Recommend a home alarm and CCTV system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
Hi all,

As titled, I'm looking to set up the Greedy lair with some new security. I have an old wired alarm system that works, but needs replacing due to some house rennovations.

What I'm looking for:

- Two external CCTV cameras that records front and back. Possibly the bubble type. Ideally with two way audio accessible from phone.
- An alarm, with internal IR sensors, plus if possible one or two internal video cameras (front and back door) IF the alarm is triggered.
- because I don't fancy changing batteries every 3 months in all the sensors, if the IR sensors could be powered over the existing wire, this would be ideal (although most products on the market seem to think everyone wants battery powered units).
- auto recorded to either a hidden hard drive in my house, or backed up to the cloud for access some time later. Benefit of hard drive is no cloud subscription.
- access to alarm and all videos either live or if alarm triggered.
- Is a mobile network required or recommended with back up for it the crims get smart and cut the phone line?

I'm very handy with DIY, but also don't mind getting some pros round to fit.

Can anyone recommend a set up? Could be two separate systems for CCTV and alarm.
Or should I just get the pros round?

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate some experience of the good folks of this forum.

I haven't got a system as sophisticated as you're maybe looking for, but I have Blink (by Amazon) cameras inside and out, they don't record constantly but are motion activated. They can be set to trigger an alert in the phone app when there's motion and you can get a live view through the app as well. They also allow you to mask out some of the area so those particular areas won't trigger motion alerts, for example one of my neighbours has a bush that moves in the wind and I mask that out.

Ring cameras x 3 fitted to the abode , two cordless and one mains and all are Wi-Fi. Easy to fit and setup with no wires required to be ran. All App controlled and any alerts stored via the "cloud" ,at additional cost.

Image is decent and an alarm with two way comms can be activated from anywhere provided you have a phone signal.

K

CCTV = Arlo Pro if you want wireless or Uniview if going for a recorder and wired cams. Both have AI, two way audio and mobile phone alerts/viewing.

My insurance company said that my house policy would INCREASE a fraction if I had a Ring door Bell camera. Apparently the thieves love being told you are not in!!!

My insurance company said that my house policy would INCREASE a fraction if I had a Ring door Bell camera. Apparently the thieves love being told you are not in!!!

Why would you tell someone over a Ring doorbell that you're not in? Doesn't seem particularly sensible, say you're in the loo or somethinig.

If you want the alarm and cameras to be fully interoperable, cost effective and easy to support and troubleshoot then I would go for Ring without thinking twice.

Ring cameras have some useful features like triggering alerts to your phone and triggering audible chimes which make a sound - which you hear and know there’s someone outside, and they hear and know that you know there’s someone outside.

They make a great “second system” for those with professionally installed alarm and camera systems. They’re so quick, easy and affordable it’s a no brainier to add some resilience into even a very expensive and sophisticated home security set up.

Why would you tell someone over a Ring doorbell that you're not in? Doesn't seem particularly sensible, say you're in the loo or somethinig.
Quite!....but not everyone is that bright!

Looks like Ring gets some good reviews.

I am slightly nervous about buying a system supplied by a tech giant, as I understand these are also used by those companies as enormous vacuums for your meta data. Who is in when, car make model and registration, times of deliveries, identifying products in your home, pets, etc etc. And then the often refuted but suspected eavesdropping.

So whilst Ring, Google, Amazon etc are tempting, I want to see if I can get a system that I am in control of, and more importantly, where I control access to my data. Maybe this is a bit too optimistic, but that would be my first preference.

Costco have loads, check their website. I have a wired system which records 24/7. Monitor in my home office, recorder hidden. Simple mouse click from one camera to another or you can have multiple cameras on screen. Fast forward & reverse. Make sure the wires are hidden:oops: but cameras are visible. (then they will go next door) Get the best resolution you can. No good buying a cheap system when the perpetrator is a blur

So whilst Ring, Google, Amazon etc are tempting, I want to see if I can get a system that I am in control of, and more importantly, where I control access to my data. Maybe this is a bit too optimistic, but that would be my first preference.

If you go for something that has remote access via an app then you are at the mercy of your network and internet provider regarding data access.

The reason i went with the Ring system is that when i work nights i can get an alert if someone is snooping about , i can then activate the alarm remotely and if i fancy a chat with the crims i can also do that, all without panicking the wife , thankfully to date i have not been required to do so but i would rather record the undesirables being "spooked" than record them breaking into the house.

K

Looks like Ring gets some good reviews.

I am slightly nervous about buying a system supplied by a tech giant, as I understand these are also used by those companies as enormous vacuums for your meta data. Who is in when, car make model and registration, times of deliveries, identifying products in your home, pets, etc etc. And then the often refuted but suspected eavesdropping.

You’re right to consider the security of your data, and for me it comes down to weighing up the potential for

1 the service provider using information gathered about you for commercial benefit and what the impact would be (eg targeted ads) - typically this is associated with the tech giants you mention. In practice it would be with consent (agreeing to T&Cs) although there are concerns of malpractice.

2. the service provider not securing information gathered about you sufficiently to prevent it being compromised and used by unauthorised third-parties used criminally (eg theft, physical security, sale of images) - typically security is taken very seriously by the tech giants but may not receive the same attention by small players or rebranded generic devices.

I personally trust the likes of Google and Amazon more than I trust generic devices and small players, as I’m worried less about receiving adverts than I am targeted by criminals. But we all take a different view in these things, there is no right or wrong, just different.

Reolink, I have 13 cameras spread over three locations, one location is in Spain.
vast range of cameras and all at amazing prices. They even have battery cameras with or without small solar panels or even cameras with SIM cards for locations without wifi. Can be viewed from anywhere in the world via an easy to use APP.
The latest camera added to their range is a two in one lens that get stitched together so it covers a very wide area. people and vehicle recognition.
Amazon sell them so you can buy, try and return if your not happy 😊

oh, and a two year warranty with great support

oh, and no need for subscriptions

We have used a simple Swann wired system for the past ten years, being wired means there isn't a lag when you are viewing, & to clarify the cabling uses standard BCN connectors which we have protected by placing them into a hidden double switch socket box. 18 months ago upgrade to new & better cameras was a simple camera change with no need to rewire. Swann all the way

Pyronix do some good gear, professional alarm systems and cameras that integrate. UK company too.
Eaton do an “i-on” wireless alarm system that is good, straight forward to set up, uses common AAA batteries. The main box is mains fed and battery backed up, the bell and keypad are better hard wired but not necessary.
Do you need the alarm to contact a central call centre (policed response if you re lucky) are you happy with a text..( nothing like one to spoil your holiday) or just a good old noisy bell outside to let those around know…
I ask having spent many years in this business..

Pyronix do some good gear, professional alarm systems and cameras that integrate. UK company too.
Eaton do an “i-on” wireless alarm system that is good, straight forward to set up, uses common AAA batteries. The main box is mains fed and battery backed up, the bell and keypad are better hard wired but not necessary.
Do you need the alarm to contact a central call centre (policed response if you re lucky) are you happy with a text..( nothing like one to spoil your holiday) or just a good old noisy bell outside to let those around know…
I ask having spent many years in this business..
Thanks.

The wiring is already everywhere, should it prove possible to re-use it.

In terms of notifications, I'd like any sort of notification to the phone, and then ideally the ability to view in real time. This would allow me time to call the Police or a neighbour. Saved footage to give to the Police later after the crims have made off with their ill gotten gains.

Thanks.

The wiring is already everywhere, should it prove possible to re-use it.

In terms of notifications, I'd like any sort of notification to the phone, and then ideally the ability to view in real time. This would allow me time to call the Police or a neighbour. Saved footage to give to the Police later after the crims have made off with their ill gotten gains.
Re the alarm, if the wiring is there then I would be tempted to use it. Imho hard wired systems are always more reliable. I would pop along to a proper security outlet (Security Supplies have a few outlets ) and have a chat. Lots of good , easy to set up and use systems available.
The cctv, better to record to a recorder (nvr) that is hidden away at home somewhere for ease of use. though can save to a cloud for extra security too.
All can send notifications, record, play back over your phone if you have 4/5G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom