Recommended OBD Reader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

-AJC-

Car
ML 320 CDI
Can someone please recommend the most suitable OBD reader for a 2006 ML W164 for the home mechanic?

I don't want to break the bank and just looking to read and then clear spurious fault codes without a trip to the dealers.

Thanks

A good starting point would be the Torque app on your mobile, with compatible ODBII Bluetooth adaptor for around a tenner from eBay. It will only check for standard ODBII faults i.e. engine and transmission, i.e. it does not cover MB-specific systems such as ABS/ESP, SRS/Airbag, etc.
https://torque-bhp.com/

As a step up you could also consider Carly, this will cover some MB-specific systems and live data, but requires their propriety ODBII adaptor and will cost a bit more.
Carly for Mercedes - The Most Powerful Mercedes Solution

Was thinking of a standalone unit like this?

0f89fcee923daf072f48bf678a8bdf0a.jpg

£120 on Amazon or there are similar type readers for around £30.

I have the MB11 and find it very good all round, used it on the CLK and my Sprinter.

I bought a cheap ODBII Bluetooth scanner and a paid version of Torq, when I did my oil cooler change , it come up with nearly 60 faults , which went down to 7 which I just couldn't clear.
It seemed to be totally Radom, a few of the same ones kept coming up though , and the van would be fine ,then go on to limp mode after a few minutes.
Changed a exhaust sensor, at £80 as it always came up, didn't make a bit of difference though-still threw up the same code.

The van cleared itself , and started running fine- I think it just' reset' itself after a certain amount of on/off running cycles but the Torq app came up with the same 7 codes.
I was about to buy a new EGR valve at over £250 , until I decided to get it checked on a Star scanner, which came up with NO fault codes, none whatsoever regarding EGR or pressure sensors.

So it's a good gadget, but would now look to buy one like the Carsoft , as it just made me really paranoid, when there was in fact nothing wrong, I am in fact reluctant to try it again , in case it still has faults come up, which will worry me.

The Launch CReader series of tools are very good.
This is my favourite cheapy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010K3CG8U/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Of all the grab and go tools this is the best for the lollies !
I use it as a canary in the coal mine before plugging in expensive Pro scanners.

It great for reading OBD2 readiness monitors.
It has O2 lambda sensor read out and many more features.
In fact I fixed a seriously miss-firing Landrover Disco 2 with 4 litre petrol engine with this tool just for grins and giggles.

Good sturdy tool but a bit short maybe on the MB diesel stuff if I was going to be critical.
Tuercas Viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom