Recommended Dash Cams - and how to fit them!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rosetta

Car
C 200 SE 9G-Tronic Plus Auto
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm wanting to get a decent-ish dash cam for my new Merc. I had one in my old one, but it was only a front-facing one, a bit bulky, and fitted into the the cigarette lighter. I bought it and had it fitted at Halfords several years ago, but they said they couldn't install it directly into the Merc, because they were worried about disabling the Mercedes computer in the car - hence the charger stuck out the cigarette lighter, which I hated.

So basically, what I am after is:
Something that I can pay to get fitted and doesn't charge via the cigarette lighter (something that is installed directly?)
Preferably front and rear
If possible, something that can be used when I'm not in the car, (possibly has motion sensors? ie for supermarket car-park dings).
Isn't bulky, doesn't need a screen on it, maybe it uses an app on my smartphone? Something discreet.

Am I being unrealistic with my expectations if I say my budget is under £200? I can go slightly higher if it included fitting. Fitting is a must for me. Ideally, I would like to buy it in store, and a person simply fits it for me and I drive away, happy and content.

I am a complete novice with this technology, so any advice, recommendations and tips are welcome!

Your local Mercedes Indy may fit a dash cam ? Worth asking
Or a phone call to an auto electrician. They should both be able to hardwire the camera with cables out of sight .
My local auto electrician quoted about £60 to fit one . As I had 2 cars to fit cameras to , I did a bit of reading and did it myself .

Your local Mercedes Indy may fit a dash cam ? Worth asking
Or a phone call to an auto electrician. They should both be able to hardwire the camera with cables out of sight .
My local auto electrician quoted about £60 to fit one . As I had 2 cars to fit cameras to , I did a bit of reading and did it myself .

Thanks. I'll look into it. My job is stressful (ICU nurse), I can't deal with any other stress outside of work at the minute trying to fit something!

Blackvue cams tend to get very good reviews and are app based (no screen). They also offer a nationwide fitting service. Over your budget, but includes installation and the necessary power pack to run it as a parking monitor.

Halfords are full of rubbish, All you need is a hard wire kit for £10 and a fuse tap, I've done this in my C class, E class and SLK. all hard wired and very tidy.

I'm using next base cam which is able to be upgraded to add rear cam, but I choose not to due to the convertible roof.
Like above post ask a decent auto electrician, I did mines my self if you were close to Leicester would have been happy to do this for you :)

try road angel
I have Halo pro fitted both front and rear also professionally fitted whilst I was at work.
Not the cheapest but after service is brilliant
Hope this helps

Blackvue cams tend to get very good reviews and are app based (no screen). They also offer a nationwide fitting service. Over your budget, but includes installation and the necessary power pack to run it as a parking monitor.
I’ve had 2 Blackvue cameras for the last few years , both been faultless, good heads up with the fitting service buddy

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, it is above my budget, but if it includes fitting, so I don't mind. It's what I'm after: buy, fit, boom. It looks pretty good! Thanks!

Halfords are full of rubbish, All you need is a hard wire kit for £10 and a fuse tap, I've done this in my C class, E class and SLK. all hard wired and very tidy.

I'm using next base cam which is able to be upgraded to add rear cam, but I choose not to due to the convertible roof.
Like above post ask a decent auto electrician, I did mines my self if you were close to Leicester would have been happy to do this for you :)
Yes, it appears they are! Thank you for your offer, sadly, you're nearly two hours away.

Our techie recommended and then fitted an ......

APEMAN Dash Cams, Front and Rear, Support GPS 1080P Full HD Dual Lens Car Camera with IPS Screen, Dual Dash Cam with 170°Wide Angle, G-sensor, WDR, Night Vision, Motion Detection, Parking Monitoring​

9 months on still performing seemingly perfectly. IMO got to be a good buy for me at £39 from Amazon Prime. Still on sale AWS I believe.

Our techie recommended and then fitted an ......

APEMAN Dash Cams, Front and Rear, Support GPS 1080P Full HD Dual Lens Car Camera with IPS Screen, Dual Dash Cam with 170°Wide Angle, G-sensor, WDR, Night Vision, Motion Detection, Parking Monitoring​

9 months on still performing seemingly perfectly. IMO got to be a good buy for me at £39 from Amazon Prime. Still on sale AWS I believe.
1080p did't cut it for me. I couldn't really read some number plates in good light from the footage.

The Viofo A119 was what I was recommended.

Blackvue for me, 1st one lasted 4 years. Some of the newer models have wifi so you can download the footage to you phone instead of having to take the tiny memory card out.

The cam i bought alerts of speed cameras via satellite positions recorded over the years . It also alerts you when your speed exceeds the limit . I just wished I'd bought it before the 6 points 😪.

The cam i bought alerts of speed cameras via satellite positions recorded over the years . It also alerts you when your speed exceeds the limit . I just wished I'd bought it before the 6 points 😪.

I keep having to stick mine in cruise control!!

Don't where in West Yorkshire you are, but just over the hills in Rochdale is Autowhizz.
He's done a few for me, family, friends and colleagues.
You can supply your own, think we pay fitting of £40 for a front only or £70 with the rear. He also stocks cameras.
I bought a Nextbase F300, on offer at Costco for less than £50, then he did a very neat job fitting.
Lovely bloke too.
[email protected]

I keep having to stick mine in cruise control!!
I do , but the road went from 70 mph to 40 mph due to roadworks I didn't know where there , 2 overhead cameras got me . S$it happens :)

Spot on about Halfords👍 not a place for useful advice IMO..... Have just got a C200 convertible myself and looking at dash cam (like you, front only). Didyou piggy back from the fuse box in the passenger footwell and then up the A pillar, and which camera did you choose? Any pics of your instal?

Thanks
C

I’m a Blckvue kind of guy. I’ve put a DR900S or DR750S in our daily cars.

You can get a lm OBD2 Adaptor which plugs in to the diagnostics port beneath your steering wheel - it will allow the camera to use parking mode, but automatically switch it off when it needs to protect your car’s battery.

You stick the camera in position, plug the OBD2 Adaptor in, and then slip the cable beneath the trubber trim up your door, along the front edge of the roof liner and round to the camera. Just work out where best to hide the excess cable before final fitting.

It’s very straightforward. It must be, because I did it! It probably took be a steady 30 minutes for the first one, the second one took 20 minutes, and probably 15 minutes thereafter. Just take your time and you’ll be fine.

Don't where in West Yorkshire you are, but just over the hills in Rochdale is Autowhizz.
He's done a few for me, family, friends and colleagues.
You can supply your own, think we pay fitting of £40 for a front only or £70 with the rear. He also stocks cameras.
I bought a Nextbase F300, on offer at Costco for less than £50, then he did a very neat job fitting.
Lovely bloke too.
[email protected]
Cheers, thanks!

Spot on about Halfords👍 not a place for useful advice IMO..... Have just got a C200 convertible myself and looking at dash cam (like you, front only). Didyou piggy back from the fuse box in the passenger footwell and then up the A pillar, and which camera did you choose? Any pics of your instal?

Thanks
C
I started at the fuse box on the end of the dash on drivers side, ran wire up the dash, removed the rubber trim on door frame, about 8" up passed it across A pillar as did not want to remove all the trim, it is very tight but there is enough give the flex the A piller and pass wire, under the head liner, under the over head panel, mounted on the left side of OHCP, used hard wire kit and fuse tap to keep it tidy.

fuse box on end peice of dash, first fuse down 5 amp, is ignition only and works well, also enough room to tuck extra wire away.
Sorry no pics was quite excited and cracked on with it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom