Recommendations for Supply/Fit LSD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenSJason

Car
C63 Supercharged
Hi all,

I've managed to persuade a friend into a W204 C63. We looked hard for a good car with LSD but I'm sorry to say, there's a lot of bad examples so he picked up one without that was a peach.

I've never really looked into it as I have a factory LSD on mine so, what are the options? Wavetrac? Quaife? Where is the best place to go for a fair deal and good workmanship. Located in West Sussex.

PCS horndean will be able to fit Quaife LSD as well.

Above - agreed.

Birds have been fitting quaifes for years but I really rate PCS despite never using them. I have called up for some advice on my IPE and they really know their stuff.

I'd go for PCS as well, mainly due to their proximity to you in West Sussex. Oh, and due to the fact that they're good at what they do. :)

I should have looked more closely at the OP's location :doh:

PCS are good guys and very capable :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever there's a LSD question, everyone recommends Quaife. Have people not tried anything else? Quaife are not the best at ATB, even Wavetrac is better. Not to mention the true, plate locking diffs.

Just thought I'd give my 2p. :cool:

Whenever there's a LSD question, everyone recommends Quaife. Have people not tried anything else
My personal experience on E63 Biturbo's is limited to the AMG plate diff and the Quaife, and I only use the car on the road.

I've found the Quaife to better suit my driving ability on the road than the AMG plate diff. I found the latter prone to snap oversteer at the limit whereas the Quaife ATB diff is much easier to both predict and control. The AMG diff also caused more tyre scrubbing in slow speed turns, and needs regular oil changes.

I think it's a bit of a horses for courses situation. If you want ultimate performance on a track and have the ability to extract it then a plate-type diff is probably the best bet. For the average Joe like me on public roads I prefer the Quaife. I accept that others may (and do) have a different view.

My personal experience on E63 Biturbo's is limited to the AMG plate diff and the Quaife, and I only use the car on the road.

I've found the Quaife to better suit my driving ability on the road than the AMG plate diff. I found the latter prone to snap oversteer at the limit whereas the Quaife ATB diff is much easier to both predict and control. The AMG diff also caused more tyre scrubbing in slow speed turns, and needs regular oil changes.

I think it's a bit of a horses for courses situation. If you want ultimate performance on a track and have the ability to extract it then a plate-type diff is probably the best bet. For the average Joe like me on public roads I prefer the Quaife. I accept that others may (and do) have a different view.

Thanks for clarifying P. Given that almost anything out there is better than Quaife diffs wise, it's interesting that it's the most popular LSD with the AMG crowd. You prefer it but if one wheel loses contact with the ground, Quaife will send all torque to that wheel spinning it in the air, however momentary that would be. Wavetrac is a better option as it prevents the free spin from happening in the first place. I'm not advocating for either (I've got OS Giken in mine), just thought I'd highlight the obvious difference between both ATBs in light of them costing the same money to buy.

If I've got one (drive) wheel off the ground on a public road I've probably got a bigger problem than sub-optimal traction :D

Bumps-humps. You've got to be prepared ;)

Quaife are probably the "Go-To" diff as most people have heard of them.

Wavetrac are good (a certain member from Birmingham had one in a stupidly powered C63) but I found it noisy when I drove the car, and no different to mine (Quaife) under normal driving conditions, which is all I, and most people in reality, do nowadays.

Quaife are probably the "Go-To" diff as most people have heard of them.

Wavetrac are good (a certain member from Birmingham had one in a stupidly powered C63) but I found it noisy when I drove the car, and no different to mine (Quaife) under normal driving conditions, which is all I, and most people in reality, do nowadays.

I'd say normal driving conditions hardly warrant a LSD. Yours has seen plenty of runway tarmac so the choice is completely justified in my eyes. Quaife has indeed become a "Go-To" diff on here because of group buys. Not saying it's a bad product, just that there are better ones out there and worth considering them when the cost is more or less the same.

Re Wavetrac. Perhaps not dialled in?

Just thinking aloud.

My diff whines a little at 80 kph and that's really annoying given that the speed limit on our local roads is 80.

Most of my 300CE-24 had been renewed but the diff may benefit from renewal or replacement. I've spent so much already that the cost may be forgotten if it did the trick.

So, my question. Does a Quaife replace the entire diff and would it this replace all the whining parts? If so, I'd be pretty chipper.

Are Quaifes quiet? Again, I'd be chipper if so.

Or am I making a fuss about nothing? My Dutch friend who used to sell 124s when they were new says that I am. More than that he says that a few owners of new 124s used to grizzle about whining diffs!

What to do?

By the way, PCS in Horndean has confirmed that there is a Quaife that would bolt straight into my 5-speed auto 300-24 with only the alternative "rings" to include in the mix.

Or shall I spend the cash on drink and fags?

Best to all.

RayH

Id rather opt for the original AMG diff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom