Recommendations for new detailing starter kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bullbars

Car
Mercedes-AMG C63S (W205)
After a longer than expected wait I should collect my C63S on Saturday.

Having subjected my current car to the horrors of my local Romanian hand car washing service (with predictable swirly results), I think I should start as I mean to go on and always clean the new car myself.

This seems like a good time to chuck out my 10 year old microfibre cleaning glove, Swiss cheese-like chamois, rationalise the collection of half full bottles of cleaning products currently littering my garage, and start again.

Can anyone suggest a basic starting list of kit/products to buy? Ideally all from the same place, rather than a shampoo from online retailer X and a wax from a specific detailing supply shop somewhere in the back of beyond?

So far my list is

2x buckets
Microfibre glove
Microfibre cloths
Bug/tar removing product
Shampoo
Wax/protector of some variety
Wheel cleaning product
Wheel sealing product
Exhaust tail pipe cleaning product
Something for keeping the leather + other interior clean

Not sure if this is a reasonable list or if I missed something?

Ideally all should be a good combination of easy to use and good results, I unfortunately don't yet have the enthusiasm to spend 2 hrs applying the world's best wax, for example!

Also can I buy all this stuff from Halfords, or would that be the act of a lunatic?

Thanks!

Halfords have a 3 for 2 promotion in store at the mo, I stocked up on Meg's products.

You've got most items.

I'd add a fallout remover to the list.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd add a clay bar (and possibly a quick detailer/lubricant depending on which clay bar you buy). Give the car a good wash, then clay the entire car, then wash again, then polish and wax. Only need to clay the car once or twice a year!

I'd also add a lambswool wash mitt for "above the waistline" areas of the car, then use the microfibre mitt below the waistline then the wheels. You can machine wash a microfibre mitt (40-50C but no fabric conditioner!!) but not a lambswool one. You'll also find a microfibre drying towel a good investment rather than trying to dry with an ordinary microfibre cloth - I can dry the entirety of my 968 cab without wringing the towel out, whereas with an ordinary microfibre cloth I'm forever wringing it out!

Last edited:
I would add a wheel cleaning tool to use. Wheel woolies are great but cost alot for what they are.

Thanks folks

As an aside, I just clicked on the microfibre cleaning glove shopping link in my post above... not sure I've seen one like that before!

Having subjected my current car to the horrors of my local Romanian hand car washing service (with predictable swirly results), I think I should start as I mean to go on and always clean the new car myself.

This seems like a good time to chuck out my 10 year old microfibre cleaning glove, Swiss cheese-like chamois, rationalise the collection of half full bottles of cleaning products currently littering my garage, and start again.

Can anyone suggest a basic starting list of kit/products to buy? Ideally all from the same place, rather than a shampoo from online retailer X and a wax from a specific detailing supply shop somewhere in the back of beyond?

So far my list is

2x buckets - + at least one grit guard
Microfibre glove - Autobrite Lambswool Mit
Microfibre cloths - Any quality cloth - some cheaper ones scratch
Bug/tar removing product - Autobrite Just the Tonic
Shampoo - Autobrite Purple Velvet
Wax/protector of some variety - Autobrite Direct Hellshine Abyss sealant, then Obsession, or Autograph as sealant and wax combined
Wheel cleaning product - Autobrite Purple Rain decontaminent, then Britegel as a regular cleaner
Wheel sealing product - Autobrite Very Berry Wheel sealant, or Metalworx
Exhaust tail pipe cleaning product - Autobrite Metalworx
Something for keeping the leather + other interior clean- Autobrite Leather cleaner / revive and Pink Sheen or Berryblast

Not sure if this is a reasonable list or if I missed something? Reaper drying towel, chamois leather is dead..............

Ideally all should be a good combination of easy to use and good results, I unfortunately don't yet have the enthusiasm to spend 2 hrs applying the world's best wax, for example!

Also can I buy all this stuff from Halfords, or would that be the act of a lunatic?

Thanks!

We use all of the above in our detailing bay, plus we also sell most of it from stock. It is all very, very good. HTH :thumb:

For my detailing products I've always used either Polished Bliss (previously mentioned above) or Elite Car Care based in Maidenhead.

I'd add a clay bar (and possibly a quick detailer/lubricant depending on which clay bar you buy). Give the car a good wash, then clay the entire car, then wash again, then polish and wax. Only need to clay the car once or twice a year!

Or you could use a clay mitt instead of clay bar for more easy application. Good for starter.

I agree with Leef44, the clay mitt is fantastic. Having used a clay bar several times I know what a slow and laborious task this is. I was recommended on the 75 & ZT owners site to try the Farecia G3 clay mitt (12.99)
I tried it, took me just two hours to do my car with exactly the same result as the clay bar, but without the residue that a clay bar can leave and you don't need to use the spray lubricant just warm soapy water.
I wont be using a clay bar again as I said 12.99 from Halfords :D

Just my opinion

Cheap Karcher washer for pre-wash hose down and rinsing (£80) - less water than a hose - no need to try and blast dirt off.

Autoglym are nearly idiot proof and reasonable price.

Use motorcycle cleaner in lieu of the wheel cleaner - the wheel cleaner is too strong for the bare metal in the brakes area.

So far my list is

2x buckets
Microfibre glove
Microfibre cloths
Bug/tar removing product
Shampoo
Wax/protector of some variety
Wheel cleaning product
Wheel sealing product
Exhaust tail pipe cleaning product
Something for keeping the leather + other interior clean

Not sure if this is a reasonable list or if I missed something?

Thanks!

This is like reading a page from my own book. Just finally chopped in my ancient E39 which I had lost interest in cleaning (and was also carefully looked after by the local immigrants) for a S204 Merc, and when I got the wash bucket out I found the 3 expensive chamois I had all had holes in them, the Megs lambswool mitt was clearly past its best and the Megs NXT polish had all seperated, even after a bloody good shake.

So I am in exactly the same boat as you so this thread is very helpful to me as well!

Glad to be of service!

I've added a snow foam lance and a job lot of snow foam to the list, as I'm always a fan of a gadget. Haven't got the bug/tar remover yet, nor the exhaust pipe cleaner since I don't think this will need doing on the first wash (scheduled for next week...)

After looking at options I've mostly gone with PoorBoys products from Polished Bliss, plus Bilt-Hamber wheel cleaner and a Microfibre Madness mitt. Most stuff turns up next week, and I'm actually looking forward to cleaning my car myself again!

Talk about the things you own owning you.

I probably washed the Focus twice a year if that.

Today I have just ordered all these:

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay Kit
Foam Wax Applicator (3)
Autoglym - Super Resin Polish
Eurow - Plush Buffing Towels Pkg/2
3M Glass Cleaner CarPro - Iron X 500ml
Zaino Z8 Grand Finale Spray Seal
Extra Large, Soft Microfibre Car Drying Towel 60cm x 90cm for
Karcher Snow Foam Lance
Wookie Genuine Lambswool wash mitt

I already have snow foam shampoo, and normal shampoo.
I already have Autoglym vinyl and rubber for the interior.

When they come here is my plan of attack:

Outside:
Snow foam with lance.
Spray on glass cleaner, wheel cleaner. Wait 5.
Hand shampoo with mitt. Clean wheels with foam sponge
Jet rinse.
Dry with big towel
Apply clay bar and lubricant.
Auto glym srp (sparingly!) Buff off
Wash again with very little shampoo if dust not buffed off.
Zaino z8 (sparingly!)Buff off

Inside, hoover and clean with the vinyl and rubber cleaner

Funny that you should say Snow Foam... I've just added that to my list of stuff I must have as well lol

Talk about the things you own owning you.

I probably washed the Focus twice a year if that.

Today I have just ordered all these:

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay Kit
Foam Wax Applicator (3)
Autoglym - Super Resin Polish
Eurow - Plush Buffing Towels Pkg/2
3M Glass Cleaner CarPro - Iron X 500ml
Zaino Z8 Grand Finale Spray Seal
Extra Large, Soft Microfibre Car Drying Towel 60cm x 90cm for
Karcher Snow Foam Lance
Wookie Genuine Lambswool wash mitt

I already have snow foam shampoo, and normal shampoo.
I already have Autoglym vinyl and rubber for the interior.

When they come here is my plan of attack:

Outside:
Snow foam with lance.
Spray on glass cleaner, wheel cleaner. Wait 5.
Hand shampoo with mitt. Clean wheels with foam sponge
Jet rinse.
Dry with big towel
Apply clay bar and lubricant.
Auto glym srp (sparingly!) Buff off
Wash again with very little shampoo if dust not buffed off.
Zaino z8 (sparingly!)Buff off

Inside, hoover and clean with the vinyl and rubber cleaner

Did you consider Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection for use after the SRP? I have had good results with that in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom