Recommended Dashcam Hardwire Kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
Hi

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality dashcam hardwire kit, ones that are well sheilded from causing RF interference.

Hi

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality dashcam hardwire kit, ones that are well sheilded from causing RF interference.
I would suggest that the best Dash Cam Hardwire Kit would be the one that is compatible with your Dash Cam, :oops: some Kits come with the Camera, some have to be purchased separately!;)

I've guess that like me, you've had a problem with them being electrically very 'noisy'; it's an inherent feature of a switchmode power supply.
You can often get round the issue by routing the cable (and positioning the device) away from your radio antenna cable and/or using clip-on ferrites (not ferrets as I saw someone recommend once!)
It's one of the reasons why I've gone for a Blackvue camera on the Beemer; they run directly off the 12VDC.

If you use a piggyback fuse, a short lead to a trailing female ciggy socket (usually plenty of room to position it around the fuse box), you can then use the camera’s original lead and plug.

If you use a piggyback fuse, a short lead to a trailing female ciggy socket (usually plenty of room to position it around the fuse box), you can then use the camera’s original lead and plug.
That's a good work round; you just need to find a socket that doesn't allow the camera plug to drop out after a while. Or cobble together some Ty-Raps to hold the two parts together.

@SpikyMikey - yes it’s a pain that it interferes with the DAB signal in my van.

yes I may try an extra ferrite, clip on ones are cheap enough.
(avoiding the ferrets, you don’t want one of them up your trouser leg on a twisty road🤣)

shame that no one seems to produce a kit with a decent shielded cable and power supply :oops:

I have a hard wired Blackvue front and rear, and don't suffer any DAB drop out with my Pioneer set up. I think most DAB drop out issues are either head unit or antenna related. All my DAB/FM/AM/GPS signals are picked up via the amplified shark fin on the roof. even in central London and some pretty remote places the reception is very good.

My two Fiat vans that have factory fitted DAB head units are rubbish pretty much everywhere with or without a dash cam.

I did that on the CLK and put the female ciggy socket (from eBay) behind the dash . Using quick connect electric crimps to the existing ciggy socket wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom