Recommendations for web building software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

csx355

Evening all - Over the last 12 years or so that we have our own business I have used a variety of 'out of the box' style web sites - this culminated in the best version that I did using Front Page 2000 back in 2000/2001. The site was ok - sort of chatty style but did not have an e commerce facility.

Tail end of 2003 I bit the bullet and paid a designer to build a 'proper job' site with ecommerce attachment, problem was I sort of lost editorial control and subsequently interest in the site. I can change the products, but not the 'feel'. Nothing much wrong with it - it just was not us and I don't like the fact that elements of it I don't understand.

So - now having forgotten everything that I learnt with Frontpage (which was not a lot) I am tempted to have another bash - Any thoughts and views on software that is relatively easy for a pc klutz to use - not too FLASH!! and sane pricing would be much appreciated.

Hi CSX,

Speaking with experience of being a Web designer/consultant for the past 12 years... If you want a really good, functional, sexy site leave it to the pro's. I know I am bias in my opinion but no package out there will automate flair for design or useability.

Sure - One of these programs will create a table and allow you to create the layout you want but it won't create the killer graphics or application back end for you. You really have to know what you are doing.

Perhaps we (designers) get paid too much for what we do but you are not paying for someone to hash a site together with Frontpage or the like.

It's a bit like paying for a solicitor to do your will. Anyone can download a free will writing template but you pay a solicitor for their knowledge on what you really need to put in it.

Plenty of 16 year olds out there can use frontpage to create a site but building it is not the issue. Getting it right for the image of the company means a lot more than that.

I'm happy to help out if you need assistance and I guess it all depends on what you want as an end result.

2 peneth worth.

Thanks Ash - I must admit that there is no doubt that some of the sites that I visit are incredibly sophisticated and very slick - artistically some are to my liking however many are not and are just too damn clever. I want it to be simple and clean and don't really feel too inclined to pay (albeit justifiebly) to be able to play around with it. I suppose when I did it myself - it meant something - I feel now that I have lost some control over it. I am sure that you are absolutely correct and appreciate your offer, but just for the moment I want to get back to basics.

OSCommerce? Its free and pretty simple too.

You could create some sister sites to your current one and have them all point at the same database.

Many thanks guys - I will take a look at some of these - mess it all up and then go back to comports.

Whatever happened to front page?? Taking up andy_k's point - as a small business we are successful because of our personality. A web designer will inject an element of their personality onto the biggest shop window that we have - call it ego but I am slightly uncomfortable with that - perfect for larger concerns though.

Dreamweaver alllll the way my freind; I've used it since I was 17, 4 years and over, it's a good peice of software, and allows you to do more than Frontpage; I used Frontpage when I was 15, and using Dreamweaver was like being in a playpen with alot of toys to play with.

If you ever do consider Dreamweaver, be assured it's a very good, but powerful program. Oh...and it allows hotspots too (where you can place spots on an image and link it to a page or anything else).

We use EKM Powershop. We ship worldwide and this gives us the facility to allow our customers to select from numerous currencies, it integrates with HSBC Secure E-Payments which takes away a lot of the risks involved, VERY easy to update and as they host it (very little down time and they have just spent money on new servers too) we can log on from anywhere to update stuff or check on orders.

Top of my head we pay £25 ish p/m inc vat for the lot!

Well worth it and we can't find anything to top it for ease of use, both retailer and customer sides and value for money.

Kate

http://shop.wellsmart.co.uk if you want a look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom