Recommended films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Following on from the Darkest Hour thread, maybe one where new release films that have been watched recently can be reviewed and discussed?

My offering is a Jackie Chan/Pierce Brosnan thriller, The Foreigner.
Excellent yarn about a splinter IRA cell operating in London without the official IRA's consent.
Not to spoil it too much, but Jackie Chan is on a mission after an explosion kills his daughter. This takes him to N Ireland and back to the UK in his search for his daughters killers.

Excellent script, great fight scenes, and a realistic performance from Brosnan as an ex IRA terrorist now working for the Irish government and answering to Downing Street.
If I were a critic I'd give it 8/10

Trailer.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'll also add the current Oscar favourite, 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.
First off a brilliant performance from Frances McDormand as the lead character fed up with no progress in the search for the killer/rapist of her daughter (is there a theme going on here?) Great casting with her co stars Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell, the acting cannot be faulted.
But......a very unsatisfactory end with no closure and it took me over an hour to realise this was meant to be a dark comedy.

It will probably win a bucketload of awards, and individually the actors deserve them, but as a film its no Oscar great for me. 6.5/10

Trailer.

I’m going the opposite way here because last night I watched 2 awful films. I actually paid for one of them which really wound me up.

The Hatton Garden Job. Excruciatingly bad. Guy Ritchie wannabe movie.

The Dictator. Has Ben Kingsley got a tax bill or similar. This is a bad film and I’m a fan of SBC.

The Commuter.....

Is okay if you want 2 hours or so of escapism from (plot spoiler) Liam Neilson. He's type cast these days, but still okay at it (if you liked Taken etc)
Would recommend if you want to just watch and not think too hard (on a Merrkat night or the like)

Some interesting bits, lines and ideas, though you wont feel short changed if you like some predictability.
And if you commute on a train regularly, you'll connect to some of the plot.....

Darkest Hour is on my to do list though

Agree on the Hatton Garden Job.
No redeeming things to say about that at all.

Final one from me for the moment, released almost a year ago but only just watched it. The Circle, starring Emma Watson and Tom Hanks.

It's a look into the future, and a pretty scary one if it came to pass. Emma Watson does a pretty good job as lead actor getting a break, and a job in an innonative tech company. Her American accent holds up pretty well and its the first time I've seen her in anything other than frothy Harry Potter films. Tom Hanks co stars and as always is a screen presence.
Not everyone likes him, but I love the guy. Hasn't made a bad film since the BIG dross when he started out IMO.

Give it a go if you like science fiction and a pretty easy plot to follow. It's no classic but well thought out. 6/10

Trailer

Following on from the Darkest Hour thread, maybe one where new release films that have been watched recently can be reviewed and discussed?

My offering is a Jackie Chan/Pierce Brosnan thriller, The Foreigner.
Excellent yarn about a splinter IRA cell operating in London without the official IRA's consent.
Not to spoil it too much, but Jackie Chan is on a mission after an explosion kills his daughter. This takes him to N Ireland and back to the UK in his search for his daughters killers.

Excellent script, great fight scenes, and a realistic performance from Brosnan as an ex IRA terrorist now working for the Irish government and answering to Downing Street.
If I were a critic I'd give it 8/10

Trailer.
Yes, it's very good. And great performance from Gerry Adams, sorry, Piers Brosnan.

Me, Mrs Ant, daughter & friend went to see Coco yesterday. Fab film but at a total cost of £59

When did that happen FFS???

3 billboards, I watched this last year while working in the USA. Black comedy does not even come near to describing this film. Its whole subject is dark and disturbing and any comedy is incidental and just as brutal as the subject matter.

Let down by a very poor ending in my opinion. Still an Oscar winner though.

Me, Mrs Ant, daughter & friend went to see Coco yesterday. Fab film but at a total cost of £59

When did that happen FFS???

Yesterday?

Films are generally disappointing these days. Usually a waste of 90mins.

That is 30 years old.
Recent releases please:D

don't like new movies!
way to much cheap and nasty CGI effects.

I only fancy movies from the 60's to 90's.
slice 'em 'n' dice 'em effects was the way of Tom Savini and Rob Bottin.
William Lustig's Maniac from 1980 was a UK video PRE-CERT nasty.
Or The Burning from 1981, Cropsy is coming for you
I think you will like them if you're into horror flix?

recently watched Jackie Chan's - The Protector from 1985.
now that is a good movie, especially the J-C reworked H/K cut.
Bill Superfoot Wallace kicks like a horse and Jackie got smacked around! :)

Last edited:
^ Any chance we can keep on topic with recent 2017/18 releases please.
Open your own thread to discuss old films if you wish.

The Post, starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep carry this film very well. A great supporting cast and factually seems to be correct according to what I have seen and read in the past.
Just a pity that it just doesn't entertain in the way I would hope. I really had to try hard to stick with this and not turn it off. That isn't to say its bad, just too factual if thats possible. 6/10 only.

I saw "Three Billboards...." last Friday. Thought it was excellent, including the ending, which didn't disappoint in any way. Just left me with something to think about, which is no bad thing and probably what the Director intended.

^ Any chance we can keep on topic with recent 2017/18 releases please.
Open your own thread to discuss old films if you wish.

i'm not interested in starting a new thread
i thought you wanted recommendations?

i'm not interested in starting a new thread
i thought you wanted recommendations?

I did ask for recommendations.
I asked that the films be recent. I also asked for no older films, which you ignore.
You don't seem to be able to understand this simple logic, so I'll leave it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom