recommend a 2nd hand car <6k for provisional driver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tylerdurden, May 14, 2019.

1. MikeInWimbledon

MikeInWimbledon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 E500 5.5. Previously E350 S500, E500, SL350, SL500, S500, E55
    I still counsel an easily found six year old mainstream car, on 50k Miles, with one or two owners, and a service history for a quarter of its new price. “Classic cheap motoring.”

Enjoy it for two years and then move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdrrco and TeddyRuxpin like this.
  2. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    A couple of years back , when my daughter finally got her own place , at 31 , she had to get her own car instead of driving her mum's .

I had previously given her a 190 some 10 years ago , but she felt it was 'too big' . This time round she wanted to buy a nearly new Mini or Fiat 500 .

I told her that until she got on her feet with the flat and getting used to paying the bills etc , she would be better off buying something cheaper . Add into the mix she wanted an automatic , and the choices were more limited . However I found a 51 plate Polo 9N , 1.4 automatic , one elderly owner who was giving up driving , a few parking type dings on the corners ( said owner admitted she had caused these , hence giving up driving , but otherwise very good , with local garage service history ) , asking price £1100 . The test drive revealed the engine sounded very tappety , so I said we'd think about it overnight and let her know in the morning . Looking online , it was a common trait of that engine , but the consensus was that they would run forever like that anyway .

So we went back in the morning , offered her £1K for it , saying it was my daughter's first car .... she didn't have a lot of money etc , and the deal was done . I serviced it myself , changed brake pads , put on a couple of new tyres , new battery and all was good . Two years on , it has passed two MOT's without advisories , and she beamed when told by the tester that , apart from the dings on the corners of the bumpers , it is a little gem of a car for its age .

So far she still likes the car and I suspect she won't want to fork out on another until such time as this one starts costing money to keep roadworthy .

Not particularly 'a classic' , but a sensible older car that still runs well and perfectly safe , and she's £5K better off than if she'd bought something newer . I also suggested that if someone damaged it she'd be a lot less upset than if something happened to a more expensive , newer car . Less likely to get stolen or vandalised anyway as it's the sort of car no one takes notice of parked in the street .

MikeInWimbledon likes this.