Recommendations: gloves for detailing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
Any recommendations for lightweight gloves for detailing? (Washing, polishing and a bit of elbow grease to be more accurate)

I'm coming to the end of my box of disposable gloves and rather than just buy another box of cheapies, I'm wondering if there's something better.

I don't need to go the full Edd China - these are just for cleaning rather than maintenance, but something less single-use will save the planet and cheer up the spirit of My Old Dad.

186F76AB-56A3-4753-86AD-B603B74A7742.png

Muc off gloves. Plenty of feel but also the backs breath quite well for summer use. Can be washed and re used quite a few times, don't know how many yet I've not worn through any.

I tend to use Aurelia Bold gloves, they seem to last quite well and don't tear very often. The obvious downside is that they are nitrile so they can make your hands a bit sweaty.

I just tend to use disposable gloves. Think about it this way, one ward on a hospital will go through more gloves in a year than you will in an entire lifetime....

Eddie China, top bloke! Seen all the classic Wheeler Dealer episodes. Not sure what he does these days since the departure from the show. I heard he was treated pretty badly, especially when they were in America 😟

The cheapest nitrile gloves I could find are from ebay. Black colour seems to be popular these days.

I just tend to use disposable gloves. Think about it this way, one ward on a hospital will go through more gloves in a year than you will in an entire lifetime....
Fair point: NHS used a billion single use masks in the first year of the latest shenanigans.

I was just thinking that my hands don't go into as many interesting places,

Last edited:
Eddie China, top bloke! Seen all the classic Wheeler Dealer episodes. Not sure what he does these days since the departure from the show. I heard he was treated pretty badly, especially when they were in America 😟
Edd's happily paddling his own canoe on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/eddchina

For sure he fell out with Mike but young Brewer was always going to be a studiously commercial guy chasing crazy money out of his "flipping cars is so easy 'cos the Labour's free" story. Whereas Edd is more the wacky engineer than the cute sidekick.

It's great to see engineering creeping its way into the media. I can sit and watch other people fettling or baking for hours. Just don't expect me to do it.

Gloves????? Just man up an use the skin you came with!! Then you can have cracked, calloused, dry, oil stained skin like me that makes my hands look more like an old school HGV mechanic than a salesman!!
But my dear old Dad doesn't keep his tin of Swarfega in my garage any more

Good point though, I'm amazed how mechanics, factory workers and deliverymen always wear gloves these days.

D628098F-5074-4BCC-8087-0C77E44A0795.jpeg

Last edited:
My dad never wore gloves (No one did 'back in the day') then wiped his hands off with old brake fluid o_O before using Swarfega! Certainly removed all signs of muck, grease and oil :rolleyes:

But my dear old Dad doesn't keep his tin of Swarfega in my garage any more

Good point though, I'm amazed how mechanics, factory workers and deliverymen always wear gloves these days.

View attachment 127090

^^ that's a very old can of Swarfega. I used to work at the factory/head office so went through a few of these.

Gloves????? Just man up an use the skin you came with!! Then you can have cracked, calloused, dry, oil stained skin like me that makes my hands look more like an old school HGV mechanic than a salesman!!
Reminded me of when some friends in the village recently visited. The mwah, mwah bird days seem to be over since Covid so I simply shook her hand to welcome her. She commented on how lovely and soft my hands are!:oops::)

I didn’t know whether it was an insult or compliment.

I don’t use any creams etc but do make a impressive effort to avoid manual labour and use gloves when working with any chemical that might get on my skin.

^^ that's a very old can of Swarfega. I used to work at the factory/head office so went through a few of these.
TBH, I think Dad would have been using the 1960's version from this "Happy Man" advert of 1963

48B43BDF-6F70-4C19-B757-5B819630890D.png

I personally use black disposable gloves when detailing. The best I’ve found so far are Unigloves Pearl Nitride powder free gloves from Amazon. The quality seems good and I’m on my third box now.

I use them for detailing and anything else where I might want to protect my hands or keep them clean, like dealing with chemicals, going to the tip, cutting the lawn, setting up the caravan, etc.

I shy away from reusable gloves as both cleaning them - and not cleaning them - usually means I’m exposed to the things I have tried to protect myself from. Disposable gloves avoids that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom