Recent purchase thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We got it for our static caravan - the oven is pants so it was either this or a new gas oven! Less expensive option
You will know when the filter needs cleaning in an enclosed space like a caravanšŸ˜‰

Just ordered the pan set
That looks like a good buy if theyā€™re good quality. Iā€™d be interested to hear how you get on with them.

We bought some traditional Le Crueset cookware some years ago, which look really lovely and feel fantastic but my wife said were much too heavy to use safely when full, and so sit unused. To be fair they are heavy even for me.

So during the last lockdown we ordered a new set of ā€œmodernā€ Le Crueset which look similar in style those in the link and despite the ahop telling us they were much lighter, theyā€™re not and so they sit unused too!

More often than not she uses the much cheaper and much older ones we bought when we first moved in together! Despite trying to replace them twice they live on, laughing in the face of newcomers! šŸ˜

Last edited:
That looks like a good buy if theyā€™re good quality. Iā€™d be interested to hear how you get on with them.

We bought some traditional Le Crueset cookware some years ago, which look really lovely and feel fantastic but my wife said were much too heavy to use safely when full, and so sit unused. To be fair they are heavy even for me.

So during the last lockdown we ordered a new set of ā€œmodernā€ Le Crueset which look similar in style those in the link and despite the ahop telling us they were much lighter, theyā€™re not and so they sit unused too!

Ore often than not she uses the much cheaper and much older ones we bought when we first moved in together! Despite trying to replace them twice they live on, laughing in the face of newcomers! šŸ˜
Yep that stuff is heeeavy. Then you throw in a couple of kg of lamb shanks etc, you need to have your Weetabix before you think of moving a pot full of stuff that is 180C.

Yep that stuff is heeeavy. Then you throw in a couple of kg of lamb shanks etc, you need to have your Weetabix before you think of moving a pot full of stuff that is 180C.
I do agree. Draining the large pan when filled with potatoes has even my left arm shaking, although that might be shock of cooking as much as it is the weight of the pan and itā€™s contents! šŸ˜

I do agree. Draining the large pan when filled with potatoes has even my left arm shaking, although that might be shock of cooking as much as it is the weight of the pan and itā€™s contents! šŸ˜
Not great when using on a glass induction hob, they are really easy to break, I know this.

However, I still use my 30 year old Le Crueset when making any kind of casserole, it just seems to work.

More often than not she uses the much cheaper and much older ones we bought when we first moved in together! Despite trying to replace them twice they live on, laughing in the face of newcomers! šŸ˜
I'll have to haunt the charity shops near you...... :banana: Love that stuff but funds never stretched that far!

Not great when using on a glass induction hob, they are really easy to break, I know this.

However, I still use my 30 year old Le Crueset when making any kind of casserole, it just seems to work.
Yup, cast iron and shin beef. Stunning combination

Yup, cast iron and shin beef. Stunning combination
When I was a kid my mother always put a massive pot on the AGA and started a veggie soup that lasted all winter. She always added shin and my biggest treat was to have the marrow (that had cooked out and floated to the top) on a slice of bread and butter.

Fast forward 20 years and my wife arrives home and is really grateful to find me cooking the shin bone that sheā€™d bought for the dogs........ā€itā€™s not for the dogs dear , itā€™s for meā€.

Those Ninja pans look very similar to the Le Creuset TNS (toughened non stick) set that we have and love (and are light enough to use, unlike the cast iron stuff!) - except that the Ninja lids have vent holes, which ours do not. Beware the lid handles, they look the same as ours and get very hot when used - I learnt the lesson the hard way and now use oven gloves to lift "in use" lids!

Another lesson is do not turn the hob up to full heat with little or nothing in the pan, it quickly starts breaking the non-stick coating. Wife has damaged the 18cm saucepan coating by doing that instead of being patient and waiting until there's an amount of something in the pan before turning it up full.

Those Ninja pans look very similar to the Le Creuset TNS (toughened non stick) set that we have and love (and are light enough to use, unlike the cast iron stuff!) - except that the Ninja lids have vent holes, which ours do not. Beware the lid handles, they look the same as ours and get very hot when used - I learnt the lesson the hard way and now use oven gloves to lift "in use" lids!

Another lesson is do not turn the hob up to full heat with little or nothing in the pan, it quickly starts breaking the non-stick coating. Wife has damaged the 18cm saucepan coating by doing that instead of being patient and waiting until there's an amount of something in the pan before turning it up full.
Last week I bought some Le Crueset silicon pan mitt designed to stop exactly what you describe - because Mrs D said the handles get too hot as well as being too heavy! - and I accidentally bought four pairs!

If you PM me your address then Iā€™ll post you a pair (brand new and boxed) in the post, all I ask is that you keep the goodwill going with your own random act of kindness when an opportunity presents itself šŸ‘šŸ»

I'll have to haunt the charity shops near you...... :banana: Love that stuff but funds never stretched that far!
I think we gave one or two pieces away a while back but I think we still have a cast iron skillet, frying pan, saucepan and casserole dish, and maybe something else, all from a blue set.

I think the cost of posting them will be ludicrous, but next time youā€™re in the Midlands or North Devon - or Iā€™m in your neck of the woods (not often) - then whatever we have left is yours, along with mits!

Alternatively if we can get the MBClub courier system working then we could send them on a relay from here to there. Iā€™ve not seen it mentioned or done recently, but it used to work well years ago!

Just keep the goodwill flowing with a small random act of kindness, which I know will be second nature for you. You kindly offered to help me out many years ago when I was trying to find somewhere safe to park, and and Iā€™ve never forgotten šŸ‘šŸ»

One other thing I forgot earlier about our TNS pans - on an induction hob. We have a 70cm AEG/Electrolux induction hob which, according to whichever part of the owners manual you read, needs either 120mm or 130mm minimum magnetic base on the pan to work - and our 16cm TNS pans are 128mm. From experience you cannot use these pans on less than setting 4 (hob has U-1,2,3 then 1/2 steps to 7 then 8,9 and P, at which it's up to 3.2Kw!!) without beeping between on and F(fail), so to use for low power settings we have to use a handled SS disc - slowly heating baked beans, gravy etc). Larger pans (18cn plus, including my saute pnas, frying pans and woks, we have a lot of TNS!!) are not a problem even though we have a larger disc if needed.

All told, however, having in the past had every type of hob, from electric "stand-up rings", electric under glass glow red ones and gas, I would not trade our induction hob for any other type - in fact is was about the first thing we changed when we bought this house 15 years ago!!

Not sure what the non-stick coating is on those pans but if Teflon is heated too high, it gives off poison fumes.

We bought a slow cooker during lockdown 1 and it has been 1 of the best things ever, my favourite things from it either has to be homey mustard gammon or a lamb tagine, meat just falls apart on your fork, so you have to scoop it

We bought a slow cooker during lockdown 1 and it has been 1 of the best things ever, my favourite things from it either has to be homey mustard gammon or a lamb tagine, meat just falls apart on your fork, so you have to scoop it
We still regularly use our prehistoric Tefal slow cooker. It's a great piece of kit. Does fabulous beef casserole with dumplingsšŸ˜‹

We still regularly use our prehistoric Tefal slow cooker. It's a great piece of kit. Does fabulous beef casserole with dumplingsšŸ˜‹
We also have one of those with the brown pot and clear lid. Purchased it in the early 80s & it is still going strong. Still frequently used to do ox-tail but 40 years ago it was the pot for ...'coq au vinā€™.

I think we gave one or two pieces away a while back but I think we still have a cast iron skillet, frying pan, saucepan and casserole dish, and maybe something else, all from a blue set.

I think the cost of posting them will be ludicrous, but next time youā€™re in the Midlands or North Devon - or Iā€™m in your neck of the woods (not often) - then whatever we have left is yours, along with mits!

Alternatively if we can get the MBClub courier system working then we could send them on a relay from here to there. Iā€™ve not seen it mentioned or done recently, but it used to work well years ago!

Just keep the goodwill flowing with a small random act of kindness, which I know will be second nature for you. You kindly offered to help me out many years ago when I was trying to find somewhere safe to park, and and Iā€™ve never forgotten šŸ‘šŸ»
And that is one of the reasons I love this forum - people are so kind (and the forum gave me a wife - have I mentioned that? šŸ˜)

I will invoke the MBCCS (MBclub Courier Service) which I think a few of us have benefited from in the past - didn't someone once have a piece of furniture relayed the length of the country?:banana: Which area of the Midlands?

RAOK is a great idea - as a matter of fact I'll start a thread right now as I have a S211 rigid boot liner taking up space in my shed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom