Recaro Classic / Ideal C : What Do The Buttons Do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LowMilerAMG

Just wondered if any body out there (I guess Nick , Jay or Talbir) knows what the different buttons are for on these old Recaro seats. Ive worked out the heater and backrest adjustment buttons but how do the three air pump buttons which are normally blue work?:dk:

Sorry to be dim witted as I have just wired one up to try it and the heater works as well as the backrest adjuster but there is a black rocker switch and the three air pump buttons which seem not to be working.
Are these linked in any way, as back in the day I was not lucky enough to have one of these seats only the manual LS and LX models.:eek:

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

The rocker goes to a pump which blows up the lumbar airbags, the buttons are just pressure release valves so you can adjust which area has more support.

Mine didn't work but a little fiddling and both seats worked perfectly

Thanks Jay, if the pump is working does it make an audible noise or does it run very quiet. With your seats was the problem with the switch or pump? Is the pump easy to get to?

^^ Buzzing noise when pump is activated.... And when each of the 3 release buttons are pressed you can hear a 'psssh' sound which is the air exiting the airbag.

Def no pump working then! On a c124 where's the best place to hook up the seat for power. I guess the seat heating must draw a fair bit of power.

I guess that's the right way to do it. I was hoping for an easy option, didn't want to start pulling out the instruments or anything. If you only do half a job, you only get half the result.
I will check the pump switch later, but is the air pump mounted in the base of the seat or in the backrest?

^^ Could not tell you for sure, but hopefully I will be paying a visit to D-class next week , who are retrimming my seats at the moment & will be able to report back to you then....

Jay should be able to help you out before then though, as he's already had his seats retrimmmed.....

Actually I cant remember for sure but im pretty sure the ortho pump is in the back rest part.

After digging out an old 88 Recaro brochure I think you may be right Jay. On a stripped out picture of a CSE it looks like the pump is tucked in the backrest by the bolster.

Dee any chance of some pics if D Trim are doing your seats as I've approached them for a quote but have not seen how their work is with Recaro's. I've heard great things and from pictures of their other work which looks fantastic!

I remember from my VW and Ford days only MJ interiors and good old Bernard Newbury could get them spot on.

Dee any chance of some pics if D Trim are doing your seats as I've approached them for a quote but have not seen how their work is with Recaro's. I've heard great things and from pictures of their other work which looks fantastic!

No problem, I left my digi camera with Dave at D-Class, so he will be taking pictures of the 'before-during-after' phases...:)

Infact, I have photos of the whole project yet to put up, really bad on my part I must confess...:doh:

Having gone thru several sets of these, the rocker switches are typically at fault. They get very brittle and tend to fail. I've since replaced all of the French made DAV switches with MB OE switches. The switch plate only requires a bit of filing to accommodate the MB switch.

As mentioned above, the pump is located at the back rest and is definitely audible. This pump inflates all three bladders (upper, middle, lower) found in the lower backrest and psi is controlled by the release of air via the three blue release valves.

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 171
^^ Could not tell you for sure, but hopefully I will be paying a visit to D-class next week , who are retrimming my seats at the moment & will be able to report back to you then....

Still waiting here!!!

Thanks for the picture , it speaks a thousand words.
I've got to say these seats are just so special . Def worth the hassle to get working.

Do you have the part no for the MB switch, or from which model it should be sourced from? Do you have a pic with the MB switch fitted in the panel?

Thanks for the picture , it speaks a thousand words.
I've got to say these seats are just so special . Def worth the hassle to get working.

Do you have the part no for the MB switch, or from which model it should be sourced from? Do you have a pic with the MB switch fitted in the panel?

All the switches were sourced from Gen I W126 vehicles. I'll need to pull the switch plate to note the PNs.

The only switch icon not perfectly appropriate is the lumbar air pump but in a way the graphic makes sense. Painted the release valves buttons as well, wasn't feelin' the blue.:rock:

Attachments

• MBswitches.jpg
    MBswitches.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 157
Many Thanks, that certainly fits in with the interior more than the originals. Will take a peek at the backs of the original switches and see how they compare.

Dee, did you get any pictures back from the trimmers? Im in a position to get mine trimmed as I now have a pair.

^^ Got my car back from D-class, left a camera with them but one of the workers there that was entrusted with taking the step by step pictures, forgot to!.....

Iv only got about 2 that Dave the owner took and those were of the hide that was to be used spread out on the floor!...So not much use!

The cars gone away again. this time to get some bodywork bits n bobs done, so no pics of the finished article as yet..

Overall, I would say im happy with the workmanship and quality of the hide used, there are a couple of bits, but arent they always!....

I would recommend D-class for sure with a pair of Classic C's... Next time around they will probably be even better with them as they will be more familiar with them..

PS: Pics as soon as...

Thanks, put them up if you can when you get the car back. On my 124 the seats will work out more expensive than it's purchase price so I would def want them right.

How did you get around the vacuum system from the standard seats, as I'm worried if nothing is done the pump may burn itself out trying to lock the backrests that are no longer there!

I just disconnected the hose that goes to the seats, never really thought about the pump really.....

Where is it located?....... If its not needed any longer, may aswell pull it out, if its not difficult to get too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom