Recommendations for a replacement W221 strut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScoobyDooLondon

Car
Mercedes S320 CDI 2008
Need to replace the front strut on my W221 - don't wish to pay the dealer price, anyone care to offer any suggestions or recommendation for an alternative strut.

Replacement alternatives I'm aware of:

- Air Dominance www.airdominance.co.uk
- Aerosus www.aerosus.co.uk

In terms of pricing:
Mercedes (new) - £1,225
Mercedes (re-conditioned) - £832
Arnott - £510 (new), £440 (re-conditioned)
Air Dominance - £349
Aerosus - £369

All prices include VAT and except for the Merc new, require the old strut to be returned to achive the quoted prices.

For the recons above, do they repair a genuine MB strut and make it good, or do they just build their own version?

I think all come with a 2-year warranty.

Looking for advice on any suitable options.

Last edited:
I had Arnott reconditioned ones to fit on my 211 and they looked brand new but took 5 weeks to turn up. I got them from HIDs Direct.

Air Dominance have had a couple of unfavourable reviews from people on here but Aerosus have had favourable.
I am sure someone with experience of those will be along shortly.

I believe you have to change both sides with aRNOTT

It only makes a difference for the rear air springs.
Due to the removal of the external air reservoir on the Arnott rear spring and there only being one level sensor for the rear axle.
Fronts are essentially the same as MB and there is a height sensor for both sides so changing one front will not present a problem.

I bit the bullet on mine and changed all four as I didn't fancy being stranded again as they all had similar mileage and the rear off-side dropped over a couple of days.

Going to order the Arnot stuts, from HIDS-DIRECT but the price now comes to £664 rather than the £501 I qas quoted last week!

What's the approx price I should be paying and where from?

FYI, vehicle is W221 2008 320CDI front-right strut, non-ABC, non-4MATIC.

Did the original quote include the £100 core fee?
When they get your old one back they refund the £100.
The cheapest I could find was from HIDs Direct.
I paid £440 each (W211 non-4matic). I see they have increased significantly since then.

I just followed the link from Arnott's website to UK dealers and worked through them all to get the best price.

Thanks for the feedback Lyserman.

No, the new price didn't include the £100 refund.

That said, its nearly xmas and I just want the car fixed so not overly worried. Spoke to HIDS-DIRECT and I think the original person I spoke to may have given a wrong price - although I wish I had ordered it then and there had I known! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom