Recommendations: Table Tennis Tables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

0O2A9091-2.jpg

Hey Folks.

Having filled a skip with junk this past week we've now freed up some space in the garage and I'm thinking of adding an outdoor table tennis table. We plan on playing in the garage sometimes, but mostly on the drive or back garden. Anything I need to look out for? We like to buy once, so reckon we need to spend a bit.

I've seen plenty for sale from £100 up, but quite fancy this Kettler @ £457 from Amazon. (cheaper elsewhere).

Kettler Axos Outdoor 3 Table Tennis Table

Any thoughts? Also recommendations on decent amateur level bats would be useful.

Many thanks,

Chris

A good few years ago man maths told me it was a good idea to save money and make my own. By the time I’d bought the timber, primer, paint, net bats n balls + Labour I could have just bought one from Argos. :doh:

Look forward to seeing what you go for Chris. However, I’ve always wondered about outdoor ping-pong unless there’s virtually no wind. Maybe a heavy bouncy-ball would be a little more stable. :)

What type of balls do you need to play outside...?

However, I’ve always wondered about outdoor ping-pong unless there’s virtually no wind. Maybe a heavy bouncy-ball would be a little more stable. :)

No mate. I'm buying balls tied with elastic.

We bought a Dunlop table in 1996 for about £100...you can still get them for not much more.

It is in perfect condition.

We have a "Stiga" table similar to this but the "indoor performance" version. It's a quality product, very robust and clever design. Although very heavy, once assembled it can easily be moved around on its own wheels. Just had a look on ebay and they are for sale in UK but they do seem a bit pricey. Worth shopping around.

Performance Outdoor CS Table Tennis Table

I played against a guy called Sonny in West Auckland in 1979, he was a Maori and had his bat covered with what looked a bit like shag pile carpet. The spin it put on the ball was unreadable - completely.

I think he went on to become Auckland champ but with a standard bat. We also had the 1956 NZL Womens Champ - she was a real sweetie and taught me 80% of winning at table tennis is defense, block, block and block till the opponent lets loose something you can work with. She was spot on and eventually brought me up to a point where I could genuinely beat her. Then I found myself on the top table and got a severe kicking.
Great game is table tennis, hope to see it at site...?

Yea it's pretty impressive, I'd be painting the vertical mortar joints red to match the bricks, it would look stunning.

The machinery is very intimidating! :):)

I used to play at a reasonable club level, often playing county players and a couple of times against national players. Of course they all beat me! But that was a VERY long time ago and my knowledge of equipment is rusty to say the least. What no doubt remains pertinent is simply that you get what you pay for, but paying ten times as much doesn’t mean ten times better.

There’s no point paying several hundred pounds for a table and then placing it on an uneven surface. You’ll be negating the surface evenness that you’ll have paid a lot for. On the other hand, a cheap table on unstable legs will be no better than playing on the dining room table.

The same goes for bats. It’s possible to play with a plain bit of plywood (I once played a demonstration practice against England No 1 Chester Barnes when he used a frying pan, and was still brilliant) but you really need some decent rubber on preferably a 5-ply blade. Butterfly made good all round bats in my day and I undrestand that they’re still a good go-to. It’s best to get a feel of bats before buying, the weight and the grip vary quite a lot. I’d recommend paying around £20-25 each.

Whatever you do, make sure you look after the table and bats. Spend a few pounds on bat covers and never let them get subjected to high or low temperatures. And after all that expense, don’t skimp on balls. Your balls are important.

Enjoy.

Its funny, you've all concentrated on Chris's Balls but not the garage itself... I'm well impressed with all that gear in there mate, you must be fit as..:thumb:

I am fit, but keep breaking things. Been walking with a stick for the last 8 days thanks to the Ski Erg in the middle of the photo. Hence why I am trying to diversify into something a little more old man friendly - table tennis.

Yea it's pretty impressive, I'd be painting the vertical mortar joints red to match the bricks, it would look stunning.

The machinery is very intimidating! :):)

There's everything there you need to keep in great shape. I tend to do heavy cardio - by that I mean resistance cardio. In saying that Pilates remains my fav - nothing quite like it. Here's Sean Vigue demonstrating my fav routine (15 seconds in). I do this with 5kg on each foot = awesome tummy definition.

Pilates: Tornados

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an (outdoor) Kettler in the last place. It lived outdoors (under a cover) and was fine three years later when we moved and sold it.

I then inherited another outdoor Kettler for free from a neighbour who was moving. It was much older and pretty manky but it scrubbed up well and, more importantly, is still true.

When I did my research there were two kinds of outdoor tables - those that could live outside permanently and those that could withstand the odd shower.

Well there are some great ones on the market,with wheels so that moving it is easy and they fold up with a cover,but the most important thing to remember when playing table tennis is to make sure you play with your ball ,so if you are losing you can put it your pocket and say game over.

Well there are some great ones on the market,with wheels so that moving it is easy and they fold up with a cover,but the most important thing to remember when playing table tennis is to make sure you play with your ball ,so if you are losing you can put it your pocket and say game over.

Fantastic. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom