Recommended ISPs ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
Well, BT well and truly suck, to use an American phrase I hate..........

All the aggro they caused with my Broadband regrade (not to mention £300 in engineer costs we had to buy in), and then to top it all their service was down for 6 days - they have just offered £37.50 compensation :mad:

Can anyone recommend an ISP for 1MB broadband? BT charging about £65 per month plus VAT and don't deserve my business.

Will I need to change the website hosting which is with btconnect - I guess so, and hopefully thats not too difficult to orchestrate?

Any helpful suggestions.

Or should I just bite my lip and carry on.

Thanks

Marc

hmm , the unfortunate thing about adsl is that it all goes through BT no matter who youre with

bt is in layers:

1) BT : these are the people that you pay your line rental to

2) BT wholesale : sell the adsl connectivity to the ISP

3) BT Connect or similar : buy the service off bt wholesale and then sell it on.

Now , the only link in the chain you can break is step 3 about the supplier buying the white label service from BT Wholesale.

Now , the next question is ... do you really need 1mb ? if you don't demon internet are doing 512k for £19.99 on the IP stream service which is the better one to datastream offered by lower isp's such as NTL, tesco etc with their services .

In regards to web hosting , visit www.poundhost.com for excellent web hosting and its where i personally use to. I find their service fautless and have always been fast acting when i neede to make a change to anything.

Anything else , either post here or PM me . I used to work for ISP's doing this , so know quite a bit.

Thanks Fuzzer thats great advice

Marc

I don't know if you can get it, but where I live, Telewest just upgraded my Broadband to 1MB for no extra cost, £25 per month, worth a look

Quite a few of my mates (well nearly all of them actually - who have Broadband cnx!!)have gone with PlusNet http://www.plus.net/residential/

They seem to be very reasonable - and come out well in reviews. I'm waiting until July 13th 2005 before I can get Broadband - lets hope the prices keep falling.

Checkout http://www.adslguide.org.uk for some more ISPs....

Hope this helps.

I would recommend that you take a look at the various aspects of ISPs that users have reported over at http://www.adslguide.org.uk. Most ISPs are rated for customer service, speed, cost, etc. and it should help you make a decision.

I used to be with Pipex 1MB, and their broadband service was excellent. I had a couple of issues with their customer service, but I am sure that they were particular to my situation.

Now with Plusnet 2MB and couldn't complain if I tried.

Good luck choosing.

For anyone in london, i recommend Homechoice. The Internet is great, but the digital tv channels are amazing. Can watch recoreded programs later on etc, bit like sky plus.... And it costs less than most isp's charge for just broadband...

Otherwise i never had any problems with Zen. They were always v good....

Thanks

Jay

marc777 said:
Well, BT well and truly suck, to use an American phrase I hate..........

All the aggro they caused with my Broadband regrade (not to mention £300 in engineer costs we had to buy in), and then to top it all their service was down for 6 days - they have just offered £37.50 compensation :mad:

Can anyone recommend an ISP for 1MB broadband? BT charging about £65 per month plus VAT and don't deserve my business.

Will I need to change the website hosting which is with btconnect - I guess so, and hopefully thats not too difficult to orchestrate?

Any helpful suggestions.

Or should I just bite my lip and carry on.

Thanks

Marc

Marc, if you can get Telewest cable/broadband, do it. Brilliant service, well worth the money. I had it whilst living in Merseyside. Sadly, it's not available where I now live (near Carlisle). Try www.hi-velocity.it. I've taken a punt on them based on forum comments on adslguide and I don't regret it. Ordering was very easy, the staff have been great, the modem arrived very quickly, setup was a cinch and it only took them 9 days from placing the order to connect me. £23.99 per month for 1Mb, guaranteed not to go up but may drop! :bannana: :rock: and the minimum contract length is only 3 months. Highly recommended.

fuzzer said:
Now , the next question is ... do you really need 1mb ? if you don't demon internet are doing 512k for £19.99 on the IP stream service which is the better one to datastream offered by lower isp's such as NTL, tesco etc with their services .
I have been a Demon customer since early 1997, changed to broadband a couple of years ago and it's been great. Demon are a "traditional" ISP and as such it might take them a while to filter the latest technology down to the customers, this is probably due to testing etc so it's a benefit in the end. IIRC Demon have more trans-atlantic bandwidth than any other ISP in Europe.

Only problem I've had so far was when BT were playing with something at the exchange and they left me unplugged for a week - they said an engineer had to come to the house to check :rolleyes: . Not surprisingly the plug hanging out of the wall at the exchange was to blame. Demon did their best but they were basically liasing with BT and having worked with BT in the past I know they can be a frustrating bunch at the best of times ;) .

also have a look at eclipse internet.. they do a flex system - so you buy 256k, then boost it to 512 / 1mb 2mb at a fiuxed rate per minute / hour.

Myself, my brother (head of development at a top IT company) and my mate (director of IT for medium sized company) are all on it and all happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom