Recent purchase thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All very well if either you are around to operate them or herself is not, shall wee say, digitally challenged. We have old fashioned manual blinds, and herself mullers one of them on a regular basis, also has the memory of Jasper Carrot's goldfish (actually worse!) so still cannot get her head round the TV remote, preparing and sending an email etc, so the chance of her being able to operate wireless controlled blinds is zero!!
That’s the great thing about “smart” things, you don’t need to operate them, they seamlessly do things based upon a schedule or another trigger. You set them up and forget about them.

So blinds could be activated based upon time of day, amount of time after/before sunset (depending upon whether they’re blackout/sunshade), when you leave the house or set the security system, etc.

For example we very rarely switch lights on or off: some are linked to sunrise/sunset, some are motion sensing using PIR (like you might have outside), and some are linked to leaving/arriving home.

That’s the great thing about “smart” things, you don’t need to operate them, they seamlessly do things based upon a schedule or another trigger. You set them up and forget about them.

So blinds could be activated based upon time of day, amount of time after/before sunset (depending upon whether they’re blackout/sunshade), when you leave the house or set the security system, etc.

For example we very rarely switch lights on or off: some are linked to sunrise/sunset, some are motion sensing using PIR (like you might have outside), and some are linked to leaving/arriving home.
PS On the rare occasion that I need activate something which the house isn’t expecting the. I just ask Google, Alexa or Siri to do it. I just did that to turn off some lights before the usual bedtime sequence.

We have a smart speaker/display in almost every room but you don’t need it. In most houses 2 or 3 would be enough, for example landing and the most central room downstairs, as they’re very sensitive.

The added benefit of having smart speakers throughout the house is that you can play the same music through the whole house, or just upstairs, or just downstairs, or just outside, etc.

PS On the rare occasion that I need activate something which the house isn’t expecting the. I just ask Google, Alexa or Siri to do it. I just did that to turn off some lights before the usual bedtime sequence.

We have a smart speaker/display in almost every room but you don’t need it. In most houses 2 or 3 would be enough, for example landing and the most central room downstairs, as they’re very sensitive.

The added benefit of having smart speakers throughout the house is that you can play the same music through the whole house, or just upstairs, or just downstairs, or just outside, etc.
Bobby Dazzler: AKA Buck Rogers. 😁😁😁

Oh Contraire~Rodney! buy a smaller house ,a Roberts Radio and a huge f### off Woofer!! 🏏 👍

We really need something to automatically turn lights off and also to close drawers and cupboard doors. Currently it's muggins here! There's only two of us in our house so at least i know who the culprit is. Perhaps a better solution would be to automate my Wife in some way?

Ordered new air compressor, air lines & 1st/2nd fix nailers for work. Fed up with poor reliability of Paslodes and messing around with gas & batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered new air compressor, air lines & 1st/2nd fix nailers for work. Fed up with poor reliability of Paslodes and messing around with gas & batteries.
I bought dewalt gasless 1st and 2nd fix guns about a year ago as also fed up with paslode but also fed up with lugging a compressor around and trailing a hose.

I bought dewalt gasless 1st and 2nd fix guns about a year ago as also fed up with paslode but also fed up with lugging a compressor around and trailing a hose.
I considered the gasless ones but the one I tried (Milwaukee) was very heavy and operation seems lacklustre compared to gas.

Have had a small compressor in situ in van for years so better quality new one will replace it. 20m hose will mean compressor stays in van (powered by mains) whilst I trail hose and gun into workplace.

I guess there’s no easy way of avoiding the old Estwing and lost heads. 🥴

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered the gasless ones but the one I tried (Milwaukee) was very heavy and operation seems lacklustre compared to gas.

Have had a small compressor in situ in van for years so better quality new one will replace it. 20m hose will mean compressor stays in van (powered by mains) whilst I trail hose and gun into workplace.

The 1st fix gun is heavy but performance is fantastic. Sounds like you have your system sorted. Enjoy the new tools.
Got to love buying new tools.

What did you order? I love my compressor and nail guns.

Hi,
Just bought a Racebox Pro GPS performance meter - as used by the likes of Matt Watson on Carwow to test the 0-60 and other performance data on the cars they test!
Here is photo of first 0-60 run on one of our cars!
Need to find a flatter road next time - this is slightly uphill and need to remember to switch off the AC - to get a better time (apparently)
CE6BFCD2-8ECD-4C0F-A41C-398950BB50B9.jpeg

Cheers
Steve

I agree. We recently had a new boiler installed and Hive radiator valves and although I was sceptical at first, they are brilliant 👍 so much control of the heating throughout the house.

highly recommended.

What did you order? I love my compressor and nail guns.
Ordered these Chris:

plus new air lines.

Hi,
Just bought a Racebox Pro GPS performance meter - as used by the likes of Matt Watson on Carwow to test the 0-60 and other performance data on the cars they test!
Here is photo of first 0-60 run on one of our cars!
Need to find a flatter road next time - this is slightly uphill and need to remember to switch off the AC - to get a better time (apparently)
View attachment 111033

Cheers
Steve
Cool, let us know how you get on

Fixed that for you 🤣 ;)

Hammer_and_nails.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom