil fuel burning = 200 years
https://www.ems.psu.edu/~pisupati/ACSOutreach/Petroleum_2.html

image007.gif

Is 'grober' actually NASA's codename for its latest Cloud network of super-computers......? ;)

Is 'grober' actually NASA's codename for its latest Cloud network of super-computers......? ;)
I've seen a few members questioning his info lately, I assume that he's just rather trigger happy with Google.

Wasn't the original question about MB using software to CHEAT the emissions tests? Nothing to do with fossil fuels or the govt's desire to go all electric or more enviro friendly.

If the manufacturers couldn't meet the standards set they should've raised it, i.e. not possible. Cheating is still cheating.

I would say that there are only a few people that know the real details of the problem.

The simple fact is that all modern cars are electronically controlled with more than enough sensors and on-board computing power to figure out when they are operating on the road or on the dyno and adapt accordingly. Some systems such as ABS, Power Steering, Traction Control, Cruise Control, and so on, are either problematic on a dyno or simply not needed. So switching them off is often a good thing. On the other hand urea injection, EGR rate , injection timing, boost pressure and so on all affect emissions. Having different settings for the dyno and the road might well be of concern.

So what does this recall do? Remove the software that cheats the emmissions test? And then what? The model will be retested and the emmissions certificate amended? And the affected cars then go into a higher tax band?

The point is that if all they do is remove the offending sofrware, the cars will still pollute the same after the recall.

At least VAG in the US were forced to add Urea injection, not just delete the software.
The other option is they remove the cheat software so that the car is in the test emissions mode all the time. This would likely mean increased adblue usage and reduced performance but it is all guesswork at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom