Recommendations for Holiday in Italy July/August 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Next year is SWMBO 50th and she is a twin, they also have an elder sister, we have been asked to go on holiday all together 3 couples and the preferred destination is Italy in July/August 2014. Problem is SWMBO both sisters like to do totally different things on holiday to me and SWMBO but its OK I can live with that for one holiday as me and SWMBO are also going to the Caribbean on our own as well :D

I need somewhere in Italy on an all inclusive package, must be coastal, have beaches, hotel must have pool and poolside bar area 4 or 5 star, be located close to a town with good bars and restaurants.

I only know rural Italy so I'm not much good on the tourist spots.

Anyone got any recommendations?

TIA

Either somewhere around Amalfi / Positano,Capri, or one of the lakes?

Not quite Italy, but Sardinia is a microcosm of everything Italian and is a fantastic place.

Hi Ian, love Italy, the food, courteous, stylish and laid back people.
Although its not coastal Lake Maggiore fits the bill in every other way and Milan is only 20 miles down the road and Switzerland a boat ride or a drive through a tunnel just a little bit north...good food as well and some great hotels down the western side of the lake.

Sorrento is very nice with easy access to Naples /Capri / Almalfi Coast so lots to do. The hotels in Sorrento are nice and a good choice. And its on the coast.

Last edited:
Although its not coastal Lake Maggiore fits the bill in every other way
Agreed. And it has the added advantage that if you get bored dossing around the pool, you can rent a car and spend a day tootling around the hills :thumb:

I need somewhere in Italy on an all inclusive package, must be coastal, have beaches, hotel must have pool and poolside bar area 4 or 5 star, be located close to a town with good bars and restaurants.

TIA[/QUOTE]

Why must it be all inclusive?

TIA

Why must it be all inclusive?[/QUOTE]

Because 4 out of 6 want it that way, I'm in the minority on this one and the way they eat and drink I suspect it would be cheaper that way :thumb:

OK need some more pointers after a family conference.

Lake resorts are out as are the islands Sardinia etc.

Anyone got any recommendations for Amalfi Coast or Tuscany?

Perhaps look at Cyprus and Greece as they tend to be more into the AI hotels...
Good advice, I'd say. I suspect AI deals are pretty rare on the Amalfi coast, but you might find something in one of the Tuscan spa towns like Montecatini Terme?

Looks like I can get away without AI so now its just down to Hotel if we stick with Italy. I know Cyprus really well so no problem finding what I want there. Greece is a definite no go.

We stayed here in Amalfi a couple of years back. Not super luxurious, but a nice place nevertheless that's a short walk to the town and not daft price-wise.

Also stayed here in Castellina in Chianti. Only 3-star, but it's a really lovely place and very well situated.

I know you are ruling out Lakes - a mistake IMO - Riva Del Gard takes some beating and has good beaches, and there is a 5* hotel with a beach area right outside. The Lake is so big it looks like the sea.

All Inclusive? We have found these are restrictive and offer limited meal choices, when outside the hotel there are a multiple of choices from a basic pasta dish to 5 star restaurants.

If it must be Sea Side - Sorrento should be at the top of your list, Fly to Naples (BA and Easyjet), pre-book and take a private bus/taxi for you all to your hotel in Sorrento. You may not be right on a beach but there will be a pool, and there some public beaches. As already said, boats south to Amalfi coast resorts, Pompeii and Herculaneum plus Naples, all on the doorstep with inexpensive excellent public services.

Last edited:
A mistake in mine too I love the lake resorts but SWMBO elder sister is a hard act to please :D I agree on the AI but you wont get 2 of our party anywhere near pasta, so why are we going to Italy you ask :dk: A very good question and for what they want I'm trying to get them to go to Cyprus instead it will make my life a whole lot easier :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom