Recommendations on cleaning steering wheel, gear knob etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Omega

Hi guys,

Whats the best thing to clean steering wheels, gear knobs etc ?
I know it might seem a daft question, but I’m not 100% certain what they are covered with, and don’t want to over do it.

They started to get a bit sticky about 6 months ago,,,, but after someone left a window ajar in the rain yesterday, they got worse.

Is soapy water o.k ?

Is alcohol needed ?

I just use leather wipes. - Like baby wipes, but they've got wax or something in them to nourish the leather instead.

(And no, that doesn't mean my steering wheel is all slippery and that I'm a danger on the road.)

Damp terry or microfibre cloth and a bucket of warm water with a few drops of apc works for me.

Then add some good leather feed as these are usually not coated like the seats.

Dr Leather does a leather cleaner that’s very good. Comes in a spray bottle (my preference) or in tubs of wipes.

I use THESE THINGS on the leather bits, damp microfibre cloths on the suede stuff.

Amazing how much crud comes off the suede stuff just with a damp rag. :eek:

Thanks guys,
Whilst waiting, I tried a bit of warm, soapy water at the bottom of the wheel, because it rubs on my clean, first time on, white shirt when getting in !
It seemed to do the trick, so ended up doing the rest, then a light rub with Sticky Stuff Remover.
I do have some leather wipes that my Son bought me - smashing for the dashboard and trim - but it really is too slippy for steering wheels.
I've had something similar many years ago with none leather wheels, but I didn't expect it on this. It's only a domestic use, carries almost nothing but me, certainly nothing sticky.
Anyway guys, looks like it's sorted, but I really appreciate your time in getting back to me.
I'll look for the Dr Leather / Armor All for future reference.
all the best to you all
Baz

PS: I'm putting up another post about LED bulbs as headlights.

Reactions: Ted
Better to use only warm water some micro fiber cloth and gently clean, if you really want to take it a step further meguiars have really good leather product if you want to nourish them

Thanks guys,
Whilst waiting, I tried a bit of warm, soapy water at the bottom of the wheel, because it rubs on my clean, first time on, white shirt when getting in !

Tried moving the steering wheel? :D :D

+1 for Dr Leather wipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom