Recent purchase thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's the torque wrench like? I could do with replacing my old Draper 'bending beam' wrench

Wow that's really poor for Bosch.
I'm not an expert on torque wrenches , the criteria was :-
400mm long or longer , fed up of trying to remove wheel bolts with a small manufacturer suppled baby wrench.
120+ Nm , its rated 28-210
Cheap , £26 was the cheapest , even decent size Halford's wrenches are £90+
The 17mm socket @ £9.95 , expensive , was well worth it as it has a plastic sleeve to protect the wheel , it's 80mm long so no need to use an extension on the wrench.
I'll be putting my 19" alloys back on in a few weeks so will have a better idea of how good it is.

The chrome plating is fine , unlike the plating on Markjay's Botch socket set

Why are you using a torque wrench to remove wheel nuts🤔

I treated myself to a new watch strap recently. It’s the same Saffarino goatskin that Prada use. It’s actually a dark navy to match the hands. A relative bargain as it was only a tad more than the cost of a replacement original.View attachment 109451
I had a quick look to see if I could get a new titanium strap for my Tissot ( bottom of their range , very smart though) as the clasp was getting a bit marked - £143 - quickly put that idea out of my head.

Why are you using a torque wrench to remove wheel nuts🤔
Being the idiot I am , I assumed that if I upped the torque I could remove the bolts with the torque wrench and set it back to the required torque when puting them back on again. Can I do that ???

I'm not an expert on torque wrenches , the criteria was :-
400mm long or longer , fed up of trying to remove wheel bolts with a small manufacturer suppled baby wrench.
120+ Nm , its rated 28-210
Cheap , £26 was the cheapest , even decent size Halford's wrenches are £90+
The 17mm socket @ £9.95 , expensive , was well worth it as it has a plastic sleeve to protect the wheel , it's 80mm long so no need to use an extension on the wrench.
I'll be putting my 19" alloys back on in a few weeks so will have a better idea of how good it is.

The chrome plating is fine , unlike the plating on Markjay's Botch socket set
I’ve had what looks like the same wrench (branded Clarke) for more than 20 years and it’s still going strong.

I had a quick look to see if I could get a new titanium strap for my Tissot ( bottom of their range , very smart though) as the clasp was getting a bit marked - £143 - quickly put that idea out of my head.
Yes some of the bracelets are expensive! I’ve had this Fortis for years and it was a bit of a lockdown project as it needed a service, was missing a button and needed a new strap. Also turned out it had a broken lever inside as well. It had been stuck in a drawer for about 10 years. I fancied the bracelet for it but was crazy money. So a strap it was. Definitely recommend Genteel Handmade. Handmade by a chap (George) in Romania and you can spec exactly what you want. Took about 3 weeks. I have to say the best customer service of any company I have dealt with.

Bought these, anyone had them?

20210223_192221.jpg

Being the idiot I am , I assumed that if I upped the torque I could remove the bolts with the torque wrench and set it back to the required torque when puting them back on again. Can I do that ???

I suspect what Spider10 meant was if you want the torque wrench to last you are not supposed to use it to undo things only tighten them up. When the wheel has been on for a long time or has been grossly overtightened by the trade, they could easily need double the proper tightening torque before they move. For use when tightened properly by yourself it's not going to be a problem.

I’ve had what looks like the same wrench (branded Clarke) for more than 20 years and it’s still going strong.
There were quite a few brands in that price range , wrench, box etc looked all the same. Just tried it out , loosed and torqued the bolts on my front wheel , worked just fine.
When I was building my house, 20 years ago, I bought a 4" disc cutter ( £8.95 Power Devil) to do the cutouts for the electric sockets (concrete block ) I've used it for numerous jobs since then and it's still going strong.

As for the 4 legged friend, decades ago we had the big house with a 1/2 acre back paddock, the our second child was female so after a few years SWMBO started muttering about a pony for her. Fortunately a good friend who knew about such things told me "Horses and ponys only do 3 things - eat, fart and cost money" so I took down the gate and hedge between the garden and paddock instead, and got dear daughter interested in driving cars! Now wish I could remove the kilos of lead from her right foot!!

Eat, fart and cost money "

Yep, he certainly was an Equine expert!

Madam's brute (named Fynn but known to all as Big Bu**er or BB for short) has an inexhaustible appetite for Carrots, Apples, Mints , Hay, other assorted fodder, visits from experts who pamper him from his big heavy hooves to his big and scary teeth!

He also has a range of coats, blankets etc that would be the envy of many a well attired Gentleman of leisure.

To show his gratitude he regularly and with force adds in his own way to global warming!

Do I mind?

Not in the slightest because some years ago when my good lady had been diagnosed with Bowel cancer, had endured 2 rounds of surgery, various debilitating courses of Chemotherapy and had numerous and serious setbacks along the way and was so unwell she was ready to stop treatment because she felt it was just too much.

One of my few moments of almost genius was the thought of acquiring something that would relight the fire and the fight in her to continue.

For that BB has paid his account in full
🐎😁😁🙏

Not impressed :(
Mind you Sarah, just think what his self control has done to his waist line (I'm not suggesting that your lack of has done yours harm...):D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom