Recommend a LCD 32"/37" for around £400?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Last night my 42" Plasma finally died - it was an acient beast that I bought 2 years ago off Howard, so old in fact that Charles 1st used it for presentations on the The Roundheads ;)

Im on the hunt for a new LCD for around £400 - £450 if its a 37". Id prefer a 37" as im thinking 32" will be too small now after the mighty 42".

John Lewis have THIS nice SONY for only £329 (instore) or THIS Samsung for slightly more £396.75 - slightly more, but its brighter, has 3 HDMIs & optical outputs etc.

The good thing about John Lewis is the free 5 year warrenty :bannana:

I went into RicherSounds as they have a Samsung 37" for £399, but of course they didnt have any, nor did he have any idea if they ever would :rolleyes:

Nowt really on Tescos site, I can get 10% off as a mate works for Tesco's HQ
I want to avoid budget brands, can only find any deals out there?

Mate , what happened to it ? :(

Mate , what happened to it ? :(

Totally dead, no power at all, LED wont even light up. :( Ive tried 3 kettle leads & different wall sockets to no avail...

Im currently listening to telly via the freeview box/amp :mad: :mad:

Have a gander inside ... bet it's got a fuse on the circuitboard somewhere !

Have a gander inside ... bet it's got a fuse on the circuitboard somewhere !

I cant, one of those custom Hook/loops that you fitted long ago has a broken tread and cant be removed, so it cant be opened :(

Its currently on the wall via 3 out of 4 screws attacted to the wall holder.

Chop it off with bolt cutters , and have a look inside , i'll get you a new loop.

Gotta be worth a quick look inside at fixing it. If it's 100% dead, it could well be something silly like a fuse as Howard has said.

Better than throwing it away without checking :)

Will

The LCD sets you linked to are both 32"??? The HD READY 37 " PANASONIC plasma TH-37PX80B gets good reviews or even its bigger 42" brother but you are maybe a bit wary of plasmas now? For £400 you can probably only get an HD ready LCD anyway. The latest Samsung LCDs are worth a look also- they share display screens with Sony ( but not for much longer as they are to be taken over by Panasonic) With LCD you really want the most up to date electronics like 100Hz double scan but probably only available on the later high end full HD LCD screens in a higher price range.

Thanks for the replies, yeah those linked are only 32" as I cannot find a decent make 37" for under £450 :( (apart from Richersounds).

As for reparing the old screen - anyone seen the inside of an old school plasma? its like a metropolis of chips + had another look at it, bolt cutters would not appear to work as the bolt is linked to the 'chassis' of the screen, it would appear that I would need to cut the casing

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, yeah those linked are only 32" as I cannot find a decent make 37" for under £450 :( (apart from Richersounds).

As for reparing the old screen - anyone seen the inside of an old school plasma? its like a metropolis of chips + had another look at it, bolt cutters would not appear to work as the bolt is linked to the 'chassis' of the screen, it would appear that I would need to cut the casing

You're only looking at the basic things - locate the power supply and see if there are any internal fuses etc :)

Nothing to lose if you're going to chuck it anyway? :eek:

Will

I have found Panasonic to be utterly reliable.
My hi-fi units are now over 10 years old and faultless.
And if longevity is what you are after I have a VERY old 12" B/W Panasonic that I bought in 1975ish that still works perfectly.

Just bought Samsung 37" (LE37A457) from Argos £436 3 year warranty. Best one for the price in my opinion. Also the only one with all positive feedback.

Just bought Samsung 37" (LE37A457) from Argos £436 3 year warranty. Best one for the price in my opinion. Also the only one with all positive feedback.

That sounds good, I will have a look on their site...

I wish i could convince my dad to change the TV we have.... its one of those old sony's with a huge rear. Bought it back in 1989 and his philosophy is "if there's nothing wrong with it, why spend money?" :(

Kudos to that TV though.. its been faultless ever since we bought it... only thing it does now sometimes is that it takes a good 10-15 secs to load from a 'cold start'.

Karl .... i can't remember what i did to the back of it ...

Can you take a piccy of the offending bolt ?

If you are going to bin it anyway , have a look inside .... it'll be something simple . Different if say the light comes on but no screen , or the fans and no screen , but if it just dies like it did , it'll be something simple .

dabs.com has a 37" HD ready LCD tv for under £300.00 in the sale according to my email today. Sorry i cant get details due to net restrictions here.

Well... Ive bought it! Exactly what I was after Samsung/Sony, 37" for under £450. :D :D :D

I totally cant afford it so its gone onto my Mastercard :eek:

Thanks everyone else for suggestions etc!

Karl .... i can't remember what i did to the back of it ...

Can you take a piccy of the offending bolt ?

If you are going to bin it anyway , have a look inside .... it'll be something simple . Different if say the light comes on but no screen , or the fans and no screen , but if it just dies like it did , it'll be something simple .

I will have a look tonight, I cannot remove the case anymore but will keep trying. A mate said he would buy it for £50 if I can get it up and running again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom