Recent models age well ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Guys

Father has been looking at new cars - initially Audi/BMW/Volvo

We have looked at and dismissed value for money cars like Kia/Toyota/Hyundai/usual suspects - as this car will be a 'treat' rather than necessity.

Ford didn't even cross his radar !

Today had a look at the new SEAT Leon and was quite impressed.

Anyhow, back to the question in mind.

How do people think a new SEAT will compare to say a 3 year old Mercedes C class in 10 years time (the car will see him into retirement).

I have a feeling that although initially nice, a Hyundai would suffer plastic leprosy both inside and out ?

Or should he do the sensible thing and get a Golf ?!

Budget between £10-20k

Cheers

Chris

10 year old SEAT = old banger?
13 year old Mercedes = classy, older vehicle.

Trying my best to keep him away from diesel as well as he'll not be doing half as many miles - persuading him to get a C63 didn't get very far !

The new leon is a nice car but I would prefer a golf over one really depends what model you are after because most poverty spec models whether its a mercedes or Toyota are crap, then it depends what you want from a car as well comfort, fun, economy, space etc... choice is endless really.

I'm heavily biased but I reckon the current (FL) C-class will age very well. The fact that they are solidly built cars helps long term ownership too. If he is after a car that's meant to tide him over for 10+ years, I would definitely be looking at a 1-2 year old Merc C-class over a brand new Seat - there's just no competition. There's plenty of FL petrols in budget (£15-20k) on AT etc.

I was very impressed with my C320 CDI that was 3 years old but one would still be in budget for you, would get a decent 350 now I would think.

If its a 'treat' it must be a German in some way, MB or BMW.

The VAG family are all boring IMO and I wouldn't feel happy getting an Audi, which is fundamentally a 'posh' Seat/Skoda/VW.

I think he's doing a wrongun not considering Ford, they make fantastic cars and are worlds apart from the Korean new kids. Plus they have tonnes more charisma than any Volvo.

Just my opinion :)

I like how the Alfa Romeo Giulietta looks, or maybe a Citroen DS4.

I suspect that the Golf would be the better car, but it looks very bland and would not be my choice for a 'treat' car.

A new Ford with all the gadgets and toys, new exciting engines, and a healthy amount of style, then yes, I would call it a treat.

You could say the same about any of the marques you initially mentioned but I thought it would be worth highlighting than its not a bad idea to consider the manufacturer as popular as Ford, especially when consider (IMO) lesser brands such as Seat or the Koreans.

So if we forget the term 'treat' as any change of car is a treat, what about the 'in ten years time' thing ?

Current Focus ST vs C350 (for aguments sake) ? The Mondeo is getting E class size now ?

Chris

Will a 13 year old Mercedes be rusty?

I think Audis age very well, take the A4 introduced in 2001, still a crisp looking design today.

Golf is the very safe bet, tremendous car that is classless and always smart, whatever the age if looked after.

If we're talking bread and butter type cars then I think the Civic is hard to beat.
Proven reliability.
Renowned VTEC petrol engines.
Clever design.
Affordable.

Well if you look at Ford/Toyota etc, they look a little depressed after 5 years let alone 10 years.

A Mercedes/BMW will still look and feel decent after 10 years.

As a regular buyer of 10 year old plus cars I will always go for the minimum amount of gadgetry as it is that that will go wrong. I can't see myself buying any of the current BMW or Mercedes range 10 years on.

Mind you I wouldn't get a Seat / VW / etc either. It would most likely be a Honda or a Toyota.

Buy a Golf mark 7. Recent Mercs can only dream of its build quality. We have 12 Mercs within our immediate family and our Golfs laugh at them.

car will be a 'treat' rather than necessity.

Budget between £10-20k

Cheers

Chris

The world is his oyster to a certain degree, well on choice anyway. But, for a ten year period the easy answer is get something new and under 2.0lt. My vote off the top of my head would be something like the new Honda Civic @17k. Yeah, yeah I know :D

Having said all that a 'treat' to me would be big engined & petrol! A used C350 might be just the ticket? :thumb:

Ironic that his "treat" will start off by funding huge amounts of depreciation in the first year if he buys a new car...

Why do people plan to buy cars to last ten years? Is it a sensible approach? Wouldn't he better off buying a three-year-old Golf now and the same again in five years time?

Or why not buy something like a convertible with a folding steel roof and get the best of both worlds? the Mazda MX-5 and BMW 3-Series spring to mind

I think buying a new car now in the expectation of his circumstances not changing in ten years, and the car being viable for that period, is unwise

Nick Froome

I like how the Alfa Romeo Giulietta looks, or maybe a Citroen DS4.

I suspect that the Golf would be the better car, but it looks very bland and would not be my choice for a 'treat' car.

It's probably a bit small compared to the other cars mentioned but I really like the DS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom