Recommendations/Advice sought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jotter22

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
Been thinking about a replacement for the CLK will want convertible and would like some thoughts regarding running cost's (not interested in fuel economy) service,tyres and the like,
Car's in question: R172 slk 55 AMG and Jaguar XKR 5.0 supercharged.....
Have done all the youtube/online reviews and i am still torn any help would be appreciated (i am sure i can rely on you to be non biased):D

Thank's Tony.

Bearing in mind it will be a weekend car i drive an old 4x4 pickup all week so a rikshaw would have interior luxuries i am not used too and dont start me off on a harsh ride!:thumb:

is that it must be other impressions?

Tony.

I know you have said about not being concerned about the ride quality per se but our SL is streets ahead of the SLK for comfort. Don't get me wrong, we never thought the SLK's firm ride was uncomfortable or unacceptable, just that the SL's is much more refined and probably more Jag-like in that respect. For weekends only and perhaps the occasional trip, it would be the SLK over the Jag…….if I fitted in the thing, we would have kept ours for that very purpose.
The small size, good road holding (tested extensively) make this a very useable sporty car and an absolute hoot in the twisty lanes. I can only imagine how much fun a 55 engine in such a tiny package would be.

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

I only have the "old" 4.0 litre Jag with 400 bhp, not the 510 of the one you're considering :)eek:) and I'd choose that over any SL except the 600.

Good friend of mine has had a 2005 SLK 55 AMG from new and loves it, but there's absolutely NO proper storage space for 2.

It depends what you want ...... daily driver plus weekender may turn into daily plus want to use weekender for week/fortnight touring the Continent - in which case the SLK will frustrate you enormously. It seems to be a great point and squirt car, but do you want that ALL the time?

The Jag is a GT cruiser AND you can hustle that model along at quite insensible speeds if you want to. Although my CL is faster, my XK handles better, even for a convertible.

There's also a great, dedicated XK owners' club which will give you an idea about running costs. I gather they're not too bad unless you always light up the rears and corner like a madman.

XKEC Home

As Mrs Swotty says ......... I've you're gonna have one .... have a BIG one!:D

Stuart

p.s. nice dilemma to have - enjoy!

I know you have said about not being concerned about the ride quality per se but our SL is streets ahead of the SLK for comfort. Don't get me wrong, we never thought the SLK's firm ride was uncomfortable or unacceptable, just that the SL's is much more refined and probably more Jag-like in that respect. For weekends only and perhaps the occasional trip, it would be the SLK over the Jag…….if I fitted in the thing, we would have kept ours for that very purpose.
The small size, good road holding (tested extensively) make this a very useable sporty car and an absolute hoot in the twisty lanes. I can only imagine how much fun a 55 engine in such a tiny package would be.

Have you started on your sl review yet?

Tony.

Have you started on your sl review yet?

Tony.

Only had one 40 mile drive so far…….might be able to go for a drive today. I will drop you a PM when I post a review. Any whispers about a Bluewater GTG?

Not recently i think people are still in hybernation (Rashman will be) too much salt and wet but keeping my ear to the ground.

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom