Recommend a free FTP client?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I have a 16MB video file that the in-laws would like. It's on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3BbL7rD-Vs :D), but I don't think you can download from there?

I can't email it as Yahoo has a 10MB attachment limit.

I have some webspace at http://uk.geocities.com/ but their upload utility is restricted to files under 5MB.

So ... I think I need an FTP client, preferably a free one! Google shows lots, but which to trust?

Suggestions / recommendations welcome!

TIA :)

use www.yousendit.com

No need to do anything complicated, they will get an email and a link to download from. Its free up to 100Mb too, used it for years.

Cute FTP or Filezilla. You have an FTP client through DOS worst case.

if you need it I can let you use 16mb of space on my server :)

drop me a PM if you want me to sort it out for you

Andy

BTB 500: Am I right in understanding that your problem is that you want to transfer a large file from your computer to your in-laws'? If so, an FTP client alone will not solve that problem. An FTP client needs an FTP server to connect to, and I'm assuming that neither you nor your in-laws are running one. This is where andy_k might become a useful intermediary...

If this is just a one-off then I wouldn't bother downloading and installing an FTP client. Just use the capability built in to Windows (if that's what you're running). I can help with the details, if needed.

You could use 'send file' if you both have Skype - it's a bit slow, especially if you're talking at the same time, but it works.

use windows live messenger or such like. I sent 200mb to a friend the other week. If you both have broadband not a problem, but if the in-laws are on dialup will take forever.

Another vote for FileZilla - be careful downloading "Free" FTP software through Google etc though if you are not sure about what you're getting, there are a few rogue programs out there!

As an alternative solution consider HJSplit, this is a freeware utility that takes any file and splits in into chunks of a size you specify. You get it installed on both PC's, split it and email and the receipient just reassembles it.

It is very simple to use.

Many thanks guys, tried "yousendit.com" as per Sp!ke's suggestion.

Why not split the film in two and send two 8mb files, have an advertising gap:D

I've used CuteFTP in the past and found it to be a good product - if I remember right there was a small charge to download it though?

Since I've had XP, on the odd occasion I've needed to I've just used Windows.

If it's a one-off, snatch Andy's hand off with his kind offer. ;)

use www.yousendit.com

No need to do anything complicated, they will get an email and a link to download from. Its free up to 100Mb too, used it for years.

Just found a minor annoyance with this - for files over 20MB the person at the other end has to sign up before they can download.

SmartFTP? Free for private users, or certain the copy I have was.

For simplicity, you just can't beat LeechFTP (freeware)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom