Recent purchase thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry to but in but i bet your watching car sos toinght on the hilman imp looking at your photo😃

Those were the days when I understood all that stuff. Reminds me of the R&S spectrum analyser that packed up on us at the most inconvenient time (as everything always does!) The only circuit diagrams I had for it were all in German - I didn’t understand a word but when needs must it’s surprising how quickly you can learn. It took a good few hours, but I fixed it far quicker than we could get hold of a replacement. I wouldn’t know the eingang from the ausgang now!

I've asked AHM Motorsport about theirs (for the 3.2) and the implications of ditching the DMF for their solid flywheel.
I may have got the wrong item, the wrong model, or be misinterpreting but....

''For use with solid flywheels only not duel mass'' from AHM Motorsport's web site says to me only suitable if the car originally had a single mass flywheel.

Also ''AHM performance clutches are intended for applications where the engine/vehicle performance has been increased above standard. ''

Is remapped ECU implicit in that? The main issue as I see it is if the standard ECU can maintain idle speed. It is unlikely the engine can idle at the same speed as before with a lighter flywheel. If the ECU can't adapt it will be a nightmare.

Unless your driving style is maximum attack a lightened flywheel is better avoided. Eg, unless you are aggressively double de-clutching and heeling and toeing every downshift, downshifts will be slower and more obstructive (as the engine speed will fall faster than road speed). Starting can be more difficult and they will stall on take-off much more readily requiring more rpm and clutch slip for an assured take-off from rest. Losing speed on gradient and head wind is a given.
I've ridden the exact same engine with and without flywheel. The flywheel was put straight back on.

I may have got the wrong item, the wrong model, or be misinterpreting but....

''For use with solid flywheels only not duel mass'' from AHM Motorsport's web site says to me only suitable if the car originally had a single mass flywheel.

Also ''AHM performance clutches are intended for applications where the engine/vehicle performance has been increased above standard. ''

Is remapped ECU implicit in that? The main issue as I see it is if the standard ECU can maintain idle speed. It is unlikely the engine can idle at the same speed as before with a lighter flywheel. If the ECU can't adapt it will be a nightmare.

Unless your driving style is maximum attack a lightened flywheel is better avoided. Eg, unless you are aggressively double de-clutching and heeling and toeing every downshift, downshifts will be slower and more obstructive (as the engine speed will fall faster than road speed). Starting can be more difficult and they will stall on take-off much more readily requiring more rpm and clutch slip for an assured take-off from rest. Losing speed on gradient and head wind is a given.
I've ridden the exact same engine with and without flywheel. The flywheel was put straight back on.
Yes the single mass flywheel bolts in as a direct replacement for the dual mass - you just need to use shorter bolts. It's a really popular mod. People used to use the flywheel from a 2.5l V6 from an Alfa 156 for instance but they are now super rare. They were i think 7.5Kg, the AHM ones are 8Kg unless you go for their very light one which is 6.5Kg. I think that would be going too far. The dual mass is 14Kg. I've driven a GTV with a 7.5Kg one and it was actually fine, and did rev much nicer. The GTA clutch (i wouldn't go for a Group N from AHM) is also popular - slightly lighter action. I came very close to buying a Ginetta G27 once with a Vegantune lump in it that had a super light flywheel and aggressive cams - that was almost undriveable on the road but i loved it's spluttery idle! I still wish i'd bought it just for the engine. There were build invoices for the engine for well over £10k in 1990!

Yes the single mass flywheel bolts in as a direct replacement for the dual mass - you just need to use shorter bolts. It's a really popular mod. People used to use the flywheel from a 2.5l V6 from an Alfa 156 for instance but they are now super rare. They were i think 7.5Kg, the AHM ones are 8Kg unless you go for their very light one which is 6.5Kg. I think that would be going too far. The dual mass is 14Kg. I've driven a GTV with a 7.5Kg one and it was actually fine, and did rev much nicer. The GTA clutch (i wouldn't go for a Group N from AHM) is also popular - slightly lighter action. I came very close to buying a Ginetta G27 once with a Vegantune lump in it that had a super light flywheel and aggressive cams - that was almost undriveable on the road but i loved it's spluttery idle! I still wish i'd bought it just for the engine. There were build invoices for the engine for well over £10k in 1990!
They idle OK?

You got my point though - it's easy to overdo flywheel lightening and turn a mellow engine into a complete PITA!

They idle OK?

You got my point though - it's easy to overdo flywheel lightening and turn a mellow engine into a complete PITA!
They seem to - the Alfa V6 isn't silky smooth at idle, they all seem to hunt a little. My Dad's Westfield i think has a good balance with a light flywheel (Ford X Flow) - it's driveable just about but still revs really nicely. I think the lack of overall weight must help with the driveability - it was built as a hill climb car. It's a pre-litigation one and to be honest the lack of space around the pedal box is a bigger hindrance, and i'm a size 6.5!

Got a Logitech 920 steering wheel for XBox but now have a problem where to install it. The living room option is out of question as it involves bringing in a desk in a room and Mrs hates it, installing it in kids play room would work for me but then we wont be with the girls while they're playing Fortnite and they like us watching them play.
The option I'm thinking of is buying a folding desk. Any other ideas?

They seem to - the Alfa V6 isn't silky smooth at idle, they all seem to hunt a little.
If the throttle butterfly stop can be adjusted you have more scope. Mine (not Alfa) isn't (technically that is as it's supposed to be tamperproof but I had to wind it in to get it to idle) and that puts a lot of reliance in the inlet air valve. Which has to be on the button for changing loads from auxiliaries (alternator and PAS/brakes). Hard to know if there's a target idle speed or just keeping it running is what the ECU is programmed to do.

My Dad's Westfield i think has a good balance with a light flywheel (Ford X Flow) - it's driveable just about but still revs really nicely. I think the lack of overall weight must help with the driveability - it was built as a hill climb car. It's a pre-litigation one and to be honest the lack of space around the pedal box is a bigger hindrance, and i'm a size 6.5!
The Westfield will have a gearbox worthy of a light flywheel - especially true if it's one of Ford's four speed boxes. Keeping the whole plot light definitely helps with a motor like that. A buzzy motor in heavy chassis is just a chore - unless some magical transmission can bridge the gap. I'm a committed left-foot braker so a clutch pedal is of no interest to me. Some form of automation required. Semi auto sequential in the smart, full TC auto behind the SBC. With only two pedals a Westfield pedal box would be much more civilised. My Dutton's was also cramped as hell. It had the lightest of Ford's four speed boxes though - a box unrivalled for rapid and sweet changes.

They idle OK?
Not related to flywheels, but my Alfetta had twin sidedraft Dellortos, and I have fitted twin sidedraft Webber 45s to a 1.8L GM OHC engine, talk about 'idling OK'.... it was a black art. Only thing worst was possibly the carbs on the ST6, or on the Ferrari 275GTB (never had one of those).

Not related to flywheels, but my Alfetta had twin sidedraft Dellortos, and I have fitted twin sidedraft Webber 45s to a 1.8L GM OHC engine, talk about 'idling OK'.... it was a black art. Only thing worst was possibly the carbs on the ST6, or on the Ferrari 275GTB (never had one of those).
I really miss carbs! Last car i had with carbs was my Alfa Sprint 1712. That was on twin Webers, i think they were 40's. Foolishly i occasionally ran it with just trumpets for the sound (but what a sound!). I figured the rust would get it before any contaminants in the engine! In the end it was a BMW that sealed it's fate.

They sound fantastic though when the butterflies open.....
There's a lot to be said for the civilising effect of ECU controlled injection but the distinction between it and carbs made by a Saab engineer has never left me: 'Electronic injection is like eating the toast then the butter. Carbs are like eating the toast hot buttered.'

They sound fantastic though when the butterflies open.....
There's a lot to be said for the civilising effect of ECU controlled injection but the distinction between it and carbs made by a Saab engineer has never left me: 'Electronic injection is like eating the toast then the butter. Carbs are like eating the toast hot buttered.'

The word 'intoxicating' comes to mind... sadly it was true in more ways than one.

Bought two umbrellas for the SL after a recommendation and link on this forum and bought some ehn2 for the taxi, again from a recommendation and link on this forum.

That's some piece of kit. What do you use that for?

At the moment development work on a new revision of a portable medical test analyser for virus testing for a large UK medical company.

Last week it was work on access control systems for a bank.

This weekend the grandson wants me to fix his remote control car. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom