Recommendation for new bed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Anyone has any suggestions for a new bed?

Tried a top of the range duxiana bed today in London .. very comfortable BUT

about £8000 (yes, eight thousand pounds) for 6' wide bed.

Don't buy a waterbed - the cause of a divorce between my friend and his wife.

Things were okay at first but after a while they just drifted apart.

:D

As I mentioned on another thread last week, we bought a Silentnight Miratex memory foam mattress (no springs) from Costco for £200 including the VAT. It was so good we moved the beds around we have it in our room.

I think the mattress we had before cost about four times that amount about 10 years ago, and this one is much more comfortable - or at least it suits us better.

If your frame/base is OK and a new mattress might do the job, I can recommend it.

Waterbed....had one for many years. The most comfortable beds ever and temperature can be set to anything you want. Extremely cost effective as the mattress (water bed) outlasts any normal bed ten times over and ultra easy to clean, as you simply wipe them over. No bed mites or anything like that.

Not that good for anything apart from sleeping though ;)

Last edited:
Waterbed....had one for many years. The most comfortable beds ever and temperature can be set to anything you want. Extremely cost effective as the mattress (water bed) outlasts any normal bed ten times over and ultra easy to clean, as you simply wipe them over. No bed mites or anything like that.

Not that good for anything apart from sleeping though ;)

Oh I don't know...get that wave moving at the right rate...:ban:

Very personal things, beds. My advice is that you need to find a good showroom and lay on whichever bed you're considering for a good while to see if it suits you / your partner.

We bought a Vi-Spring bed in John Lewis's sale about 14 months ago so got a really good deal and after a couple of weeks getting used to it, it's been absolute bliss to sleep on it. Vi-Spring offer a 90-day exchange program if you've bought one of their beds from a retailer and find it too soft or too firm - I'd suggest that you should ask for the same sort of thing for whatever you settle on.

Beds do vary but I think the majority is in the matress. Go somewhere with a good range and try as amny as you can, hopefully on the same sort of base so you can judge the mattress alone.

I tried all sorts, discounting a memory foam base in favour of a more traditional sprung mattress.

Some were hard to tell apart or why they cost differently, the odd mattress would feel brilliant but be silly money (high). I selected a short list that felt good and in my budget range and swapped betweeen them until I decided on what felt good for the money. Basically the 'best' (most esxpensive) in my chosen price range at the point I couldn't actually feel the benefit from the next one up.

The brands I ended up comparing were Reylon and Hypnos. I can't recall the spec but pocket sprung with a selection of other layers on top. A great mattress, came in under a grand in a sale. The only problem is we have to shop for extra deep sheets as it is deeper than a typical mattress, a small consideration to keep in mind.

I have a Hypnos its about 6 years old and still very comfortable, I tried lots of other beds and this is the best I found

My dads been in the furniture trade for the last 15 years and myself for 5. When i hear people paying more then 200 for a matress and 500 for a bed i cant believe it. Our most popular orthapedic matress costs less then 100 and leather bed frames less then 300. It pays to find your local bed wholesaler and just to go in and have a haggle.

My dads been in the furniture trade for the last 15 years and myself for 5. When i hear people paying more then 200 for a matress and 500 for a bed i cant believe it. Our most popular orthapedic matress costs less then 100 and leather bed frames less then 300. It pays to find your local bed wholesaler and just to go in and have a haggle.

where are you based?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom