Recommendations for a generator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I am looking to buy a smallish generator for emergencies. I just need something large enough to keep the fridge/freezer running (cant drink warm beer), power the pump for the boiler and a few lights.

It will primarily be an emergency backup so it will likely spend 99% of its life unused therefore I don't want to spend too much, effectively pricing me out of any Honda unit.

I haven't actually done the match to see how much my boiler and fridge/freeezer uses but I am guessing that I would get by with a 1000w job.

Can anyone recommend something reasonably priced but reliable? (Say £200 ish)

Suitcase type would be preferred I think unless anyone suggests otherwise.

Try Petepower.co.uk suufolk / norfolk ? for a guide / what to look for and reccomendations, he also sells second hand reconditioned ones very good knows his stuff ( its all he does ) I have a kawaski GA1400 not exactly a suitcase but will go forever and highly reliable some of tyhe suitcase types are quite frail choke breaks etc then it wont start then parts / hassle etc

I bought a cheap chinese one on fleabay before doing the timbuktu (1.5kw if memory serves). I've used it twice since, when we've had brownouts and it's never missed a beat.

Maybe I've been lucky...

I have a small generator that I picked up years ago for £20 from a pal. Seems to work ok but I've since been using a different system.

I have a 2.5KW invertor from an old ambulance and an old 100Ah car battery, both fit perfectly in this metal box I have. It's much lighter to carry than the generator and apart from a couple of small fans it's pretty much silent.

I have a little LCD voltmeter installed and a quick charging point easily accessible on the side.

I've powered an outdoor PA system from it for an event in a park for 6 hours. 80% loud music, 20% announcements. The voltage dropped down to 12.3V in that time. The invertor cuts out at just above 11V. It could easily run my house for a day on 1 battery.

Last edited:
Kipor is reckoned by some to be next best thing to Honda. No personal experience, but a chap in our model club bought one and was very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom