Recent purchase thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tidying the garden shed the other day I came across all the plastic hooks I used to use to hang the Xmas icicle lights off the guttering. That idea went out the window a few years ago as I can no longer handle getting the ladder up to the high guttering over the first floor of our house, now I just tie wrap or staple the cabling to the underside of the wood where the first floor slating meets the ground floor brickwork! I can reach that off a hop-up instead of trying to get about a 16ft ladder up against the wall of the house!!

Anyone have a use for a IIRC 400W 240 to 110 V transformer and a bag of plastic gutter hooks (our original gutter lights were bought Walmart in central Maine USA at $1 per pack in a post Xmas sale, the transformer cost me about £40!!)
Reminded me of my Dremel which I purchased in NYC in about 2000. 240>110v transformer cost almost as much as the Dremel did.

Just bought one of those LED work lights , the Nebo Big Larry 2 , someone was recommending them a while ago .

I bought one of these for £20 in Screwfix a couple of weeks ago, which has been excellent ... thinking of getting another even though they have since gone up to £22!

I've been replacing old fluorescent tube light fittings (11 of) and halogen floodlights (6 of) with LED replacements, and it's been invaluable. Came in pretty handy when the power went out in the storm on Friday night, too!

I bought one of these for £20 in Screwfix a couple of weeks ago, which has been excellent ... thinking of getting another even though they have since gone up to £22!

I've been replacing old fluorescent tube light fittings (11 of) and halogen floodlights (6 of) with LED replacements, and it's been invaluable. Came in pretty handy when the power went out in the storm on Friday night, too!
Similarly, got a couple of these from Amazon a while back; one for each car. Cheap as chips and with 2 mahoosive COB LEDs they are seriously bright and small enough to store away easily in the boot.
Untitled-1.jpg

Ok more polish, Turtle wax black ceramic wax, just tried it on the boot which i must admit is shiny already, seems very good making it pop and cures in 24 hr to pop more :banana: so will update you tomorrow again.

Ok more polish, Turtle wax black ceramic wax, just tried it on the boot which i must admit is shiny already, seems very good making it pop and cures in 24 hr to pop more :banana: so will update you tomorrow again.
I’ve been using the ceramic hybrid from them for about 2 years now.. Lasts well & goes far so I’m struggling to use up the bottle I have so that I can purchase their newer graphene product. My car is not a daily driver & lives in the garage so car products seem to last me forever.

Similarly, got a couple of these from Amazon a while back; one for each car. Cheap as chips and with 2 mahoosive COB LEDs they are seriously bright and small enough to store away easily in the boot.
View attachment 121347

The Big Larry , is very different , magnetic base with torch and work light, also it’s made of aircraft aluminium. All for around £15 , it’s an impressive piece of kit
426778CC-3779-48FE-B275-82947E2E470E.jpg

Today I have ordered a completely bespoke outdoor half-cover for my car. Going to meet the tailor doing the work in a few weeks to measure it up, make-up the first-fit cover, and agree fixing points. He’ll then create the finished article. Really looking forward to it.

Despite the number of businesses who describe themselves on the Internet as being manufacturers of bespoke or tailor-made. car covers, you would be surprised how difficult it has been to find someone who can actually manufacturer a bespoke car cover!

I have found one though, and I cannot wait to see the results.

When I was having this house renovated, the builder cut a few corners. Also, our energy bills have been going up. So I've been tracking down drafts.

Found some really bad ones over the weekend in the front reception where the my AV kit is mounted in what was the fireplace. Where holes have been cut for cabling, icy cold air has been whistling down the empty chimney and straight into the room. Plugged it all up with some old t shirts and the room is immediately two degrees warmer.

When I was fixing the washing machine the other week I also noticed massive ragged holes round various bits of pipework. Bought some of this at lunchtime and I'm heading down to the utility room now to seal it all up.

To sort all this properly I'm trying to get a cavity wall insulation firm round. As I understand it, they can go round all the walls from the outside looking for these issues and seal them up before filling up the cavities.

But for now, it's just me, old bits of cloth and some expanding foam :)

expanding foam.jpg

Nicely placed keys :thumb:
For scale? We’ve all got MBs ;) so presumably not bragging.
Scaling purposes only, naturally🙂.Sorry, but Bobby Dazzler's tiger wasn't available to nonchalantly wander past.
And if I'd put the SEAT keys there, I'd probably get an instant :ban:

The Big Larry , is very different , magnetic base with torch and work light, also it’s made of aircraft aluminium. All for around £15 , it’s an impressive piece of kit
View attachment 121352

I keep two like that in the Vito. A cheaper & nastier version (plastic body), but they're rechargeable rather than running on AAs and do the job well. The one I got from Screwfix recently is more what I'd call a worklight, with a wide base and tilting/swiveling light. It's 1000 lumens on full power (or 500 lumens on half power), run time 3 hours/6 hours respectively. Comes with both mains and car chargers.

Scaling purposes only, naturally🙂.Sorry, but Bobby Dazzler's tiger wasn't available to nonchalantly wander past.
And if I'd put the SEAT keys there, I'd probably get an instant :ban:
OK so a tiger is difficult to arrange at short notice, but you could have used a big toe.

Update on the polish, great 9.8 out of 10 :thumb:
I bought the standard one (before they bought out the black version) and find it very patchy on my black car although, to be fair, that is the general consensus online. So I have an almost full bottle say on the shelf. Might try the black version in the new year and hope it's good.

Last edited:
I bought the standard one (before they bought out the black version) and find it very patchy on my black car although, to be fair, that is the general consensus online. So I have an almost full bottle say on the shelf. Might try the black version in the new year and hope it's good.
Are you applying it properly? You only need a tiny amount. I believe the patchiness is caused by putting too much on. I usually spray it onto a damp applicator and not directly onto the car. Only problem is that on a white car it is difficult to see when removing the dry product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom