Recent purchase thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a cheapish electric lawnmower as the other one went bang!

20210605_173248.jpg

Hedge Trimmer from Argos £25 bright yellow so I will not lose it in the garden shed.

The day started well , my wife swopped her W169 A class for a Nissan Juke last week but it doesn't come with a spare wheel. Trawled Ebay for a spare and came across a set of 17" alloys with tyres for £440 delivered , it would appear that either a Nissan dealership or Storage site must have been flooded as there were about a dozen Jukes which had been in about a metre of dirty water. They turned up at 8.15 this morning and after a quick wash this is what I got, the tyres were new and only a small mark on one wheel.
I'd quickly checked before buying that there was enough room in the well in the boot to take a wheel , used one of my 18" wheels and no problem. Went to put one of the new alloys in and the bloody thing wouldn't fit by a couple of mm's. I then went to store them until needed and managed to clip one of them on the corner of the wall aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Not a happy bunny.

IMG_1772.JPGTIMG_1771.JPG

Last edited:
The day started well , my wife swopped her W169 A class for a Nissan Juke last week but it doesn't come with a spare wheel. Trawled Ebay for a spare and came across a set of 17" alloys with tyres for £440 delivered , it would appear that either a Nissan dealership or Storage site must have been flooded as there were about a dozen Jukes which had been in about a metre of dirty water. They turned up at 8.15 this morning and after a quick wash this is what I got, the tyres were new and only a small mark on one wheel.
I'd quickly checked before buying that there was enough room in the well in the boot to take a wheel , used one of my 18" wheels and no problem. Went to put one of the new alloys in and the bloody thing wouldn't fit by a couple of mm's. I then went to store them until needed and managed to clip one of them on the corner of the wall aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Not a happy bunny.

View attachment 114099TView attachment 114100
Could you not deflate one a little bit to make it a couple of mm smaller, better to have a slightly squashy spare than no spare at all.

Last week was pretty much dominated by the arrival of a rescued Tortoise my wife found in the road on her way out for a swim. We did some research and you have to be careful as tortoises are sought after so we thought we’d look after him for a few days while we traced the owner. I knocked up a temporary outdoor pen at lunchtime on Tuesday. Added a basking lamp to keep the little fellow warm. And lots of research on feeding, bathing, temperature monitoring....he’s been living in a box in the utility room at night. We took him to the vets and he hasn’t been chipped but looks like we’ve located the owner. Will be sad to see him go! Now what to do with his pen etc....!

D24425E3-33A8-40C6-BFC7-73F5F12448D0.jpeg

Remind me if I ever get lost to ensure it is on your wife's route to the baths.....

After the house painting new door handles for the bathrooms.

Have a clever painter this time that understands removing the door handles, light fittings etc. makes perfect sense.

Could you not deflate one a little bit to make it a couple of mm smaller, better to have a slightly squashy spare than no spare at all.
Just did a quick calc and my 19"s are 225/40 the Juke 19"s are 225/45 so that's 20mm dia difference. So it appears that only a smaller spacesaver will fit the wheel well. It's a bit stupid to have a well that's too small for a spare.

Yep, amongst many others, including for Patek.

That put a big dent in your wallet - not so Happytalk now!! How many times do you see a cordless thing being sold "bare unit" then find the batteries and charger for it are more than the bare item, and often it's cheaper to buy the same item with its storage box, charger and 2 batteries included!!
It’s wasn’t too bad. I’ve got 12 18v makita tools and really don’t need replacements yet. So still cheaper to buy batteries only and buy ‘bare’ tools when needed. I’ve done silly ‘obsessive’ research on all thinks Makita. 😁

It’s wasn’t too bad. I’ve got 12 18v makita tools and really don’t need replacements yet. So still cheaper to buy batteries only and buy ‘bare’ tools when needed. I’ve done silly ‘obsessive’ research on all thinks Makita. 😁
I have gone the same route as you but with ryobi brand, i love the idea of batteries fit all, makes buying the individual tool a lot cheaper

I have gone the same route as you but with ryobi brand, i love the idea of batteries fit all, makes buying the individual tool a lot cheaper
Ryobi have come on lots over the years. They’ve gone from a budget DIY brand to a decent range. What Ah are the Ryobi batteries?

I guess once you commit to a brand you’re kinda compelled to stick with it.

I see Makita have now introduced a 40v system which I believe is awesome but I’m not about to start re buying everything. I’ll stick with the 18/36v stuff.

I have a full shelf in the van dedicated to Makita with all the tools (lose, not in their cases) and 3 double chargers on the wall with batteries permanently on charge.

Just a cheapish electric lawnmower as the other one went bang!
Last week was pretty much dominated by the arrival of a rescued Tortoise my wife found in the road on her way out for a swim. We did some research and you have to be careful as tortoises are sought after so we thought we’d look after him for a few days while we traced the owner. I knocked up a temporary outdoor pen at lunchtime on Tuesday. Added a basking lamp to keep the little fellow warm. And lots of research on feeding, bathing, temperature monitoring....he’s been living in a box in the utility room at night. We took him to the vets and he hasn’t been chipped but looks like we’ve located the owner. Will be sad to see him go! Now what to do with his pen etc....!

View attachment 114105
You could start a tortoise rescue center. :D

Coincidentally, my wife was saying a few days ago (that she’d read) that they should not be picked up by their shells. Somehow it is painful for them. Always with the hand underneath. Not sure if it is a myth. As kids in Africa, we always had pet tortoises (roaming the garden) & they always seemed to escape. I think our parents used to let them go in the bush....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom