Recieved a PCN today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Got the shock of my life today.Put my hands up it was my fault as I did a daft thing.What happened was, I parked up on a car park for an hour or so and when I got back the pcn was on my windscreen,saying that this vehicle was seen on a public road without a valid tax disk and warning me that I was been reported to the DVLA.I do have valid tax disk but because I bought it a week before my old one ran out I did not fit it,and as you guessed I forgot all about it :eek:.On the back it refers to charges and fines but Im under the impression that these refer to not displaying a parking ticket.Does anyone know what the likely outcome is going to be and what I need to do.Cheers

Display your valid tax disc!

This doesn't sound like a PCN; you don't get a PCN for no tax displayed.

A scan of the document affixed to your car would be helpful.

Rob

This is what I have

pcn.jpg

Last edited:
Few years I got a warning type notice issues by a traffic warden for not displaying a tax disc (no penalty though). Tax disc holder had been loose, it was summer and the widows had been open a lot, also I'd been to the tip the weekend before with a car stuff full of rubbish, so may have lost it then. Anyway I wrote to the appropriate office and got a replacement disc (think there was a nominal charge). No other action was required.

Edit - seen the image now, I'd sugest the DVLA won't take any action if the car is taxed and you contact them pretty quickly to arrange replacement. Think I phoned first to find out what I had to do.

Last edited:
That's naughty of Stoke. I would complain to them, they cannot use a PCN to issue a warning notice to a vehicle for no tax disc. There is a specific form which must be used called an INF101 for off-street use (rather than the CLE2/6 or CLE 2/8 which is used for highway/on-street), and this form is then sent to the local DVLA office for their consideration.

Considering you have a valid tax disc I suspect NFA will occur, but it's up to you if you want to have a moan at Stoke as frankly they shouldn't use the PCN for this type of warning.

HTH

Rob

Just for clarity (I actually thought Stoke were being helpful as this is clearly only a warning - albeit a little on the scary side) if they had crossed through the pre-printed PCN header would this be OK?

Not ideal tbh - the Attendant can in theory duplicate this info onto the relevant form to submit to DVLA but the vehicle should receive a copy of the INF101. Not generally applicable for a CLE form though, just to be confusing ;)

Thanks for the quick responses:D Not sure about complaining yet I shall see what happens.It has served as a kick up the backside in getting me to display my current tax disk now,It has scared me a little as I have heard you can still get fined for failing to display,I don't suppose you know what the penalty could be?

Not sure about the fine bit, that's dealt with by DVLA. IMO I don't think you need worry; in P'boro the DVLA only seem concerned with vehicles 3months+ out of date, from what I see when we have joint enforcement operations.

It may certainly be different for regional offices, you could put your mind at rest by contacting them I guess :D

I don't know what the penalty is but the offence is not displaying a valid disc, rather than not having one, which is a seperate offence in itself..

Not sure about the fine bit, that's dealt with by DVLA. IMO I don't think you need worry; in P'boro the DVLA only seem concerned with vehicles 3months+ out of date, from what I see when we have joint enforcement operations.

It may certainly be different for regional offices, you could put your mind at rest by contacting them I guess :D

Ok thanks :D

I don't know what the penalty is but the offence is not displaying a valid disc, rather than not having one, which is a seperate offence in itself..

And therein lies the problem :D It's an offence to not display; but a PCN is by definition a penalty for a civil matter and not used for any offence (it deals with contraventions).

Therefore, a PCN cannot be used for an offence :rolleyes:

What the fine is however, is something I don't know, but a fine for not being taxed would be issued by DVLA and is a civil matter also. The offence is not displaying a tax disc, which is dealt with by police.

Confused? You will be :crazy:

I'm sorry, my understanding of the correct terminology is lacking. I thought the non-displaying was a civil "offence"?

Don't think so; as far as I'm aware it's an offence and dealt with by a Police FPN. Not having a tax disc at all is dealt with by DVLA and would be a civil matter in that instance, as it would be a prosecution.

The offence of non-display is derived from the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (c. 22).

Not exhibiting licence

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and
(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is for the time being in force.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

(3) Subsection (1)—

(a) has effect subject to the provisions of regulations made by the Secretary of State, and
(b) is without prejudice to section 29.

Last edited:
Slight thread creep, but I was pulled over the other day after passing an ANPR van. This was 6 weeks after I had bought my car, and 4 weeks after I had received my V5 from DVLA. The car was showing as 'No Registered Keeper'

The guy who pulled me couldn't have been more polite. He asked if I had just bought the car and immediately accepted my explanation that I had, and had received the V5 from DVLA. He blamed the muppets (my word, not his) in Swansea for not updating the system.

Of course, the devil in me immediately thought "Hey, maybe they have lost my records, and in which case I might be immune from PCN enforcement?" Don't think I'll chance it, though!

Display your valid tax disc!

This doesn't sound like a PCN; you don't get a PCN for no tax displayed.

A scan of the document affixed to your car would be helpful.

Rob

They won't do anything for failing to display - unless you punched the traffic warden they will report it and check it .
It's probably a £5 fine if they bother to proceed.

Scans and photocopies are worthless .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom