Recommend a battery charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c63chris

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
As above I have an SL63 which spends most of its time garaged. When it's not been used for a while the electronics are really iffy at the start so thinking it's the battery in the boot. Want to hook it up to a trickle charger but there's loads out there. Any recommendations?

CTEK battery conditioner is normally the recommended make - but expect to pay £50 or so. Another alternative, when they have the special deal on, is the Aldi/Lidl conditioner for about £15 - but don't be surprised if it fails after 3 years.

Definitely get the Ctek, the same as sold by MB under their own name. You can get a panel socket fitted for easy connection, just like MB offer.

The MXS5 should be ideal and about £60 from Amazon about £150 from MB!!

+3 for CTek

whitenemesis said:
Definitely get the Ctek, the same as sold by MB under their own name. You can get a panel socket fitted for easy connection, just like MB offer. The MXS5 should be ideal and about £60 from Amazon about £150 from MB!!

Thanks. Have ordered one. Where does the panel socket go and is it an easy fit it?

Usually fitted in the boot trim side panel.

whitenemesis said:
Usually fitted in the boot trim side panel.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions but do you know where I would get a panel from?

There are 2 types of connector sockets, the one that comes free with the charger, that you have ordered, is the one in the 3rd picture down in this guide here… Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

There is another connector, that you can buy as an accessory, is seen in the 9th & 10th picture down in the link above.

See also CTEK accessories… www.ctek.com

Dec

Indeed - the battery in my SL is nearly 12 years old now!

BTB 500 said:
Indeed - the battery in my SL is nearly 12 years old now!

Are you charging both batteries or just the "control" battery in the boot?

I use a Ctek MXS 7.0

MXS 7.0

This is the same one as the MB branded one. You need to at least get one with this level of current because of the size of the battery in your car. I have SLK 55 AMG so probably same size battery unless your car has a battery which is even bigger so you definitely need at this size trickle charger.

I just use the eyelet to the battery and CTEk connector to the charger.

I use the MXS 5.0 without issue in my mercs with big batteries

the battery restoration mode is great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom